• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    State law currently makes possession of a suppressor illegal unless you have an NFA license. The new law will dispense with that and as long as the suppressor is "Made in Texas" according to the rules of the law, state and local law enforcement should leave you alone. However, the feds could still arrest and prosecute you if you don't have the NFA tax stamp/license and you actually build/buy the suppressor.

There is no NFA license. You pay a tax for the privilege of owning one. Its a tax stamp. If a law enforcement officer wants to see you tax stamp, politely tell him no, it a tax document unless he's a Treasury agent.
    Gun Zone Deals

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    There is no NFA license. You pay a tax for the privilege of owning one. Its a tax stamp. If a law enforcement officer wants to see you tax stamp, politely tell him no, it a tax document unless he's a Treasury agent.

Follow that advice and there is a good chance you will get locked up and your gun seized.

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    I've already done it with a Sheriff's deputy at a public gun range. The range officer looks at the deputy (not in uniform) and told him I was right. It is not against the law to use an NFA weapon for legal purposes.
    Now, it he would have been an ATF agent, and identified himself as such, it would have been different, I would have complied. But not for Barney Fife.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I've already done it with a Sheriff's deputy at a public gun range. The range officer looks at the deputy (not in uniform) and told him I was right. It is not against the law to use an NFA weapon for legal purposes.
    Now, it he would have been an ATF agent, and identified himself as such, it would have been different, I would have complied. But not for Barney Fife.

Cool story bro, but fact is it is illegal till Sept 1 for silencers, and all other NFA remains illegal after that.

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    I have a legal suppressor with a tax stamp, so that's not an issue, I chose to stand my ground and my rights, that's all.
    I got my suppressor before the current 41f procedures went into effect, using a trust. This way I can pass it along without a hassle.
    I most probably will not have a suppressor without following the ATF regulations and pay the tax fee.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have a legal suppressor with a tax stamp, so that's not an issue, I chose to stand my ground and my rights, that's all.
    I got my suppressor before the current 41f procedures went into effect, using a trust. This way I can pass it along without a hassle.

That is all well and nice, but Texas law is pretty clear on this.

Texaswolf 82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Austin, Texas
    So today's bad dealer announcement - I think that is how they will fight the Texas Suppressor law - Ok TX cans are outside NFA. But if you are an FFL - and you sell them. Your lic is pulled forever.

Reactions: gll

ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    No they dont. There are significant differences and ours has a lot more protection. But neither has protection against stupid.

Do you believe the feds won't arrest people in Texas who possess a surpressor without a federal tax stamp?

Wanna bet?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Do you believe the feds won't arrest people in Texas who possess a surpressor without a federal tax stamp?

Wanna bet?
    What part of “But neither has protection against stupid.” Confused you?

have you not read any other posts on this subject by me in this thread or forum on this subject?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Follow that advice and there is a good chance you will get locked up and your gun seized.

Not actually. Local, County, and most State LEO's have no business or right to ask you to see your Federal Tax Stamps.
    I've been asked a few times at the local ranges by non - Federal LEO's, and refused (politely) to show them my stamps each time. I ask them to contact their superior's to learn the law. A couple of the ranges I go to are also Class 3 FFL's, and they are more than happy to tell local LEO's they don't have the authority to ask to see Federal Tax Stamp copies.

I have shown them to a couple Texas Game Warden's while hunting, and also a Texas Ranger, but I also have a lot more respect for those badges.

ian

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2018
    Liberty Hill
    What part of “But neither has protection against stupid.” Confused you?

have you not read any other posts on this subject by me in this thread or forum on this subject?

You believe the Federal agents who arrest people for following state law are stupid.

LinuxAssailant

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Soon to be Texan
    I think this is for non-compliance or defiance. Some states do immigrant sanctuary, or mary-jane defiance to the Feds, and it seems to be working... for the most part.

Do local LEOs tend to not enforce full-state defiance?
    It appears so.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The new Texas law has nothing to do with people that currently own " Legal" suppressor's that have a Federal Tax Stamp.
    Not talking about new law, talking about current law which has them illegal.

that is the purpose of the new law, to make them legal in Texas so you cannot get arrested by Texas leo. Jeez

Top Bottom