• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Do I only need to keep a copy of the page that has the actual stamp on it with the suppressor or do I need copies of all 3 papers. I am referring to the Form 4. Thanks in advance
    Texas SOT

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've only ever carried a copy of the stamp.
    I hope that's enough.

Obviously I've never been called on it in 10 years.

Reactions: MTA

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I've never been asked to show my stamp. However, I keep hard copies with me when out and about with one or more 'NFA' item.

if on a trust, I have the page 1 and the page with my name on it.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    When I bought my first suppressor, the nice salesman made it a point to tell me to always have a photo of it on my phone, and possibly laminate the page and take it with me to the range (or out of the house) in case someone wants to look at it. I'm not one to knowingly do something illegal or stupid with my guns and suppressor, but who can legally demand to see that paperwork, and how often does it happen?

Say I get pulled over for a tail light out and a cop finds I have a suppressor in the car, can they demand to see the tax stamp info? What if I didn't have it on me, would they just take it under the assumption its not legal and I'm in hot water?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When I bought my first suppressor, the nice salesman made it a point to tell me to always have a photo of it on my phone, and possibly laminate the page and take it with me to the range (or out of the house) in case someone wants to look at it. I'm not one to knowingly do something illegal or stupid with my guns and suppressor, but who can legally demand to see that paperwork, and how often does it happen?

Say I get pulled over for a tail light out and a cop finds I have a suppressor in the car, can they demand to see the tax stamp info? What if I didn't have it on me, would they just take it under the assumption its not legal and I'm in hot water?

Well, if you don't at least have a copy with you, then you ARE breaking the law.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Do I only need to keep a copy of the page that has the actual stamp on it with the suppressor or do I need copies of all 3 papers. I am referring to the Form 4. Thanks in advance
    I scanned my trust into a pdf and then resized it all (big enough to still be legible) to fit on half a sheet of paper. I then fold it smaller and put it in whatever case the nfa item is in. No one can say boo.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Well, if you don't at least have a copy with you, then you ARE breaking the law.
    While ignorance of the law is no excuse, I actually had no idea it was legally required to have the tax stamp page with the can at all times. I do have a photo of it on my phone in the image gallery but I'm sure theres some technicality that says even that is not good enough. I'm still curious though, if someone approached me at the range demanding to see my papers, without a badge or warrant I'm not sure what I'd say.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    While ignorance of the law is no excuse, I actually had no idea it was legally required to have the tax stamp page with the can at all times. I do have a photo of it on my phone in the image gallery but I'm sure theres some technicality that says even that is not good enough. I'm still curious though, if someone approached me at the range demanding to see my papers, without a badge or warrant I'm not sure what I'd say.
    Show me your income taxes for last year. Bottom line your tax stamps are personal tax information

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    With eFile there are no physical copies so I keep my approved letter/stamp from the ATF in my Books app on the phone. I do the same with my trust.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    For all of those who keep copies on their phone, in the unlikely scenario you were asked about your stamp, are you going to hand your phone over to someone?

No way in hell I’d hand that much private info over to anyone.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I keep the tax stamp page in a gallon freezer bag, it fits perfectly and keeps it shielded from the weather. It won't wear out and can be rolled up instead of folded.

Reactions: MTA

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I want to see where its required to carry a copy of NFA papers

I think this is right up there with you need a BOS

Now will it make your life easy to have a copy it might.

Top Bottom