• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What strange things have you found while out hunting, fishing?

I've found quite a few from: a red arm chair out in the middle of the woods (most likely put there by a hunter who left it there to rot); to what I am guessing was a hunting blind constructed of fairly flat stones that you would have to lay down in to get inside of it to be concealed; to a guy inside a hide he had made of pine branches who was trespassing on my uncle's farm and who just stared at me silently when I tried to talk to him (later found out he was part of a hunting party, the leader of which explained to me the guy had mental problems and rarely spoke; yet, they had left him alone in the woods armed with a hunting rifle while supposedly unknowingly trespassing); to this that I found while hunting on public land in the Cascade Valley State Forest in upstate NY in 2016:

target 1.jpg

target 2.jpg

target 3.jpg

target 4.jpg

target 5.jpg

I guess somebody needed a target to see if he was sighted in, otherwise just got bored and wanted badly to shoot something. Need I mention, while hunting, I am always on fairly high alert for morons especially when hunting on public land. Anyway, I wish I had something next to the hole for scale but as best I can remember it was around the size of a quarter. Figuring a shotgun slug was used to punch it. I've seen odd things that folks have shot at but this one won first prize for odd things I've found in the woods. By the way, in the first picture, it's propped just as I found it on the tree. I first noticed it from maybe 40-50 yards away at most. As I got closer to it, I was intrigued by the hole so took a closer look.

Attachments

• target 1.jpg
      target 1.jpg
      3 MB · Views: 1,246
    • target 2.jpg
      target 2.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 1,120
    • target 3.jpg
      target 3.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 1,115
    • target 4.jpg
      target 4.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 1,154
    • target 5.jpg
      target 5.jpg
      2.9 MB · Views: 1,100

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I was trout fishing on a river when my buddy and I pulled over on a sand beach to relieve ourselves. When I walked back across the beach from the willows, I noticed something odd about the sand. When I scooped up a handful I saw that it was not sand but shells. Looking up and down the river, we were standing on a shell mound that was 1/4 mile long and about 30 yards wide with a height of about 5 ft above the current water line. No telling how much was under water at the time. I learned later that the Indians who lived along the river for hundreds of years gathered fresh water clams and shelled them there for generations. It reminded me of the saying about how many grains of sand on a beach.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I believe I've told this on this site before - but most of you are gettin' old so...
    I hope Puma & Pea Fowl qualify for this thread.
    48 years ago, while down on the U.S. Govt. part of Hords Creek in Coleman County TX, gathering pecans, we found evidence of a big turkey roost. We already knew that there was a big flock running in this area. We noted the location of the roost, then Bro & I came back early in the morning to try to kill a turkey as they came off the roost. When we left the roost area that evening before, we saw a very large mountain lion paw print. It had been made in rather soft mud & so it was probably bigger than life size, but I remember the print being really big.
    It was still very dark when we arrived at where the roost supposedly was. Of course they'd moved their roost a little bit & we nosily made our way thru the brush & trees following the sound of the turkeys quietly gobbling as dawn was breaking. Just about the time we were close enough to get a shot (when it got a little lighter), there was a blood-curdling scream from essentially right where we were! Turkeys flew in all directions. Obviously, the mountain lion was among us & had decided to have turkey for breakfast -the same as us. Petrified with fear, Bro & I moved quickly, back to back, guns at the ready & left the creek ASAP. A few days later, we saw the turkey flock & for the first time, we noticed that there was a Pea Fowl running with the turkeys. A Pea Fowl has an alarming scream (that sounds a lot like a mountain lion, IMHO) & she had given her alarm & scared the rest of her flock off the roost. I.e., no Puma.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Nothing to add other than this thread gets my humble vote for one of the coolest topics of discussion I've ever read on TGT!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    A Pea Fowl has an alarming scream (that sounds a lot like a mountain lion, IMHO) & she had given her alarm & scared the rest of her flock off the roost. I.e., no Puma.
    I was reading a Steven King novel while on my break during the midnight shift while in the Border Patrol. I was parked out near some large fields near which were some small houses for field workers. I responded to a sensor hit and was out of my vehicle tracking some wets near the houses when out of nowhere there was a terrible set of scream like noises immediately followed by a kind of thumping noise that seemed headed right at me and wham I was hit in the head by something. I screamed loudly and swung my flashlight whacking it and saw in its beam that it had been a peacock. Scared the hell out of me like nothing before - especially after I'd been reading whatever King book I had been reading. I heard quite a few after that as they had plenty of them in that area on the ranches and farms. I guess they made great watchdogs so to speak. They also harvested the peacocks' feathers for commercial sales. I am guessing they also bred them and sold the birds as well. The second time I heard one I realized I had heard that sound many years before when as a kid I used to watch movies and television series about Tarzan, Jungle Jim, Bomba The Elephant Boy and whatever. In one or more of those shows they often used the sound of peacocks when depicting jungle scenes.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The second time I heard one I realized I had heard that sound many years before when as a kid I used to watch movies and television series about Tarzan, Jungle Jim, Bomba The Elephant Boy and whatever. In one or more of those shows they often used the sound of peacocks when depicting jungle scenes.

The sounds of Africa @ night can be very impressive! Few thing compare to lions roaring @ night & feeling it in you guts.

Top Bottom