• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I think there was a thread bout this some time ago but I couldn't find it.

We're talking about dinner and decide on some Subway so I head out to the store. I get three sandwiches made, grab some chips and cookies and start to pay. I hand the clerk some cash and she starts looking at me strange. She looks a the bill, me, the bill and then finally calls a dude out to talk.

Apparently, paying with cash, a green American $50 dollar bill is not allowed at Subway. The dude points and says (somewhat condescendingly) "the sign says NO $50's, only $20's.

I almost walked but used a card instead.

wtf ...

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I understand it ... to a point. IF someone were to pass off a counterfeit bill to them, they'd be out more money from a $50 or $100 than from a $20. Also, from my years in retail, there are people out there that will buy $5 worth of stuff and pay with $100. That wipes out any change you've got, especially either after first opening the register or after dropping excess into the safe.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I can understand that they don't want to keep a butt load of cash in the till to make change for the guy that spends $3 to break a fake $100...
    But, it shouldn't be a hard fast rule, either. Obviously, you spent ~$20, so what's the hurt in breaking it at that point.
    I've been known to pull the, "I don't have a credit card on me" bit. It's worked. :banana:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I can understand that they don't want to keep a butt load of cash in the till to make change for the guy that spends $3 to break a fake $100...
    But, it shouldn't be a hard fast rule, either. Obviously, you spent ~$20, so what's the hurt in breaking it at that point.
    I've been known to pull the, "I don't have a credit card on me" bit. It's worked. :banana:

That part exactly. Though I'm sure that IF you had half a brain and did it, then you'd get chewed out for doing it. Yet another "perk" of the business ...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thank the counterfeit dudes. I see it a lot at the little strip mall shops here in S.FL too.

If a business must lose real money to a big (counterfeit) bill, they will lose small...ie the change for a $20 vs change for a $50 on a $12 purchase.

These days seems like ATMs are getting better at dispensing smaller denominations. And businesses are demanding smaller bills (just to have change in their drawers). Working concession stands and front cash registers at Pizza Hut sort drove home the point for me. As a customer I get it can be a PITA when the ATM or bank gave you 50s. As an employee, I get it can be a risk.

Be the bigger guy, remember they take $20s or less. Everybody is trying to keep their heads above water. Everybody is fighting an uphill battle. No one is intentionally targeting you. Just so happen that's the rule they have to implement for the lowest common denominator (those losers that scam and steal from the hardworking rest of us).

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You guys/gals much be rich! I don't frequent the local subway here 'cause it's ............ very bad, but elsewhere I usually have to use coins to come up with enough! We're poor boys out here in the sticks!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You guys/gals much be rich! I don't frequent the local subway here 'cause it's ............ very bad, but elsewhere I usually have to use coins to come up with enough! We're poor boys out here in the sticks!

lol Nah not rich, just scoop up my change in the truck.

I ate Subway religiously all trough MS and High School. We got our food before we took off for games. Then as adults, "we" got tired of eating Subway when we were stationed in Japan (only several options at the AAFES food court). But I'm one of those nostalgic people, I still sneak off to Subway even though my old man doesn't like to go there :o

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I never really cared for it. It's all bread and not much else. It got better once then started toasting the bread, but that doesn't make up for the fact that it's only bread.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I ate at Subway often before I moved close to Kerrpatch but this one here is hideous!

Lol

You find another shop to fill the sandwich 'niche? We've taken to 'Wich Wich. And also hit up the local pizza shops to try out their subs. Some of their stuff is not bad.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    They say it's a counterfeit thing, but that's crap.

Here is the deal, they want to minimize the money in the til and at the store. If 10 morons walk in buy a 7 dollar sandwich and each pay with a 100 dollar bill.

You're going to need 40 - 20's, 4 - 10's and 30 ones in the til.

That's 870 bucks.

A subway will make more than 10 sandwiches a day. More like 450.

That means if they accepted 50-100's then they'd need to have a lot or cash on hand.

Low ticket average/ high cash sites/low wage/ thousands of franchises/ places like a subway doesn't want to have a lot of cash not in a safe or the bank. It's a high risk proposition.
    So they put the onus on you and blame it on counterfeiters and sell their daum lettuce sandwiches.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    So at the end of the day it is still cash in register.

On a small scale, see the local dude having a garage sale on Saturday morning.

Everybody bitches until they're the seller trying to keep small cash in the register.

Edit:
    Yea if I walked up with a $50 and they didn't take it, so what. Buy enough sammiches it didn't matter.

At the end of the day, every person in the world has something to gripe about. Are folks so danged weak that at they can't be generous enough to be part if the solution instead of being part of the heartburn? Stuff burns my ass each and everyday. But every morning I have the opportunity to take it for all it's worth or be a sour puss about every stupid little thing. It is completely easier to be a grouchy sour puss, no doubt about it. But what a lousy existence.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Thank the counterfeit dudes. I see it a lot at the little strip mall shops here in S.FL too.

If a business must lose real money to a big (counterfeit) bill, they will lose small...ie the change for a $20 vs change for a $50 on a $12 purchase.

These days seems like ATMs are getting better at dispensing smaller denominations. And businesses are demanding smaller bills (just to have change in their drawers). Working concession stands and front cash registers at Pizza Hut sort drove home the point for me. As a customer I get it can be a PITA when the ATM or bank gave you 50s. As an employee, I get it can be a risk.

Be the bigger guy, remember they take $20s or less. Everybody is trying to keep their heads above water. Everybody is fighting an uphill battle. No one is intentionally targeting you. Just so happen that's the rule they have to implement for the lowest common denominator (those losers that scam and steal from the hardworking rest of us).

The bill for what I had ordered was $44 dollars but they still refused to take the $50. Had I not gotten the smirkish grin from the clerk dude I wouldn't have really cared. I get the part about not having enough change and other people cleaning them out of $1 bills but that's business. I've worked retail, I get it.

For this store I might just help them out and bring quarters in to pay with to make absolutely sure they get through their rigorous day supplied with change. :)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The bill for what I had ordered was $44 dollars but they still refused to take the $50. Had I not gotten the smirkish grin from the clerk dude I wouldn't have really cared. I get the part about not having enough change and other people cleaning them out of $1 bills but that's business. I've worked retail, I get it.

For this store I might just help them out and bring quarters in to pay with to make absolutely sure they get through their rigorous day supplied with change. :)

Ok, THAT is BS!

$6. Really dudes. Use your brain.

I would totally support you bringing in coin rolls the next time your order lunch for the bunch. I'd go with you to 'help you carry it' just so I can watch you pay with hardware. :shades:

Edit: what can I say, I'm diplomatic and kumbaya to a certain point...(common sense). Hit that line and all bets are off.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Ok, THAT is BS!

$6. Really dudes. Use your brain.

I would totally support you bringing in coin rolls the next time your order lunch for the bunch. I'd go with you to 'help you carry it' just so I can watch you pay with hardware. :shades:

Edit: what can I say, I'm diplomatic and kumbaya to a certain point...(common sense). Hit that line and all bets are off.

Like I said above, had they done that though, I have no doubt they'd be reprimanded in some form for doing so. They don't want thinkers. All they want is someone to follow orders.

sent from deep space

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Ok, THAT is BS!

snipity

what can I say, I'm diplomatic and kumbaya to a certain point...(common sense). Hit that line and all bets are off.

Ya know, that don't HAVE to accept the quarters ...................... :p

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX

six bucks in change, and they still balked. yep you tripped the asshole switch. all I got is the $50, guess I'll go somewhere else.

Top Bottom