• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenrai

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    So I finally got my Gun Trust, and went down to Weber Sporting Goods in Temple (not to buy but to look and to learn more about the process) I know its gonna be freakin forever until I get my stuff when I do order it. One of the Salesmen was trying to sell me on a suppressor for a 7.62x39 I wanted one that would work for a 5.7x28 But mentioned that I have an AR chambered in 7.62x39 as well. He said the 7.62x39 suppressor would work just as well as a suppressor designed for a 5.7. I'm 100% new to the world of NFA awesomness So I figured I'd bring it to you guys since I met some of Y'all at the Hicksville Gun Range in Gatesville not too long ago and you put me onto this site. So I just wanna know was that salesman trying to just talk me into buying what he had because it was in stock or is there really such a negligible difference in the sounds theyd make

Last edited:

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    I am new to suppressors too, so I will let someone else provide you specifics on shooting what ammo through which cans; however, my reading has also confirmed that there is little difference (at least to your ear) between shooting smaller calibers through a larger can compared to shooting each caliber through a dedicated sized can (not to mention the added cost of having various cans). Now, if you set up a sound meter, yes, a dedicated sized can will record a lower sound level, but again, does it matter if you can't really tell with your ear? That is a debate for each person to decide.

I believe what you need to be more concerned about when looking at using a single larger can, is the pressure-handling capabilities of whatever can you plan to buy and the pressures of the ammo you plan to shoot through it. That along with making sure that the barrels you plan to shoot through are able to stabilize whatever ammo you plan to shoot and that those barrels' threads have concentric threads to avoid any internal baffle strikes.

With all that said... regardless of the direction you go, grow some urgency (lol). The time for submitting your stuff is NOW. And be sure to have them e-file your Form 4 transfer (ATF eFrom), as the eForms seem to be coming back at 90-100 days (compared to the 250-300 days for mailed-in forms). If your dealer does not do eForms, take a look at silencershop.com to see if they have/sell the can you want to buy (they stock quite a few already transferred to them, which also avoids the 3 month delay in having the can transferred to the dealer after purchase and they have great prices and do eForms and have overall great customer service even if they are not local to you).

And lastly, with the potentially impending ATF proposed rule change requiring CLEO sign off for all 'responsible persons' on the trust, you may want to get this ordered/submitted sooner rather than later. This may or may not affect you where you live depending on your local CLEO, but it does for a lot of people who live in jurisdictions where the CLEO's absolutely refuse to sign no matter who you are or what good standing you have with the law.

So actually, if you purchase an in-stock can and file now, you might actually get your can within 3-4 months with eForms. :-)

Last edited:

Tenrai

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Oh I know I get paid on the 28th I'm putting a can on lay away with Silencershop so I can get the ball rolling on my Paperwork, I did NOT know about the E filing so thankyou for that thats AWESOME to know. Thanks so much for all the awesome information

I am new to suppressors too, so I will let someone else provide you specifics on shooting what ammo through which cans; however, my reading has also confirmed that there is little difference (at least to your ear) between shooting smaller calibers through a larger can compared to shooting each caliber through a dedicated sized can (not to mention the added cost of having various cans). Now, if you set up a sound meter, yes, a dedicated sized can will record a lower sound level, but again, does it matter if you can't really tell with your ear? That is a debate for each person to decide.

I believe what you need to be more concerned about when looking at using a single larger can, is the pressure-handling capabilities of whatever can you plan to buy and the pressures of the ammo you plan to shoot through it. That along with making sure that the barrels you plan to shoot through are able to stabilize whatever ammo you plan to shoot and that those barrels' threads have concentric threads to avoid any internal baffle strikes.

With all that said... regardless of the direction you go, grow some urgency (lol). The time for submitting your stuff is NOW. And be sure to have them e-file your Form 4 transfer (ATF eFrom), as the eForms seem to be coming back at 90-100 days (compared to the 250-300 days for mailed-in forms). If your dealer does not do eForms, take a look at silencershop.com to see if they have/sell the can you want to buy (they stock quite a few already transferred to them, which also avoids the 3 month delay in having the can transferred to the dealer after purchase and they have great prices and do eForms and have overall great customer service even if they are not local to you).

And lastly, with the potentially impending ATF proposed rule change requiring CLEO sign off for all 'responsible persons' on the trust, you may want to get this ordered/submitted sooner rather than later. This may or may not affect you where you live depending on your local CLEO, but it does for a lot of people who live in jurisdictions where the CLEO's absolutely refuse to sign no matter who you are or what good standing you have with the law.

So actually, if you purchase an in-stock can and file now, you might actually get your can within 3-4 months with eForms. :-)

Tenrai

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Thats who I'm going through since we'll start the paperwork as soon as I buy the stamp and pay for half the supppressor. My Gun trust lawyer put me on to them. and the Spectre II is what I was looking at, But once that guy at the store said i could get a 7.62 can that would work also with my 5.7 I figured that would be the better way to go since I wouldnt have to pay for another stamp as well as another can
    If you want to suppress 5.7, get a SWR Spectre II.

See if Silencer Shop In Austin has them in stock.

Last edited:

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Thats who I'm going through since we'll start the paperwork as soon as I buy the stamp and pay for half the supppressor. My Gun trust lawyer put me on to them. and the Spectre II is what I was looking at, But once that guy at the store said i could get a 7.62 can that would work also with my 5.7 I figured that would be the better way to go since I wouldnt have to pay for another stamp as well as another can

You might also consider what platform you will be mounting the suppressor to. If your 5.7 is a reference to the FiveSeven handgun, then mounting a large heavy 7.62 suppressor might be 'awkward'. Whereas mounting a 7.62 can to a PS90 might not be so bad... just something else to consider.

The smaller .22 cal (i.e. the Spectre II) suppressors are in the area of 4-6oz whereas the 7.62 suppressors are more in the area of 15-25oz depending on cost.

Tenrai

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Mounting it on a PS90, Gonna chop the barrel (once the Stamp clears the ATF and then get a suppressor mount. (once that stamp clears as well)
    You might also consider what platform you will be mounting the suppressor to. If your 5.7 is a reference to the FiveSeven handgun, then mounting a large heavy 7.62 suppressor might be 'awkward'. Whereas mounting a 7.62 can to a PS90 might not be so bad... just something else to consider.

The smaller .22 cal (i.e. the Spectre II) suppressors are in the area of 4-6oz whereas the 7.62 suppressors are more in the area of 15-25oz depending on cost.

Top Bottom