• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    Hey guys,

Last week my wife and i went to the range, me with my Hi Point C9 9mm and her with my father's High Standard H-D Military .22lr. my wfie hasn't been shooting for very log but s very quickly picking up the mechanincs of shooting and is doing very well with the High Standard. Below you will see her target for some shooting and i think it is kinda strange that nearly all of her shots were to the left of the bulls eye. I showed her how to properly aim the pistol and she takes her time with all her shots so i am guessin that the sights might need to be readjusted. any one have any suggestions on sighting in this semi? The rear sight looks tobe dove tailed into the slide so i know i can adjust but i have been unable to find any instruction as how to make the adjustments on this old pistol. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

abbytargetaimleft.gif
    Texas SOT

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Did you shoot the pistol just to rule out user error? Maybe have an experienced 3rd party shoot it as well?

Before I mess with the factory sights I would rule out shooter error. What distance were you shooting at?

I am seeing operator error more than bad sights. Now if these were grouped in tiny tight groups to the left, I would suspect the sights.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    The grouping is fairly consistient, from that I draw the conclusion she is doing the same thing with each shot.

If a third party shoots the pistol and shots are more centered then you need to look at her technique.

Some areas to consider are:

How she aligns the sight picture - Which eye she keeps open or does she keep both eyes open - what is her overall body position - does she flinch - does she keep aiming at the same spot or does she follow where the last round struck?

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I second, third, or whatever the hand count is now that you or a third part y should try it out first before you take it to a gunsmith. If the sights are set in a dovetail and the front sight fixed then its best to check and make sure its not shooter induced first. If it is and you take it to a smith, he'll zero the sights, then she'll shoot it again with probably the same result. If she is shooting with poor grip or form, then you will just be enforcing the behavior by adjusting the gun to the bad form.

Here is a handy little toy that turns up all the time when folks start talking about my gun consistently shoots here or there:

analysistarget.jpg

Its not the end all fix it, but its a good place to start looking.

Malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    thanks malladus. someone sent me that chart yesterday on another forum and it made great sense to me. I will try and shoot from a rest for a bit to see if it is user error and if still is messed up then i will take it to the Gun Doctor

Top Bottom