0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2016
    Kingsbury
    Hulu, sling, youtube TV, etc.......

What's best?
    What to avoid?

I'm tired of googling.
    I did keyword searches here.
    Get a fire stick and look up cinemahd, cyberflix, film +, few more. But they are called apk. Havnt paid for a streaming service for 4 yrs now.
    Capitol Armory ad

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Look at a Tablo device if you're in an area where you can get Over-the-Air (OTA).

The Tablo hooks to an OTA Antenna, then broadcasts to all your TV's via your WiFi network. No need to hook up each TV. Mine has 4 tuners and also has a DVR. It downloads a channel guide via the net. It also comes with a bunch of streaming channels. Brilliant idea. No monthly fee. Just buy the device for like $100.

You install an app on your TV to access it.

The downside: it can be wonky. Native Roku TV's seem to give the most trouble. Roku sticks are better. Does not support Apple TV. I get 190+ channels here in Houston. Lots of duplicates though and shopping/foreign language of course.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Hulu, sling, youtube TV, etc.......

What's best?
    What to avoid?

I'm tired of googling.
    I did keyword searches here.

I have HULU and Netflix. Tons of good content. And since I use Amazon, Prime is free.

YouTube TV costs a lot more, but you can use it like a DVR. You can record shows even if you aren’t there. You have a “library” to park stuff in. You pick shows and it puts them in your library automatically after they air.

It should be noted that YouTube TV is like watching regular tv so it has commercials. If you record, you can usually fast forward through the commercials.

ETA I use a $39 ROKU to watch it all.

Last edited:

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    For those of you who get HBOMax (now just called Max) free because you have AT&T Cellular:

We did too. Then we ADDED my Mom to our family cell plan. The next month, we lost Max. We called HBO and they said to call AT&T. We called AT&T and they said they no longer offer Max with AT&T.

Here's the kicker:

Anybody who currently has it, is grandfathered...UNTIL THEY MAKE A CHANGE to their AT&T plan.

I complained to AT&T that our change involved expanding our plan and giving them a NEW customer. They said it did not matter...any change to the plan would sever the complimentary service.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    we had direct TV for almost twenty years and had the same package all those years and it kept going up in price i don't miss them one bit!
    Each time they increased the price, I reduced the package. They increased it one time too many. I had to do the same with satellite radio.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Each time they increased the price, I reduced the package. They increased it one time too many. I had to do the same with satellite radio.
    That's what we are doing with Dish, price increase we get less. Only reason we kept it so far is wife doesn't like change. I have a smart TV and can use apps, she doesn't want to learn. I don't like switching from Dish to OTA for local channels, one of the cutbacks with Dish.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    For those of you who get HBOMax (now just called Max) free because you have AT&T Cellular:

We did too. Then we ADDED my Mom to our family cell plan. The next month, we lost Max. We called HBO and they said to call AT&T. We called AT&T and they said they no longer offer Max with AT&T.

Here's the kicker:

Anybody who currently has it, is grandfathered...UNTIL THEY MAKE A CHANGE to their AT&T plan.

I complained to AT&T that our change involved expanding our plan and giving them a NEW customer. They said it did not matter...any change to the plan would sever the complimentary service.
    Switch to Cricket. It looks like they still give away the MAX and they run on AT&T's network. We're very happy with it. The only gripe is they instituted a $35 "transaction fee" so anytime we do anything (like say get a new phone) there's that charge. But everytime I look at another plan it's either more or we get less for little savings.

We have the MAX from Cricket. Paramount courtesy of Walmart+. I paid for Peacock when they had it for $10 for the entire year at Christmas time. We have a legally shared Netflix. Plus the free TUBI and all that stuff we get with the Tablo there's more than enough. In fact, in spite of hundreds of channels I can never find anything to watch.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I'm happy that I finally got rid of Directv.

we had direct TV for almost twenty years and had the same package all those years and it kept going up in price i don't miss them one bit!

Yeah I ain't doing that again either. I'd rather get it mostly free but if I had to pay for it youtube.tv is pretty good and you can dump it anytime. Unlike DirectTV, which is harder to get rid of than a wife.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We did Hulu for a couple of years then they started going up in price so we went with Sling. Took the blue package and added the Hollywood add on. Only missing the Magnolia network, so no more Barnwood builders. But @ 46 bucks a month, we are happy.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    We had DirecTv just for Sunday Ticket but chunked it . Wife followed Colt McCoy all over the NFL each week in case he got to play as backup QB.

Top Bottom