• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a choate mark 5 pistol grip buttstock for a Mossberg 500 that when I was putting the recoil pad and spacer back on i used the long screws and a power drill to put them on and then realized I screwed up. (Yes this was a while ago and I know it was stupid so lets move past that part please) The stock inevitably wound up stripped out. Is there anything out there that i can inject down the holes to bring them back to solid and then drill and tap (maybe) the holes back into the stock?
    Lynx Defense

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    You could also use some super glue. Pour the glue down the stripped holes, insert screws, and wait for it to dry. I used to do this with Delrin plastics on R/C cars. It might work with the Syn. Stock

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I tried epoxy but that didn't work real well, but I couldn't get it down in the holes real well either. Is their like a syringe type applicator for jb weld or bondo I think that would work but I'm not sure if I could get the screws back out after i put them in. I was thinking of getting the epoxy with the mixing syringe but I wasn't sure if it would work.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Do not believe that using a syringe would work as you require a substance that is thicker than what would flow through such a narrow passage.

Epoxy or JB weld. You can use a toothpick, or part of a coaster (the cardboard type they put under your drinks at most sports bars etc) to push as much into the hole as you can. I am suspecting that the piece is hollow? if so you want to get the mix to form a plug on the inside of the hole so after you get in as much as you can, put a piece of tape over the hole and let the mix firm up with the hole in a down position. Let it harden overnight, drill it and tap for your screw. (( Side note, the coasters are excellent for a multitude of things on the bench. I always pick up a couple as I use them to mix epoxy/jb weld on them. They work great under solvent or oil bottles also can be used to protect items you want to hold in your vice. etc. ))

Or, if you can use a thicker screw... take this route.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    so can you locate the part number for the screws??? I would like to check them out and see what kind/size screw needs to be used before throwing out a possible option...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I fill holes like that all the time. I use Harbor Freight quick set epoxy and use a wire to make certain the epoxy gets down the hole. After it sets up, I re-drill a pilot hole and reinstall the screw.

Flash

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm sorry I've been busy lately. Choate say's they'll fix it or replace it even though I messed it up for free. I need to call back and verify this (cz the laddy that answerd the phone sounded annoyed and wasn't exactly a plethera of information) but if they'll do that then I'll go that route. If not then I think I'll try my hand at the epoxy approach one more time. Thanks for all the feed back. Now if bigger screws are used (I'm sorry I don't have a calliper or a measurement.) I would have to drill the rubber on the pad and the spacers out right?

SpikeTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Richmond
    Unfortunately you would need to drill out all components the larger screw would go through. I would do as recommended and use epoxy, let set, then drill a small pilot hole to make it easier for the tap drill size required.

Using a larger screw is just that larger! that means the head and all is larger and could make it look funny or protrude due to the head size. If it is a button head or flat head the larger size would require a larger counter sink.

Epoxy and proceed unless they will repair it.

One more thing is if it is a blind hole and pending size you will need a bottom tap and extreme care when drilling as not to break through.

Top Bottom