Suggestions on another single stack pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbayless71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    San Antonio
    I'm mulling over my next pistol purchase.

I limit myself to all-metal pistols with single-stack magazines; just haven't found a high-capacity pistol I could shoot well. I've got a couple of 1911s, a P938, a Luger P-08, and a Sig P6. Anyone have a suggestion/advice on a classic single-stack in 9 mm or .45? Right now I am thinking about possibly a Beretta M1951 (if I can find one in nice condition), an Astra 600 9mm, or possibly an older Sig P220. A p210 would be awesome, but they are completely out of my price range.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    H&K P9S. They are uncommon, very well built, offer excellent performance, and IMO they look pretty cool and have some fairly innovative features for when they were originally built. You can also occasionally still find the base models for decent prices.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Makarov, kind of a 9mm

Yeah, I would vote for that also.

However you do seem to be collecting some influential pistols in the history of that genre. From a historical standpoint I would suggest you look at a P-38, war period if possible. (unless you already have one, might be what you referred to in your op as a P938)

Have you looked at these Zastava Yugo Tokarev M70A Semi Auto Pistol, 9mm??

You might also check out the Radom Vis, it came in 9mm and is single stack. (might be known as a P-35, or wz35)

To add to Sig_Fiends thought, the H&K squeeze cockers are pretty unique the PSP or P7

Forgot about this one Smith & Wesson Model 39

Last edited:

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Makarovs are cool but I have an idea where you are going.

I don't know if you can do much better than a P6 for a single stack 9mm, maybe a P7, but those are expensive. Maybe a nicer p225.
    A S&W 3913 is lighter and slimmer, easier for carry, and is easy to shoot.
    Kahr K9 has a smooth trigger, is built well, fun to shoot. It fits the hand like a glove, yet is small and flat enough to pocket carry.

.45s are a bit more tricky for non-1911s. I can vouch for the p220 and can venture to say that once you shoot one, you will be convinced.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Yeah, I would vote for that also.

However you do seem to be collecting some influential pistols in the history of that genre. From a historical standpoint I would suggest you look at a P-38, war period if possible. (unless you already have one, might be what you referred to in your op as a P938)

Have you looked at these Zastava Yugo Tokarev M70A Semi Auto Pistol, 9mm??

You might also check out the Radom Vis, it came in 9mm and is single stack. (might be known as a P-35, or wz35)

To add to Sig_Fiends thought, the H&K squeeze cockers are pretty unique the PSP or P7

Forgot about this one Smith & Wesson Model 39

The P938 is the Sig Sauer 9mm subcompact. "PSP" is just the German name for the P7 pistol that was in service with the W. German police. The ideal P7 pistols to buy are the P7M8 or P7M13 but be aware that you're looking at a $1300-$2000+ investment when purchasing one. Even my P7 German police trade in would cost you about $850-$900 right now.

Pawpaw40

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    S&W 3913, 3913NL, 3913 Ladysmith and the C9 are all concealable 9mms. The model 39 is a full size single stack. S&W made a bunch of single stack DA/SA, all metal semis back in the day. Most are out of current production but are easy to find. There's also the P-38, PPK, and the PPKS in Walthers. If cost is an issue, you can pick up a Radom P-64 (a near copy of the PPK in 9mm Makarov) for about $160. The double action trigger pull is atrocious, almost 30lbs, but the single action pull is light and crisp. Caution about the P-64, it does not have a firing pin-trigger interlock. If the safety is off, the gun will fire if dropped on the hammer, or the hammer is partially pulled back and released.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    have 2 Makarovs, an E. German & a Bulgarian, 8 rd mag capacity, 3.83" barrels, about 24 oz

downside, for me, are the sights (it's basically a "point & shoot" pistol) and I don't care for the grip butt mag release (just can't get used to it)

9x18 round is "good enough" and is available

Hard Chromed Bulgarian
    Bulgarian_zps53ddf449.jpg

Black Chromed E. German
    12_zps4ed94dc6.jpg

jbayless71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the suggestions!

There are a number of 9mm pistols there that I had not thought of at all. My P938 is the little modern Sig. I've wanted a German P-38, but a real WWII one is out of my budget at the moment, and the P-1 versions just don't do it. I only managed to buy my Luger by selling an AR15-A2 during the height of the craze a couple of years ago.

I'm probably looking at around $500-$550 for this purchase. I should have thought of the Smith pistols -- had a Smith 1006 at one point that I've always regretted trading. And I had completely forgotten about the P9S -- that is an awesome looking little pistol.

I've owned a few Makarovs and other 9X18 pistols before like the CZ 82 -- just never could get into them. I'm also trying to stick to 9mm and .45 to keep my reloading as simple as possible. Throwing 9X18 brass into the mix would probably drive me crazy. :)

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo

Forum statistics