• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Maybe I've just watched too many zombie themed shows in the last year or maybe I really do need a crossbow. I already have a decent collection of guns but with recent shortages of ammo, I've started to consider the idea of a crossbow for range fun and possibly a hog or deer hunt. In my teenage years, I owned a couple of compound bows and really enjoyed time at an indoor range. IIRC, you couldn't legally hunt deer with a crossbow unless you had an upper body impairment back then. From what I have read on TXPWD's website, anyone can during the general open season now.
    I could probably be talked into buying another compound bow but I think I would appreciate the power and gun-like feel of a crossbow. I'm looking to stay in the $500 range for the bow itself. I am also hoping to find one that stays at or above 300 fps. Anyhow, it would be great to hear from any experienced bow hunters out there as well as any crossbow fans. Please talk me into one !
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've been looking at them myself. Just something really cool about them.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I am also hoping to find one that stays at or above 300 fps.

OldFart81 had (and still does) a crossbow for sale here and I seem to remember it was rated @ 350fps. If IRCC, my research found no less than 400fps should be considered for deer hunting.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    350fps will work. A frontal shot on large boars my bounce though. Front gets tough when they get too big.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    OldFart81 had (and still does) a crossbow for sale here and I seem to remember it was rated @ 350fps. If IRCC, my research found no less than 400fps should be considered for deer hunting.
    350fps will work. A frontal shot on large boars my bounce though. Front gets tough when they get too big.
    Good to know. I would hate to "let one get away" so to speak.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Maybe I've just watched too many zombie themed shows in the last year or maybe I really do need a crossbow. I already have a decent collection of guns but with recent shortages of ammo, I've started to consider the idea of a crossbow for range fun and possibly a hog or deer hunt. In my teenage years, I owned a couple of compound bows and really enjoyed time at an indoor range. IIRC, you couldn't legally hunt deer with a crossbow unless you had an upper body impairment back then. From what I have read on TXPWD's website, anyone can during the general open season now.
    I could probably be talked into buying another compound bow but I think I would appreciate the power and gun-like feel of a crossbow. I'm looking to stay in the $500 range for the bow itself. I am also hoping to find one that stays at or above 300 fps. Anyhow, it would be great to hear from any experienced bow hunters out there as well as any crossbow fans. Please talk me into one !

Spent a few years working with/selling archery equipment and I always hated working with crossbows! They are dangerous (lots of ways to lose a finger,eye or your head without even really "mishandling" them). They have a ton of power but they're aren't very smooth and IMO aren't that fun to shoot!

Obviously they have their place and there are plenty who love them but I have just had one too many a negative experience with them to ever be interested in one!

sent from wait....where am I!?

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I think they can be fun to fart around with. My stepdad broke his finger with one while pulling it back. It released "prematurely" and now it's just a funny story. They are fun if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    If IRCC, my research found no less than 400fps should be considered for deer hunting.

I might be wrong, but I don't know if that's true. When I was learning to shoot a bow, I never got past 235 fps on an old Bear compound bow. The friend that was teaching me to shoot, told me that was more than enough. His bow was shooting at 270 fps and he was killing some nice deer on his lease near Fredericksburg, Tx.

JSF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Lufkin
    You dont need even 300 fps.....an IBO speed rating on a bow is made shooting an extremely light arrow or bolt with no regards to accuracy or penetration.....they just wanna gets the highest chrono number they can......when you add a heavier hunting arrow with a broadhead into the mix you wont be even close to the IBO rating on speed.....many traditional bows (recurves & long bows) shoot closer to 200 fps but a trad arrow is generally heavier than one from a compound.....there used to be a 45 lb minimum on bows here in Texas but that has been removed due to the knowledge now that arrow weight, broadhead design, and shooter accuracy are much more important.....my wife shot a pig her first year bowhunting with her Diamond Razors Edge drawing only 35 lbs and the arrow when completely through till it stopped in the offside rib after breaking it......pig went 100 yards.......speed doesnt kill....accuracy, proper arrow weight, and a razor sharp broadhead is all thats needed.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm on my third crossbow over the years. I got a Horton Brotherhood on this last one. It is super accurate and the first one that I've had with an optical sight.

My brotherhood crossbow is the first of the three bows that had a handle located below the rail body. That's important as the bowstring WILL amputate a finger that wanders into the wrong place. Your fingers can't get chopped off if they are holding a handle located BELOW where the action is happening. Get one with a handle for your forward hand...........THAT is my #1 recommendation.

#2 Recommendation is that you always use a cocking rope/pulley set up. Using your bare hand to cock the bow, and you foul up, the least it will do is dislocate your fingers.

#3 Never DECOCK a crossbow. If you're hunting, bring a crossbow target block and fire the bolt into it. That sucker WILL hurt you!

I shot compound bows until arthritis tore up my elbows. If you follow the guidelines above, crossbows are great fun!

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a crossbow years ago and "meh". It was a good Horton if memory serves. I figured a crossbow would make the transition from rifle to bow easier but the crossbow just never spoke to me.

I believe if I had gotten a good compound bow to start with I would have stuck with it.

Just my opinion though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I'd always wanted a crossbow since I was kid so when I got a little older I bought a nice one. It was cool for about a week and then I grew weary of it. It's basically just a rifle that shoots arrows. I found it to be completely unsatisfying. I would take a real bow any day because you actually feel a sense of accomplishment for making a great shot. It now collects dust in my closet. It's a Horton something or other.. recurve, 175 lb draw weight, with a red dot scope - all black. Mint condition. I have a ton of bolts, spare strings, broadheads, accessories... etc.. for it - PM me if your interested and I'll cut you a deal.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom