• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've been picking up brass at my club range for the past couple of months. I ended up with around 8 gallons of pistol brass.

Yesterday I sat down and used my Shell Sorters to sort the brass. Great tool that really cuts down the time.

Once ran through the Shell Sorters I had to sort the 10mm/.40 Short and Weak by hand. Same for the .380/9mm/.38 Super. I did that last sort this afternoon.

Then I decided to reload some 9mm. I grabbed a bucket of what I thought was 9mm brass and threw it into the case feeder.

You guessed it, it was the .380/.38 Super brass. I already had some 9mm in the case feeder so it was a mess. Had to sort it again.

Next time when I'm done sorting I'll put away all the brass before I start reloading.
    Lynx Defense

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Then I decided to reload some 9mm. I grabbed a bucket of what I thought was 9mm brass and threw it into the case feeder.

You guessed it, it was the .380/.38 Super brass. I already had some 9mm in the case feeder so it was a mess. Had to sort it again...

Do you use something colored to segregate all your components and dies?

I.E, red tape on the reloader (assuming red=9mm) red bucket for the associated brass?

I don’t reload, but have used similar methods in the past for this kind of procedure.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    81FBD747-7DEF-4503-A154-371A2257FABB.jpeg I use clear plastic containers that hold about 1000 9mm cases for the “working brass” that get tumbled and reloaded but I label the 5 gallon buckets.

But I do not like to have those devils spawn .380’s any where near the Dillon. Don’t have a case feeder and a couple of times I missed a .380 during a 9mm session and I usually catch them but it interrupts the process.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I’ve done that before and had to reach up and pull out all of the cases out the Dillon case feeder..sucks to do it.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I use containers like Rusty does. My boss is nice enough always have nuts to snack on at the office, and everyone knows I get the containers.

I use them to sort brass, hardware, and fittings. They’re really handy, and I’ve finally replaced all the old coffee cans I had junk stored in.

Bulk brass gets stored in 5 gallon buckets (9mm, 233, 308) I leave those out at the Farm.

I also color code:

9mm is pink
    6.5cm is red
    223 is blue
    40 s&w is orange

And so forth.

380, and other calibers that I do not reload for, gets tossed into the “brass giveaway” grab bag.

67331f30dfbb7aad9fe581267f943fdd.jpg

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Gummi,

I like the color code idea. How do you color code is it the tape? Or do you have different colored lids for the containers?

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I color code the dies, and all reloaded ammo containers.

For example: my 300BLK rifle is tan (it is my go-to rifle around the ranch). So is the magazines for it, and all of the ammo containers. All pieces go in a tan colored ammo can.
    9ae07cf7cb24220d90e17bb61b7bdeae.jpg
    . Here ya can see the tan rifle and magazine (everything I own gets an orange floorplate)

When I grab and go for a hunting trip, I just grab the tan can and everything is all in one place.

I just put huge labels on my brass to be reloaded. By the time brass gets into the storage containers, I’ve checked the Head stamps at least 3 times. You’ll also notice the tag inside the clear containers. That is a checklist that I created for brass prep. It lets me keep track of what processes have been completed on that batch of brass.

Henry David Thoreau

Last edited:

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Great idea. I am using those heavy rubber bands that people wear on their wrist to mark mags and the rifle. My rubber bands say 300 AAC to mark 300 BLK mag and the rifle. I will follow your lead and mark the ammo box mags and the rifle all the same color.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I’m terrified that one day I might shove a 300BLK mag into my 223 or something similar.

It’s working pretty good for me.

Now, all that said, I have a “Go” box that gets taken on every trip, no matter what (it is an orange dry box/ ammo can). It has a few basic tools and lube, bipod and a couple sandbags, some targets, wildlife transfer forms, and other stuff. It also has a few rounds for every firearm I own in a magazine or ammo containers. I made the mistake once of going on a hunting trip, and forgot my darn ammo. I’ll never do that again.

I’ll try to remember to snap a picture of it tomorrow when I get out to the Farm.

Henry David Thoreau

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I’m terrified that one day I might shove a 300BLK mag into my 223 or something similar.

Now, all that said, I have a “Go” box that gets taken on every trip, no matter what (it is an orange dry box/ ammo can). It has a few basic tools and lube, bipod and a couple sandbags, some targets, wildlife transfer forms, and other stuff. It also has a few rounds for every firearm I own in a magazine or ammo containers. I made the mistake once of going on a hunting trip, and forgot my darn ammo. I’ll never do that again.

I’ll try to remember to snap a picture of it tomorrow when I get out to the Farm.

Henry David Thoreau

Inquiring minds need to know, what kind of lube?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Henry David Thoreau
    I think it would be pretty tough to get a 300BLK to load in a .223 chamber. I have more of a fear of getting a .223 loaded in my 300BLK!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    With that bullet it might be able to be done. With the 212 gr. Hornady bullet I'd bet it will not load (I'll check this later and report back).

I guess with enough pressure on the bolt, one could shove the bullet down the case neck far enough to allow the bolt to lock up.

A .223 would go into a .300 Blk chamber barrel easily with no force necessary.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I've never understood the .223/.300BO fear. Sure, you could easily do it. But you could also easily shoot yourself in the foot.

Both can be avoided by simply paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100%

That said, if I can add another layer of protection to prevent a brain fart from happening, and it’s as simple as some color coding, it’s an easy sell in my book.

Here is my “Go Box”
    e7dc874d43179ff23eb0fbbce760a669.jpg

And an example of my storage:

2a26853e8eed8e42af2a24d102afe1be.jpg

It’s also helpful if I can’t make it to the Farm, and my wife, or my folks can grab gear for me to go hunting the next weekend, I can trll them to grab my big orange box and whichever color crate for the rifle I wanna take.

The Eagle Scout in me is always trying to be prepared.

Henry David Thoreau

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom