Subway won't take a $50

TX69

TGT Addict
Dec 23, 2012
DFW
I think there was a thread bout this some time ago but I couldn't find it.

We're talking about dinner and decide on some Subway so I head out to the store. I get three sandwiches made, grab some chips and cookies and start to pay. I hand the clerk some cash and she starts looking at me strange. She looks a the bill, me, the bill and then finally calls a dude out to talk.

Apparently, paying with cash, a green American $50 dollar bill is not allowed at Subway. The dude points and says (somewhat condescendingly) "the sign says NO $50's, only $20's.

I almost walked but used a card instead.

wtf ...

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
I understand it ... to a point. IF someone were to pass off a counterfeit bill to them, they'd be out more money from a $50 or $100 than from a $20. Also, from my years in retail, there are people out there that will buy $5 worth of stuff and pay with $100. That wipes out any change you've got, especially either after first opening the register or after dropping excess into the safe.

scap99

TGT Addict
Nov 10, 2010
Cypress
I can understand that they don't want to keep a butt load of cash in the till to make change for the guy that spends $3 to break a fake $100...
But, it shouldn't be a hard fast rule, either. Obviously, you spent ~$20, so what's the hurt in breaking it at that point.
I've been known to pull the, "I don't have a credit card on me" bit. It's worked. :banana:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
I can understand that they don't want to keep a butt load of cash in the till to make change for the guy that spends $3 to break a fake $100...
But, it shouldn't be a hard fast rule, either. Obviously, you spent ~$20, so what's the hurt in breaking it at that point.
I've been known to pull the, "I don't have a credit card on me" bit. It's worked. :banana:

That part exactly. Though I'm sure that IF you had half a brain and did it, then you'd get chewed out for doing it. Yet another "perk" of the business ...

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
Thank the counterfeit dudes. I see it a lot at the little strip mall shops here in S.FL too.

If a business must lose real money to a big (counterfeit) bill, they will lose small...ie the change for a $20 vs change for a $50 on a $12 purchase.

These days seems like ATMs are getting better at dispensing smaller denominations. And businesses are demanding smaller bills (just to have change in their drawers). Working concession stands and front cash registers at Pizza Hut sort drove home the point for me. As a customer I get it can be a PITA when the ATM or bank gave you 50s. As an employee, I get it can be a risk.

Be the bigger guy, remember they take $20s or less. Everybody is trying to keep their heads above water. Everybody is fighting an uphill battle. No one is intentionally targeting you. Just so happen that's the rule they have to implement for the lowest common denominator (those losers that scam and steal from the hardworking rest of us).

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
You guys/gals much be rich! I don't frequent the local subway here 'cause it's ............ very bad, but elsewhere I usually have to use coins to come up with enough! We're poor boys out here in the sticks!

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
You guys/gals much be rich! I don't frequent the local subway here 'cause it's ............ very bad, but elsewhere I usually have to use coins to come up with enough! We're poor boys out here in the sticks!
lol Nah not rich, just scoop up my change in the truck.

I ate Subway religiously all trough MS and High School. We got our food before we took off for games. Then as adults, "we" got tired of eating Subway when we were stationed in Japan (only several options at the AAFES food court). But I'm one of those nostalgic people, I still sneak off to Subway even though my old man doesn't like to go there :o

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
I never really cared for it. It's all bread and not much else. It got better once then started toasting the bread, but that doesn't make up for the fact that it's only bread.

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
I ate at Subway often before I moved close to Kerrpatch but this one here is hideous!
Lol

You find another shop to fill the sandwich 'niche? We've taken to 'Wich Wich. And also hit up the local pizza shops to try out their subs. Some of their stuff is not bad.

Top Bottom