• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Fire that prick immediately. That is direct infringement of the First Amendment in my opinion.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Reminds me of what my freshman-year geography/world history teacher did. Fucker failed everyone who expressed any ideals that weren't Democratic (he held some random office in a neighboring township, too).

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    If a teacher gives an open-ended assignment like that, he doesn't get to put conditions on subject matter after the fact. Unproffessional and sadly unsurprising.

Last edited:

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Everyone has opinions, everyone makes mistakes. I believe he should be allowed to explain his position in an essay due Monday. He should cover the impact that giving an open ended assignment then imposing restrictions after it has been completed affects student grades as well as their faith in the education system and freedom of speech. It should then be checked very closely for spelling and grammar errors, a word count done and then let him know that it was to be only 1000 words long and he is suspended without pay till it is re done and reviewed. Reviews to be held Mondays with additional rules or requirements provided for guidance on how it should be redone just before the review.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Everyone has opinions, everyone makes mistakes. I believe he should be allowed to explain his position in an essay due Monday. He should cover the impact that giving an open ended assignment then imposing restrictions after it has been completed affects student grades as well as their faith in the education system and freedom of speech. It should then be checked very closely for spelling and grammar errors, a word count done and then let him know that it was to be only 1000 words long and he is suspended without pay till it is re done and reviewed. Reviews to be held Mondays with additional rules or requirements provided for guidance on how it should be redone just before the review.
    i like this

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013

Thanks, man.. You made me shoot Dr Pepper out my nose. D'you have any idea how bad that stings?

Seriously though, I'm gonna post that on Facebook if it's alright with ya.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Seems appropriate both as a disciplinary measure and as an object lesson. He should also write "Guns do not equate to violence, to believe they do is an example of flawed reasoning" on every blackboard in the school 5000 times.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I saw the kid and Mom on TV. They both presented a very calm, logical and reasoned response and request to the school. Initially, the teacher only apologized for THEM misunderstanding HIM. Mom and son said nit good enough. He since apologized properly.

There are fine examples of how to fight bias.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Denton High School | Christian, Dewey - English

christiand.jpg

Dewey Christian
    phone: 369-2089
    Tutorial Times:

Position:
    Teacher
    Education:
    (or experience)
    Bachelor of Arts,Wiley College, MM. University of Oklahoma,Doctorial Studies, University of Oregon
    Certifications: Music, French,English

Background:
    Taught at Wiley College, Uniiversity of Oklahoma, Garland ISD, Dallas ISD, Eugene(OR) Public Schools
    Teaching Philosophy:
    Ideal teaching prepares students for successful interaction with their immediate and global environment.

Accomplishments or Personal Information –
    Hobbies, Family info, etc.

Member of Trinity United Methodist Church-Concert Pianist-Composer-Linguist

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I read the article and if that is correct, the kid was within the bounds of the assignment. If a subject was "off limits" that should have been stated upfront.

As to firing the teacher, that's bull shit. These things should be talked out and settled. Teachers are Human and make errors, too but to fire him over this is messed up. I agree that limiting the assignment after the fact was tacky and I believe the teacher should allow the assignment to be graded by an impartial third party.

That being said, the teacher should have his head examined. With HS students, you MUST set limits. Those little peckers will take an assignment like "Write about anything that you're interested in" and come out with outrageous topics! Counting and categorizing the number of hairs on his girl friend's........you know.....will be coming right up! The teacher doesn't sound like he was accustomed to working with teenagers.

Flash

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I read the article and if that is correct, the kid was within the bounds of the assignment. If a subject was "off limits" that should have been stated upfront.

As to firing the teacher, that's bull shit. These things should be talked out and settled. Teachers are Human and make errors, too but to fire him over this is messed up. I agree that limiting the assignment after the fact was tacky and I believe the teacher should allow the assignment to be graded by an impartial third party.

That being said, the teacher should have his head examined. With HS students, you MUST set limits. Those little peckers will take an assignment like "Write about anything that you're interested in" and come out with outrageous topics! Counting and categorizing the number of hairs on his girl friend's........you know.....will be coming right up! The teacher doesn't sound like he was accustomed to working with teenagers.

Flash

What? No way. I refuse to believe teenagers would take an assignment out of context like that. I remember getting assignments like that when we were teenagers and we never wrote about inappropriate topics... never :rolleyes:

But I agree, firing is a bit harsh...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    As a retired teacher who worked with teens and adults for 22 years, then worked in the Texas Prison system, I have seen it ALL! If there is ANY way a student can screw you on an assignment, they will.

Flash

Top Bottom