• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowzette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Pflugerville, Tx
    I'm thinking of getting into reloading. Did a little a long time ago with a single press that I no longer have. Is there a quality shop in the Austin area where I can get good advice as to presses for my purpose and other equipment especially power measure and scale? I don't know I can get quality advice or attention for that matter at Cabels. I don't mind paying a bit more to support a local shop if I can get good CS.
    Guns International

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Most shops will try to sell you things you may or may not need. Do the research, check with the hand loaders here on the forum. If you're reloading for accuracy, I suggest buying a single stage press, etc., if you're reloading to dump many rounds down range, a progressive might be what you need. This is just my opinion but I've only been hand loading for 20 years. There are lots of options out there. If you know an experienced hand loader close, his or her advice would be invaluable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The basic kits are a good starting point. The press is the main tool. I personally use hornady. I've used RCBS and LEE.

You can expect to accumulate about $1000 to $1500 in the complete set up. The smaller tools add up. Things like a primer pocket crimp remover. OAL gauges and separate dies.

Nobody can really tell you what you'll use outside the basic step up. It's a personal choice to the quality of the reload.

You can use scales calibrated for grams instead of grains. It's that stay gotta stay on top of the weight conversion. A grain scale will cost three times more then a gram scale. My recorded work up loads are all in grams. Not grains.

On the progressive presses. Understand that you'll only use three stations after the cases are prepped. Prime, powder drop and crimp. The sizing and pocket crimp cut is a separate operation. With a progressive, you run all the cases through the resize first. Trim, clean, and gauged. Once the cases are prepped. Then you can run them through the press for the reload.

In other words. For the best precision. The only stations used in sequence are primer, powder drop, bullet seat and crimp. Case prep is a whole other set of operations. Some folks use a single stage for the case prep. The progressive for the actual reloaded finished round.

Case prep can get personal. The small tools will come one by one as your experience grows. Some of the stuff can run $20-$30 bucks per tool. Like a primer crimp/flash hole reamer.

You can't go wrong buying a basic progressive reloading kit. Don't worry about the extra tools. You'll be buying one every week until you have your personal set up complete.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    40year reloader here.
    It just depends on how much volume you're wanting to produce.
    A couple of hundred rifle rounds a year or eleventybazillion pistol rounds will determine which direction you should go.
    You can make usable rounds with a few handtools but its laborious and takes a lot of time.
    A super nice Dillon will let you make a couple of hundred rounds an hour.
    IMO buy new equipment.
    Buying used can be a problem until you gain enough experience to know what the equipment is supposed to do. Worn out dies and tools can be next to useless and cause you chambering issues. This is why you shouldn't buy old reloading stuff from gun shows and garage sales unless you know what you're doing.
    80% of the work in reloading is brass prep. Motorize everywhere you can. In the long run you'll go there anyway so just buy the good stuff up front.
    Any of the major brands are good stuff. Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, RCBS, Redding, etc. are good to go.
    It's a redhead vs. blonde vs. brunette kinda thing. LoL

Back when I started we only had books. These days there are a gazillion videos out there to watch and learn from. Mucho easier.

I feel it is my duty to warn you. Reloading will cause you to become a pack rat.
    You will need room to grow.
    A small work area may be good now but you WILL acquire 87 tons of brass, tools, components, and junk. Be warned.
    You will know when you've reached Jedi Master level reloader when you find yourself digging in trash barrels for French 8mmx52R brass. Not because you have a gun for it but because you just might need it "one day".

Welcome to your DOOM! Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Academy and Cabelas both carry reloading equipment.
    As mentioned get a manual and read it - I know you said you used to do it but a refresher won't hurt.
    McBrides has most stuff and you can eyeball it and buy off Amazon or many other online stores.
    Unless you know you're going high volume I would not consider Dillon - very pricey stuff and you'll find out quickly that you need to accessorize to get the best out of it = more $$$.
    You'll do just fine with a Lee C or U single station press or even their 4 station turret.
    You can get a cheap digital scale from Amazon or McBrides that measures in grains - I've used mine for years and it has proven accurate and repeatable.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ar...OHNA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512313480&sr=8-3

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm thinking of getting into reloading. Did a little a long time ago with a single press that I no longer have. Is there a quality shop in the Austin area where I can get good advice as to presses for my purpose and other equipment especially power measure and scale? I don't know I can get quality advice or attention for that matter at Cabels. I don't mind paying a bit more to support a local shop if I can get good CS.

I admire the idea of local. I spent decades supporting local shops. Then, one changed hands and the new owner acts like my presence is a burden. The other went internet, moved to a warehouse and quit carrying reloading supplies.

Midway, Cabelas, Brownells,....
    Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

JWBost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2017
    Austin
    There are no good deals for reloading supplies or equipment in the Austin area. Not for equipment or components.

McBrides is quite high. Cableas and Bass Pro are high, although Cabelas has pretty decent sales every now and then. I bought my tumbler, scale, and 50,000 Berrys bullets from them when they were on at $63/1000 9mm after tax.

Gander Mountain in RR...I’m glad those guys went out of business.

Last I saw at Academy, they have 100 primers for $3.99 plus tax. I’ve never seen presses at Academy.

On top of the high prices, there’s also the sales tax, which you don’t have to pay if you order from an out of state vendor (and best if they offer free shipping).

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Start by telling us what you are going to reload and the amount you are thinking about loading. That will determine my suggestions. Pistol or rifle is the biggest difference.

irish66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    New braunfels, tx
    The dillon is ok for pistol works great for 38,45,44. Do not like it for rifle.
    Use 5 different single stage, for different calibers.
    Most i have found at local gun range. Or midway. Even champions choice.
    Electronic scale is a must for accurate rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      681 KB · Views: 226

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    Buy a Dillon
    Buy once cry once
    Not sure how you can make that blanket statement without knowing his exact loading requirements. What if he only loads rifle calibers in small quantities? What if he loads multiple rifle calibers in small quantities? Would a Dillon progressive be the best choice? I doubt it, a turret press would work better. If he’s loading volumes of the same caliber I would agree on Dillon but there are other good options.
    For the OP, reading up online will be much better than relying on the guys at the store. You may run across someone with experience but you may not. You could also join cast boolits forum to look for some good used loading equipment.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Visit some reloaders and use their equipment before you decide. You are welcome to stop by my shop and play with what I have and compare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom