• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DallasCop2566

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Dallas
    Back in ancient history when duty weapons were restricted to mostly revolvers, I carried a Smith and Wesson Model 686 (stainless finish, 4 inch barrel, .357 magnum caliber).

I retired and a friend that is an officer in a suburban police department and is assigned to motorcycle traffic enforcement borrowed it and carried it while his normal duty weapon was being repaired.

Apparently he used an old worn out holster and the strap snap on the inside next to the weapon was completely exposed and scratched the right side of the weapon,
    mostly on the side plate,cylinder and somewhat along the right side of the barrel. I guess with all the vibration and bouncing, it really caused a lot of scratches.

I was wondering if it was possible to nickle plate a stainless weapon, anybody had experience with this procedure? I had a suggestion to take it to a metal polishing establishment, but all I found don't do small jobs or weapons.

Any suggestions, recommendations greatly appreciated.

Another chapter in the life of Poor Old Roy-----------:1zhelp:
    Military Camp

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have used very fine steel wool and "break free" to polish out light scratches from stainess steel on a few guns with good results.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Smith and Wesson will if you want to send it back to them
    Smith and Wesson would probably be your best bet. I know some one who sand blasted a slide on a S&W 1911 and I know the guy he sold it to. The guy he sold it to called S&W the next day and they told him to "send it in" and if there was any way to do it for free they would. He did and they made it look brand new and didn't charge him a dime. I don't know shipping arrangements but I'll call him tonight and ask. I'll post what I find out.

Green Hornet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Texas
    [url]http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=33310&sectionId=10002[/URL]

Plating and Finishing
    In addition to our world-class metal plating capabilities, we offer a variety of metal finishing processes ranging from polishing, buffing, and sandblasting to isotropic vibratory finishing of a variety of base metals. Parts up to 60 inches in length can be processed.

Capabilities: Black Oxide to Mil-C-13924C, AMS 2485F, Passivate for Stainless Steels to Mil-P-35, QQ-P-35C, Electrolytic Nickel Plating to QQ-M-290A, Electroless Nickel Plating to Mil-C-26074, AMS 2404C, Anodizing of Aluminum to Mil-A-8625, AMS 2471C in Black, Clear, Red, Blue and gold, Chemical Brightening, Chromate Conversion Coatings to Mil-C-5541E, Mil-C-E1706, Stripping and Ultrasonic Cleaning.

Brochure:
    [url]http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/SW_SS_Brochure.pdf[/URL]

Top Bottom