• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    I have decided on the AAC 7.62-SDN-6 for my LR308 & will also use it on my Colt LE 5.56. My question is, they offer the 51T in either a muzzle brake or flash hider. If I select the muzzle brake, will I get added reduction in felt recoil ? Also, will it have an adverse effect on cycling ? Are there other considerations that I should think about......?

KK
    Lynx Defense

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Suppressors give more gas blowback.

A Muzzle Break under a Suppressor will not help reduce recoil any more then just the suppressor. :3

Correct. The choice between brake and flash hider is for what you want when NOT running the suppressor.

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Correct. The choice between brake and flash hider is for what you want when NOT running the suppressor.

Ahhh....this is the question I should have asked. So I should get better performance with the MB vs. FH unsupressed......performance being better able to return to target with successive shots ?

KK

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Get the brake.

The reason being it will put less wear on the first baffle inside the suppressor tube.

All that gas, unburnt powder, carbon crud will eventually erode the baffle. The chambers on the muzzle brake act like an extra sacrificial baffle to absorb the wear and tear. There's pics on ar15.com showing how much abuse that muzzle brake takes after just a few thousand rounds, pretty much a cone shaped gouge in the first chamber, better to let the $140 brake take it than the $1000 suppressor. When I get mine out of jail it'll be going on a 10.5" barrel so it was a no brainer, muzzle brake for sure.

I've also heard the pronged flash hiders make a pinging noise when fired too, maybe Scott would know if this is true or not?

P9121775.jpg

1078089580_Zbkgz-M.jpg

Last edited:

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Many thanks "grumper"........that's info that I had not even considered.......and pictures are always a plus. Being a "newbie" to the suppressor club, there will be much more for me to learn. I look forward to the "education" I'll be able to get here from all the experienced members.
    KK

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Get the brake.

The reason being it will put less wear on the first baffle inside the suppressor tube.

All that gas, unburnt powder, carbon crud will eventually erode the baffle. The chambers on the muzzle brake act like an extra sacrificial baffle to absorb the wear and tear. There's pics on ar15.com showing how much abuse that muzzle brake takes after just a few thousand rounds, pretty much a cone shaped gouge in the first chamber, better to let the $140 brake take it than the $1000 suppressor. When I get mine out of jail it'll be going on a 10.5" barrel so it was a no brainer, muzzle brake for sure.

I've also heard the pronged flash hiders make a pinging noise when fired too, maybe Scott would know if this is true or not?

I can confirm that my 51T blackout flash hider on my 10.5" .300 BLK pings like a tuning fork.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I was going to get the breakout as a happy median, but after paying and waiting for the can, I decided to get the muzzle brake for added protection.
    I've heard the brake out also pings a little despite the shorter forks

Top Bottom