Gun Zone Deals

straw purchases. my view from behind the counter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • an0nym0us

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Houston
    I have been at the gun counter at Academy when your typical trashy meth-head chick is browsing with her obviously "criminal" friend or boyfriend. Of course, she knows nothing about guns, she just hangs around while her thug friend points at the gun he wants and then pulls cash out of his back pocket and hands it to her. This is an obvious straw purchase scenario in which none of the employees have the nuts to say or do anything about it. Now, ya'll could say I'm stereo typing or discriminating, but I flat out don't care. If the same young lady showed up alone, asked intellegent questions and used money from her own pocket, I would have no problem with it but when the first question on the form says "Are you the actual purchaser of the firearm?", it blows me away when none of the employees do anything about it. They just personally witnessed the funds coming from another persons pocket. I appreciate your concern and hope you always emphasize question one on the form and let people know the penalties associated with violating it. Maybe your store policy should be changed to allow a limited number of guns per day. Who the hell really needs 3 Ars at once? - Not a hunter or typical law abiding citizen. Keep fighting the good fight and when in doubt, just don't do it. I'd rather lose my job over it than know that those guns will get into the wrong hands on my watch.

There have been a few occasions where I have pulled cash out of my wallet to pay for my girlfriend's gun. Does that make it a straw purchase? Sorry, I've been on both sides of the counter, I don't discriminate with my customers. I do engage them in some conversation and try to educate the ones who want to learn a bit about firearms, but I do not discriminate against my customers. I will refuse to sell a gun to someone who comes in reeking of alcohol or marijuana, but that person would also have to lie in the 4473 which is a crime in itself.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    After reading the OP, I was shocked to see that there are six pages to this nonsense. I guess I'll help push toward a seventh...

Looks like gun control BS in a pro 2nd amendment website to me. May as well have just used the term, "assault weapons". If I woke up tomorrow and felt like I wanted to go buy 3 AK's, 2 AR's, and a mini-14 (If I had that kind of money to begin with), then I won't have to explain to YOU that I like to tinker and did everything I could think of to my current firearms and have some bad ass ideas for all six of these. Looks like some other FFL'll be profiting off of a liberal employee's bad judgement call.

P.S. Tell Brady I said Hi.

Mr.Anderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Covington, Texas
    I am not going to defend any of the other gun sellers here. No I did not work at a gun store. I worked in the sporting goods department of Wally World, for about 3 years. In those 3 years I had a few known straw sales. It's easy to see who is doing it and who is not. Had a normal looking guy come up, he wanted to buy a cheap single shot 20 gauge. I did his paper work, called in, was told nope got a felony. So I denied his sale. His wife/girl friend was standing beside him most of the time. I have a great memory, and the next day she came in, and wanted to buy the same exacty shot gun, and I told her no. She got pissed and left.
    I'm not going to name all them, but the sales person has the right to refuse the sale for what ever reason. I only refused a sale if I knew it was going to get my ass thrown in jail for it. Had another guy come in and tell me he was buying a gun for a friend of his. I told him sorry I am not selling you a gun for a friend. I will sell your friend a gun if he wants to come in and buy it. He told me it was a birthday present. I told him to just get him a wal-mart gift card with the amount for the gun, I would even let him know how much the gun was tax and all. Was it a jerk move on my part? Maybe, but I didn't know and still do not know if his friend is a felon or not, and I will not go to jail over some felon getting a gun.

Rainman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Montgomery County, Texas
    Near scary straw purchase attempts happen more often than we would like. I actually have some pretty good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) stories...Dealers need to be ever vigilant, and err on the side of caution.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Near scary straw purchase attempts happen more often than we would like. I actually have some pretty good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) stories...Dealers need to be ever vigilant, and err on the side of caution.

Hello Mr. Rainman. I have heard a lot about you, and would like to hear these stories of straw purchases

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A straw purchase is when one person buys the gun, but it's actually for someone else (the other person is usually disqualified from legally owning/buying a gun). Convicted felons, etc....

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I went to a nearby LGS a few weeks ago with my wife looking for a CCW purse (for her not me lol). In walks this really sketchy looking guy and his dazed girlfriend neither of which were probably older than 22 or 23. The sketchy guys starts looking at a couple of LaRue ARs and proceeds to "educate" the guy behind the counter with the rifle's "stats"... all of which were way off base. Anyway, at some point he says he'll take one of the PredatARs. When the storekeeper asks if he has a criminal record he says, "Why? Does it matter?" When the shopkeeper says, "Yes it does. I can't sell you a firearm if you have a record" he, in turn, asks, "What if the offense is still in court?"

At this point the shopkeeper is curious and so am I (but I reach down discretely to make sure my shirt isn't binding up my holster... just in case). The shopkeeper asks, "What were you charged with?" The young man replies, "Assault..." The shopkeeper glances around and says firmly, "You're going to have to leave. I cannot and WILL NOT sell you a firearm." Suddenly, the equally sketchy girlfriend meekly asks, "Can you sell it to me so I can let him borrow it?"

The shopkeeper looks them both dead in the eyes and says (again, firmly), "BOTH of you have to leave now." They do so. True story.

Goes to show that the guys behind the counter have all the power (and responsibility) to do the right thing if a purchase seems even remotely off-kilt. Needless to say, I'll be frequenting that shop more often to give them a healthy dose of my business...

Top Bottom