• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brembo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have owned a 30-30 for years, but I am retiring this particular model.

What I am looking for in a rifle leads to a lot of un-needed commentary (usually), but I'll give it another shot here because I think more Texans will understand my goals.

I want a rifle, in a caliber, that is capable of taking game sized from White Tail up to and including Moose. I might have to shoot a hog with it, but typically it will be used for deer, elk and Bullwinkle's cousins. Generally anything in North America. No gophers.

However... I would like the caliber to have knockdown at 500-600 yards. Please do not suggest a 308, 30-06, or 270. I don't want to track the animal 2 miles, which is what I got using a Remington in 30-06 before. I want a solid hit with the highest probability of a sure kill. The problem is not accuracy so much as it is energy at maximum range.

I've considered a Weatherby Accumark in 30-378, and a Armalite AR30 in 300 win mag.

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thank you.

Brembo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ok, since you are all afriad to jump right in then...

Having looked at a TC Icon in 308 and getting some feedback on the SST LT Mag 308 ammo, and checking out a Remington XCR Tactical Long Range but hearing that it does not have the accuracy the Icon does...

What's the views on the Icon? Anyone have one and shoot it and have problems? I like its feel, I can get it in 7mm and 300 mag, and two guys I chatted with love theirs (but I can't understand trading in a Weatherby Accumark in 300 WBY Mag for a Icon in 30TC).

Both these guys seem convinced that you can kill anything in NA with 308 or 30TC.:confused:

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    It may not be new, belted or trendy, but a .30-06 is one of the best all around calibers for North America. 110-200+ gr bullets. You can do it all well w/o excessive recoil.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I would like the caliber to have knockdown at 500-600 yrds.
    There really isn't any cartridge that will do that at 500 yards, no matter how well you place your shot, on something the size of a moose. When I hunted in Montana, we always tried to get as close as we could before taking a shot. My longest shot (I paced it off) was on an antelope at just over 400 yards with a .243 Winchester. All the rest of the game I shot up there was between 75 and 150 yards.

For elk, I used a .280 Remington with 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets. I had the throat relieved slightly so I could seat the bullets out a tad and go over max on powder, giving me 7 mag. velocities with a lot less recoil. Most of the guys used either a .270, .30-06, 7 mag or the occasional .300 mag.

If you really want something in the magnum range, go with a 7mm Remington Magnum; at least ammo is easy to find just about anywhere and bullet weights allow you to go light for deer and heavier for elk, moose and bear.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Unless you have had some prety serious training and a lot of practice, hitting well enough for responsible hunting at 500 is iffy. It does not matter how good your gun/optics are, You really have to have your sh!t together to hunt at 500.

Some people would say you are a lazy hunter if you take shots at 500. Get closer and take a high percentage shot. 500 yards in the field is like a half court shot in basketball. Off a bench, it is like a 3 point shot. Doable.

If you are serious about 500-600, 338 Win mag or .338 Lapua.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Get closer to your quarry. 500-600 yards is over a quarter of a mile. the slightest shift in wind and regardless of caliber, what you are going to have is a gutshot animal you will be tracking forever. A30.06, .308,.338 are all big enough to take any game in North America at 300 yards all day long.

If you really want "knockdown" get a 45-70 and load it hot with 325-350 gr jacketed bullets, and get within 100-200 yards of your target.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    .338 Lapua Magnum - It is an incredibly accurate round at range, has good power, and is available in several solutions. It's roughly the same cost as commercially available .30-378 Weatherby.

I would suggest getting closer if you can, obviously.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    ah, yeah... .30-40! thanks, I usually get those two calibers confused, considering they're pretty much from the same era. .30-40 replaced the 45-70 right?

Top Bottom