• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    If only more newbs would search threads before posting the world would be a better place, but I'm still not partial to bona fide beatdowns. Not laying down judgments in this case, just speaking of forums in general.
    Gun Zone Deals

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    A suggestion maybe:

Newer members, say under 25 posts, have to have new threads approved by moderators before they are posted? Save everybody some face.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Most gun forums are composed of persons of whom are mostly of a conservative or at least a semi conservative frame of mind. The discussions normally are firearm related but vary to politics, occasionally some offbrand religion, and racial rants, sexual perversion and general man talk.

Sooner or later a liberal, ultra liberal, or so will drop in, stir the pot and the words fly
    like buzzards from a dead sheep...It happens, and folks sometimes get barred for life
    in their choice of words for a hated religion of race...Moral of the story is: When
    the houseflies get in, just ignore them, they will go away. Swatting them is for the boss man...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I went back and re read that whole thing and first, it doesn't appear to me the OP had a real QUESTION, but rather thought that what he posed would stir a lively debate and create a long thread and help him become part of the group.(nothing wrong with that per se) And I say that because that topic has been beat to death on every gun forum, at every gun shop, at the barber shop...you name it, anywhere guns an ammo are discussed. . You would have to be living under a rock, or be an absolute newbee to the gun world not to have seen long discussions that subject that generally go no where except everyone agreeing that their caliber of choice is acceptable.

Should the OP have been coddled a little because he['s new... yeah maybe, but he also could have come back with some sort of light-hearted banter to diffuse the situation.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I went back and re read that whole thing and first, it doesn't appear to me the OP had a real QUESTION, but rather thought that what he posed would stir a lively debate and create a long thread and help him become part of the group.(nothing wrong with that per se) And I say that because that topic has been beat to death on every gun forum, at every gun shop, at the barber shop...you name it, anywhere guns an ammo are discussed. . You would have to be living under a rock, or be an absolute newbee to the gun world not to have seen long discussions that subject that generally go no where except everyone agreeing that their caliber of choice is acceptable.

Should the OP have been coddled a little because he['s new... yeah maybe, but he also could have come back with some sort of light-hearted banter to diffuse the situation.

Thanks Navy!
    I have a post back a ways that I deleted and left the comment "no comment"
    You said what I was trying to say without coming off as a asshat - Thank you!
    I suspect that the OP was young and may have not yet learned the skills to diffuse a situation such as this one.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    You guys could always PM him this ...

red-roses.gif

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Thanks Navy!
    I have a post back a ways that I deleted and left the comment "no comment"
    You said what I was trying to say without coming off as a asshat - Thank you!
    I suspect that the OP was young and may have not yet learned the skills to diffuse a situation such as this one.

That is my whole point of this rant, to say that we all come in different walks of life, old, young, experienced shooters, newbee's, well to do, poor, ugly (like me), etc.

I am sure that people post questions for many reasons: Actuall have a question, to stir a debate pot, to boost their post numbers and to just B.S. with others. Nothing wrong with most of that.

Just keep in mind that there is another person (that you probably don't know or have any idea as to what they know about anything) on the other end , on a keyboard.

I reread that thread again too, and could you imagine if you were a newbee, how it would look to you ? Put yourself in HIS shoes for a second and think about it. True, THEY need to toughen up a bit too.

I know that it was all in fun, but this was the OP's FIRST post ! All I am sayin is to let newbee's get their feet wet before you drown them.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I stayed outta that one...but for a reason - I smelled a HUGE troll. With a "macho" tag like his, the very nature of his question (and the vagueness thereof) told me he was WANTING to stir stuff up - and when he did, he didn't like what he read. It's like some of the threads that get tossed out here from time to time, where the OP says "discuss". Screw that - I'm not someone's lab rat. Don't toss stuff into the middle of the room just for the sake of "discussion"....

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I know that it was all in fun, but this was the OP's FIRST post ! All I am sayin is to let newbee's get their feet wet before you drown them.

I hear ya, no sense in running people off.

You'll have to excuse some of the guys here, they saw that cow with it's head stuck under the fence, thought no one was looking, and couldn't help themselves!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I stayed outta that one...but for a reason - I smelled a HUGE troll. With a "macho" tag like his, the very nature of his question (and the vagueness thereof) told me he was WANTING to stir stuff up - and when he did, he didn't like what he read. It's like some of the threads that get tossed out here from time to time, where the OP says "discuss". Screw that - I'm not someone's lab rat. Don't toss stuff into the middle of the room just for the sake of "discussion"....

I just thought he liked Hornady stuff. . . . though that doesn't seem to be the case.

PS- congrats on joining the over 1000 club (don't tell anyone about the secret designer jackets.............doh:banghead:)

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    A suggestion maybe:

Newer members, say under 25 posts, have to have new threads approved by moderators before they are posted? Save everybody some face.

From a moderator's perspective, that's just not practical. A better route might be verifying that the new member has, in fact, read the forum rules. That might help some.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think it is funny when someone decides to chastise someone who he feels should not have chastised someone.

Makes me think of that pot/kettle story.

Ahh, good times....

In this case he's right. Jumping on people for asking "stupid questions" drives new members away from a website and new people away from gun ownership in general.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    From my experience with newbies and the gun world, and dealing with alot of people that just come in with absolutely no experience what-so-ever I can infer this:

1.) He might have been completely new.
    2.) It's hard to have specificity when you know nothing about the topic at hand.
    3.) Many people think the caliber question is valid, and don't understand the can of worms it brings.
    4.) I need to do more to provide basic info for people so that we can refer them to it rather than slamming the door.

It's often easy for any of us to take things for granted. Guns are one of those things that people often get into with absolutely no understanding, and with a mind full of Hollywood imagery and "my friend told me ...".

I'm going to create a few more newbie's guides and expand the ones we have already. That way when those threads pop up we can refer them to the info and take care of the situation on both ends.

Thanks for making the thread Randm, it's kinda confirmed what I had suspected. I don't want to coddle retards, but at the same time, I don't want to push away people that have valid questions either.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    From my experience with newbies and the gun world, and dealing with alot of people that just come in with absolutely no experience what-so-ever I can infer this:

1.) He might have been completely new.
    2.) It's hard to have specificity when you know nothing about the topic at hand.
    3.) Many people think the caliber question is valid, and don't understand the can of worms it brings.
    4.) I need to do more to provide basic info for people so that we can refer them to it rather than slamming the door.

It's often easy for any of us to take things for granted. Guns are one of those things that people often get into with absolutely no understanding, and with a mind full of Hollywood imagery and "my friend told me ...".

I'm going to create a few more newbie's guides and expand the ones we have already. That way when those threads pop up we can refer them to the info and take care of the situation on both ends.

Thanks for making the thread Randm, it's kinda confirmed what I had suspected. I don't want to coddle retards, but at the same time, I don't want to push away people that have valid questions either.

Your welcome. I, like you, just want this site to have a good rep and prosper. I think this is a great site you have here.

Now, if I could find a HK91 and a HK93 for a fair price here in Texas ! Sheesh, some people think they are made of gold. That is for another thread (rant).

Top Bottom