• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Recently had an older neighbor ask me to check their backyard, as they thought someone was up close to the house.

Streamlight TLR 1 mounted on a 45 degree rail adapter worked extremely well. I was very pleased.

No prowler, thankfully.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Those lights ain't meant to be used as a search light. It gives away your position.

A weapon mounted light is for intermediate use. You flash the target for a disorientation/blinding effect and then you fire.

A yard full of flood lights is what needs to happen. If someone wanted you dead. They knew where to find you. Behind the weapons light.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Those lights ain't meant to be used as a search light. It gives away your position.

A weapon mounted light is for intermediate use. You flash the target for a disorientation/blinding effect and then you fire.

A yard full of flood lights is what needs to happen. If someone wanted you dead. They knew where to find you. Behind the weapons light.

Well, it would have been nice if their back yard had flood lights. But it doesn't.

So had to use something. Could have rented a light plant and towed it home, but the rental place was closed. And I was fresh out of mortar launched flares.

So it was either a flash light or a weapons mounted light. Either gives your position away. And I prefer not to tie up the second hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Well, it would have been nice if their back yard had flood lights. But it doesn't.

So had to use something. Could have rented a light plant and towed it home, but the rental place was closed. And I was fresh out of mortar launched flares.

So it was either a flash light or a weapons mounted light. Either gives your position away. And I prefer not to tie up the second hand.

Using your natural night vision and hearing. You can hear an adult human move within the yard. You hear a sound or see movement. Draw and illuminate. Clear that spot and the light go's off. Continue searching along the fence. Illuminate possible threats but at the same time keep the light to a minimum.

Your movement between light flashes is the safest. If the light comes on, you've made that choice to give away your position to address a possible threat. The recipe here what you're considering a threat in your friends backyard.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Using your natural night vision and hearing. You can hear an adult human move within the yard. You hear a sound or see movement. Draw and illuminate. Clear that spot and the light go's off. Continue searching along the fence. Illuminate possible threats but at the same time keep the light to a minimum.

Your movement between light flashes is the safest. If the light comes on, you've made that choice to give away your position to address a possible threat. The recipe here what you're considering a threat in your friends backyard.

You don't even know what I did, yet you are critical?

My night vision is pretty good, but some areas were just too dark to see.

And night vision is destroyed the first time the light comes on. Look first. Can't see anything. Then use the light to reach those areas where night vision just could not do the job.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    You don't even know what I did, yet you are critical?

My night vision is pretty good, but some areas were just too dark to see.

And night vision is destroyed the first time the light comes on. Look first. Can't see anything. Then use the light to reach those areas where night vision just could not do the job.
    Holy Shit!!! You’re lucky to be alive.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I commend you on helping out.

Don't take what Glock is saying with a hard heart. He's only trying to help and what he is saying is on point.

Walking around with a bright light is very dangerous. The "perps" eyes are dilated and "their" vision is use to the dark. With a light "on" your like a light house to the "perp". Easy pickings.

Glad it went A.O.K.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Amazing how many omniscient people are on this board. Somehow they all know exactly what I did, even though they were not there and were not told. Wow. I should have just posted on the board and asked if these all knowing, all present folks would tell me if there was anyone in that backyard. Would have saved me having to get up off the couch.

Try to give folks a little feedback on a piece of gear and a couple of people just can't resist the opportunity to try and make themselves look like experts.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Nope. Just reinforced the fact. I need a light on my pistol.

Edit: Because I typed a sentence in my head and not on the keyboard.

Nope. *Ya done did good.* Just reinforced the fact. I need a light on my pistol.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Wow. I should have just posted on the board and asked if these all knowing, all present folks would tell me if there was anyone in that backyard. Would have saved me having to get up off the couch.

Claymores are what you seek.

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    OA,

Ya done good.

Ignore the nay sayers.

Sheesh, a guys does a neighbor a good turn and he's chastised because he performed his good deed the way he thought best...and a whole host of 'johnny tact-i-kools' know better...man.......

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom