• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Over the past week or two I've noticed a weird pain in my upper arm/shoulder. Google tells me it in my deltoid.

Unrelated to lifting anything. I can pick up something heavy and not feel a thing.

No tenderness, bruising, or other external sign of an issue. No soreness of any kind.

But when I move my arm a certain way it will feel like there's a small razor blade buried in my arm. Happened once when I flipped a light switch off, another time shutting the door on the truck. Seems to happen several times a day or more, but not constant. I'll do something that's just a normal movement and get a sharp burning sensation in a very small area just below my shoulder in the muscle. Typically short lived. It's also difficult to cause it on demand by moving my arm around.

Any ideas what this might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Any soreness in your neck? Can You lift a dumbbell or other weight with your palm downwards and arms extending from side?

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Last edited:

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Pitching a baseball or raising arm up or out?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If I hold my arm parallel to the ground with elbow bent and bring my elbow back quickly (think of a punch moving in reverse) I can create the pinching/razor sensation, only about 50% of the sensation I get at other times. Varies from slightly noticeable to "grimace" with maybe a "dammit" thrown in for good measure. But when I usually feel it I'm not making any abrupt movement.

Last post was stopping at a store in the way home. When I got back in the truck I had one hand on the door as I climbed in the truck, nothing really extended or stressed, and it hit as I got in to the seat.

I can move my arm in pretty much any way I can think of and not feel it, figured out the reverse punch thing just now, only way I've found to make it happen on demand but it's not at all similar to anything I'm typically doing when it catches me by surprise.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ok, little bit more experimenting. Baseball pitch (best I can copy with my left hand anyways) has no effect.

However, if I raise my hand I can only raise my left hand to the point my upper arm is just past parallel to the ground while on my right hand I can get my upper arm pretty much perpendicular to the ground. It's like my left shoulder hits a stop half way and I can feel pressure (not pain) in the area where I've been getting the pinching sensation.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just put my left alone against the wall and leaned, arm went all the way up and now can raise my arm fully with no issue, but slight lingering pinching sensation when I lower it, kinda tight feeling now as well in a golf ball size area. Don't feel a knot or anything.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Possibly strained or torn ligament or rotator cuff needs imaging to confirm

Or arthritis in shoulder; relieved with Ice Elevation and NSAIDS or analgesics

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I know exactly what kind of pain you are talking about. I have had the same thing happen.

Mine seems to linger for a few weeks then go away, maybe for years.

I always assumed it is a pinched nerve but could also be a pulled muscle.

Usually when it hits I move my shoulder all around and stretch it out every way possible. I can't necessarily saw that helps but it does eventually go away.

I always assumed it was just a sign of getting old and left it at that.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I know exactly what kind of pain you are talking about. I have had the same thing happen.

Mine seems to linger for a few weeks then go away, maybe for years.

I always assumed it is a pinched nerve but could also be a pulled muscle.

Usually when it hits I move my shoulder all around and stretch it out every way possible. I can't necessarily saw that helps but it does eventually go away.

I always assumed it was just a sign of getting old and left it at that.

My experience exactly.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Bursitis I have the same coupled with arthritis in my shoulder. Ice and ibuprofen will help. It should go away for a bit but will return.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    I had unexplained shoulder pain a few years ago and assumed it was old age or overwork. Went to ViaScan to get their full body CT scan to check for heart attack risk, and they spotted a cyst in my scapula, right on the edge of the film. They weren't even looking for this but it was there. Long story short, it had to be removed surgically and packed with the medical profession's equivalent of JB Weld. If I hadn't gone to the doctor to see about it, it would have popped, destroyed the joint, and I'd have needed a total shoulder replacement instead of a patch up job.

My advice: Go see a doctor.

-Mark

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Doctor. Specifically othopod. Sounds like a rotator cuff tear. Surgery not that extreme but recovery and rehab sucks. Like not move arm for eight weeks.

I have a doc in dallas that is great with this type of stuff. He has done several surgeries for my family. If you're interested in coming this far I'll pm his name to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yeah I've got a similar somewhat random pain that moves around on the medial side of my arm. Never severe, most often in the flexor muscles of the forearm, occasionally will move to the bicep. The pain/discomfort never persists, it's weird. The sensation is much like a pulled muscle or similar when I can feel it, but it hasn't affected strength or anything. Kinda curious what caused it, figured I might have pulled it but it's stuck around for a few weeks now. Maybe I just keep aggravating it, who knows.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The answer "old age" is actually a good one! When I wake up in the morning, I take an inventory of what is hurting or jacking with me that day. Something is ALWAYS hurting. I used to say "It's a race to see what's going to kill me first!"
    I'm not going to minimize your pain but need to say honestly that it's not going to improve with age.

Not surprising, these Texas weather changes bring on unrelenting pain. Hot/cold, humid/dry cycles during the week just beg for some part or piece to raise Hell.

I've broken or F'ed up every piece of my body at least once. My nose was broken 4 times and skull fractured, too. Both sides of my collar bone were broken in different mishaps, and there are lots of other injuries........... the beat goes on.

Any old, long forgotten injuries will cause problems. Think back, was there ever an injury to that area? Even as a kid, did you fall off of a bike or had a big kid swing you around in a circle by your arms? The seed of your pain may have been planted decades ago.

I'm so stove up right now I can barely walk and I feel your pain. Best of luck to ya!

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No fence rubbing I'm aware of.

If it's something that requires surgery and 8 weeks of down time, I'll just live with it.

My neck is fine, no cricks.

I'm not in any kind of life altering pain. It's been more of a curiosity to me and a minor annoyance. Getting a CT scan or something seems extreme, but in not one to go to doctors either.

Top Bottom