• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Yeah, .45-70 --> .30-40 --> .30-03 --> .30-06 --> 7.62x51 --> 5.56x45

Yup, that's just about right for main battle rifles... I think Calvary units used different calibers at different times... like the Indian Wars and whatnot... but I'll stop hijacking this thread right now.
    Military Camp

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    I would have said 30-06 for sure. Given the existence of 180 grain triple shocks you'd have it all covered.

But since you feel more is needed then by all means the .338 Win Mag. This is the reason the round was developed in the first place.

Load it with 225 grain triple shocks for everything you need doing above whitetail.

Load it with 200 grain Hornady interlocts at 2700 fps for whitetail and such.

You do reload don't you?

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Yikes, wanting sufficient energy at 600yds to knock down something the size of a moose or big ole bear is not going to be mild mannered to say the least. My first choice would be 338LM, mainly just because I have always wanted to get back behind one after geting a try at a TRG-42. Sadly, your weapon choices will be limited to tactical rifles for the most part, so youre looking at humping around a good deal of weight.

I would venture that the most practical caliber would be the 338 Win Mag.

If you want to go a bit more extreme you can try the 408 Cheye Tac, or since your wife wont let you go 50BMG try the 416 Barrett.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yeah, I think you should go with the .30-378. It could probably do in a whitetail.

I am not so sure that I agree here. You say that you have owned a .30-.30 for years, so my assumption is that you are not that experienced with different calibers and different rifles. Someone that goes from a 30-30 to a 30-378 is going to be in for a rude awakening, maybe not. I would rather someone work up to one. If I was selling you the next logical step, I would suggest a 7mm Remington mag. The recoil is not that bad, you can buy 1000 different factory loads, and its offered in every rifle imaginable. If you should happen to run off and forget your shells, try going to Wal Mart in BFE and expect to find 30-378. Hey, it happens!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    you're , the .30-.06 or .308 can and will kill anything on the North American continent out to 500 yards. Sure you you could Carry an extra 5 pounds of magnum riffle. But why. I don't think you could classify a .338 as an "all around" hunting caliber. Unless of course you don't plan on eating any of the white tail you explode with it. A 300 win mag or a 7mm rem mag would be about as big as you need. Shot placement is key W.D.M "Karamojo" Bell used a .257 as his elephant riffle by placing his shots where he wanted them. what you are talking about does not require a 338 or a 416 just learn to shoot 30-06 or a 300 win mag at those ranges and you'll be okay without a huge gun that will be hell to carry all day in hunting conditions.

CharlieBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    From Whitetail to Moose, huhhh

300 Wby Mag. 130 to 220 grain options and its a good flat shooting round that will reach out to 500. I've a 300 wby Accumark and I love it. It shoots excellent. I wouldn't think twice taking it out for Bear, Elk, Whitetail, and Moose.

However, for Moose. I'd be tempted to gun up for that trip, 375 H & H. Don't get me wrong, I've a lot of confidence in the 300 Wby Mag. I know it would take out a Moose. I am just looking for a good excuse for a new gun, don't ya know.

I've a hunting buddy in Minnesota that uses his 338 Win Mag for everything. Even on his annual Moose trip and past elk and caribou hunts. The Whitetails are big bodied animals in Minnesota.

What did you buy? or are you still on the fence?

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Ok, since you are all afriad to jump right in then...

Having looked at a TC Icon in 308 and getting some feedback on the SST LT Mag 308 ammo, and checking out a Remington XCR Tactical Long Range but hearing that it does not have the accuracy the Icon does...

What's the views on the Icon? Anyone have one and shoot it and have problems? I like its feel, I can get it in 7mm and 300 mag, and two guys I chatted with love theirs (but I can't understand trading in a Weatherby Accumark in 300 WBY Mag for a Icon in 30TC).

Both these guys seem convinced that you can kill anything in NA with 308 or 30TC.:confused:
    I would go with either the 308 or 30.06, the 7mag will also do a good job with the right bullets. Some of the other rounds like the 30-378, the 338 Lapua and the 338 Rem ultra mag will do the job if you can stand the price of the ammo, they all have a great deal of recoil and take a lot of practice to master, the last price that i saw for a box of 20 30-378 ammo was about $130.

nolanwb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Rowlett, Texas
    The Venerable 30-06

It may not be new, belted or trendy, but a .30-06 is one of the best all around calibers for North America. 110-200+ gr bullets. You can do it all well w/o excessive recoil.

Having hunted in the "lower 48," and in Alaska, my vote would be for the good old 30-06. Choose the bullet weight, and load, according to the game being hunted. My favorite bullet is 165 grain....Nosler partition. The rifle that I chose for purely Alaska hunting was the .338 Winchester magnum. Worked great!

nolanwb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Rowlett, Texas
    "I would like the caliber to have knockdown at 500-600 yards." In my opinion, no rifle will do that reliably at that distance. A magnum is designed to do a better job at a "reasonable" shooting distance. I say nuts in Alaska trying to shoot, over other hunters in a shallow valley, at a caribou around 600-700 yards. We finally had to threaten the guy to get him to give it up. He told us that he had a Remington 7mm Magnum, and that it would shoot as far as he wanted. Not!

As for a good hunting rifle in the lower 48, nothing really is much better than the 30-06, and ammunition can be found in any backwoods shooting location. My favorite bullet was the 165 grain Nosler partition. For a more specialized rifle, which I used in Alaska, the .338 Winchester Magnum is great. I looked at them all, the Weatherby 300, the Winchester 300, the 375 H&H, and Remington 7mm, and went with the .338. Two tons of muzzle energy is sufficient... My scope of choice was a Leupold 4x with Duplex reticle. Heh, I wasn't planning to shoot at 500-600 yards.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom