• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    So I just replaced the power steering pump on my wife's car. It's a 2004 Acura TSX. It has been leaking pretty bad for about 2 weeks. Right before I replaced it we started having problems with the right headlight. It only flickers a little when it's first turned on, then goes out. I am thinking the headlight is screwed up because the back of it (and the control module for the HID) was soaked in PS fluid.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if HID shit wasn't so expensive. Anyway, I plan on pulling the headlight tomorrow and cleaning it off as best I can. I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping that the flickering means the control module isn't completely burned up.

Any advice?
    DK Firearms

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    the flickering is usually a sign its ballast is going out or an electrical issue not letting it get enough power. hopefully cleaning it helps.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    You "could" use an aftermarket kit. You all ready have the HID lens which is the most important part of the system and one of the most non-used part that those ricers and "my truck is taller than yours" don't use.

I know there are a lot of cheap kits, but there are actually good name brand ones that use philips HID bulbs or keep your out of for used OEM on ebay or junk yards.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    it really wouldnt be too much engineering. most ballasts are made the same concept in that they are all plug and play to replace existing ballasts. im sure even the mini/micro ballasts accept the same standard wiring/plugs.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I've never taken an HID ballast apart but if it's like some other ballast then it's circuitry inside dried tar/rubber stuff.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So I just replaced the power steering pump on my wife's car. It's a 2004 Acura TSX. It has been leaking pretty bad for about 2 weeks. Right before I replaced it we started having problems with the right headlight. It only flickers a little when it's first turned on, then goes out. I am thinking the headlight is screwed up because the back of it (and the control module for the HID) was soaked in PS fluid.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if HID shit wasn't so expensive. Anyway, I plan on pulling the headlight tomorrow and cleaning it off as best I can. I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping that the flickering means the control module isn't completely burned up.

Any advice?

The last few times I've seen a HID light and go out almost immediately, it's been a lamp. Good luck, and watch the high voltage. If you want to clean it, try cleaning it with some electronic cleaner, nothing but.

Guessing can get expensive fast... Even the lamps are stupid money.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    This looks like a burnt bulb to me.
    IMAG0242.jpg

But a bad ballast will burn the bulb so I took it apart and it is clean. That doesn't mean it's not bad though.

Maybe I should let the dealer diagnose it. I hate going to a dealer though.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    After pulling the other side, I guess they are supposed to look like that.

Just for shits and giggles, I took the bulb from the bad side and put it on the good side. It just flickers.

I am going to sell this thing, buy an old Chevy truck and let the wife drive my car. :banghead:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I paid 78 bucks for a bulb replacement on TBHs Mazda6. Freakin fender had to come off!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    After pulling the other side, I guess they are supposed to look like that.

Just for shits and giggles, I took the bulb from the bad side and put it on the good side. It just flickers.

I am going to sell this thing, buy an old Chevy truck and let the wife drive my car. :banghead:

Congats, you just stumbled into the method the dealership would have used to diagnose your problem.

Survey says - bad bulb. Replace it and go on with your life.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    yeah it seems like more and more these days you have to remove the whole front end to change lights out. luckily sometimes you can get it out an easier way that might involve cutting and trimming useless metal.

Top Bottom