• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doubledown1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    I've heard of people using .30 cal cans on their .223. Does anyone know how well this works and if the sound is reduced much? I understand they are usually longer and heavier, but I'd like to get away with only one can and one tax stamp for now. Also, what is the going rate for having a barrel threaded?
    Guns International

300shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    I wouldn't use a 30 cal on a 223 as the noise reduction is only like 10%.I would think if your going to spend the money for a can I would get one that is right for the cal.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    You will get noticeable supression, but it won't be anywere in the range of what is capable for the round. I understand the want for one supressor for a range of rounds, but keep in mind that using a supressor for a round it is not designed for is going to produce less than desired results.

I am a fan of supressors, by the way.

p99guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Haslet
    while a 5.56 suppressor will work great on a threaded 10/22, the same cannot be said for a .30 cal suppressor used on .223.....alot of times the threads made to go on a .30cal barrel, arent 1/2x28dpi used on .223 firearms.
    The larger hole lets more gas escape before it has been slowed/cooled down, so it will be louder than a 5.56 suppressor to the point of probley still ring unprotected ears.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I was present when MIL-STD sound testing was performed on a 5.56 gun and it used a AAC/762-SD (30cal), and AAC/M4-1000 (5.56mm) can and the reduction was identical.

Yankee Hill also report similar results with the 556/762 Phantom cans.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I recently contacted YHM in regards to 3 different suppressors. In their reply the even said that their 7.62 Phantom was fine for suppressing my 10/22. Now if you think about it they basically could of made an additional sale, but told me I didn't need to spend more of my money.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    I've been looking into suppressors for several different calibers and what I have found is that the difference in using a .30 cal can on a .223 is that you loose approximately 2-3 decibels in the suppression of the .223/22, so instead of a 15 decibel decrease you only get a 12-13 db reduction.
    On the up side using a 30cal can on a 22 you have more volume so it won't "junk-up" as fast.

Joat

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I was doing some testing with my MP5 and its Subcal 22 conversion kit in the garage this weekend and have an observation from recent experience. The Raptor II gemtech can on the 9mm mp5 made the darn 22 rounds nearly silent. I don't have an apples to apples test but from shooting in a closed garage with no hearing protection I was VERY impressed.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was doing some testing with my MP5 and its Subcal 22 conversion kit in the garage this weekend and have an observation from recent experience. The Raptor II gemtech can on the 9mm mp5 made the darn 22 rounds nearly silent. I don't have an apples to apples test but from shooting in a closed garage with no hearing protection I was VERY impressed.

Maybe it has something to do with the volume of the can? I mean, .22lr is quiet enough and I'm sure a .22 can wouldn't have nearly as much volume as a typical 1.25" or 1.375" 9mm can. Even despite the larger opening, I bet that volume more than makes up for it. Man, it seems like if you just look at .22lr wrong it drops the decibel level by 50%. lol A nice guy at Lone Star shooting range let me shoot his P22 with one of those "cheapo" Tac65 suppressors. I'm sure there are suppressors out there that are more effective but, even that one and with standard pressure ammo it was still practically as quiet as one of my airsoft guns! ;) Man I need something in .22lr!

Boscobryant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Suppressor Question 30 cal can on 5.56mm

Have all the following calibers: 22, (2) 9mm, (2) 5.56, 7.62, I have not used my 7.62 on my 5.56 but I have a few friends that do. They have commented to me that it actually suppresses the noise better than the 5.56 can, Not sure why, This is not measured but by general hearing so it could be an illusion. They swear by it. The cans we all have are AAC and YHM. :) for what its worth

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX

And I am sure the wife loved that! Hey honey, I am going into the garage to shoot my machinegun.

Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    I run 5.56 through my YHM Phantom 7.62 QD can with excelent results, hearing safe on my 10.5" Noveske and 16" Bushmaster Dissapator bbls. The only complaint I have is the 7.62 can is longer and heavier than the 5.56 can. YHM specificaly designed the 5.56 QD flash hider to allow the 7.62 can to be used on it.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    One thing to note, I'm sure everybody who has posted in the thread so far is aware of this, but I haven't seen the word used, so I'm going to be the first one to use it.

The key here for suppression is "sub-sonic". You can suppress the combustion noise of a super-sonic round, but you'll still get the crack when it exceeds the speed of sound.

You can see the difference in super- and sub-sonic ammo here: YouTube - 308 supersonic and subsonic suppressed

Can you get sub-sonic .223 rounds from a commercial supplier? High speed is kinda the whole point for a .223 round, isn't it? If you're going to suppress a rifle you are probably better off with the larger slower bullets than .223.

I have an .22 AAC Pilot suppressor and I tested with probably 8-10 different ammo types before I settled on some CCI subsonic HP stuff that I'm using now. It's about $6 a box, so not too crazy expensive, but it functions reliably in both my Ruger 10/22 and my Browning Buckmark. The Ruger is actually a bit quieter than the Buckmark, but I think that's due in part to replacing the buffer pin with a quieter / softer polyurethane one.

Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Sub-Sonic is only necessary if you are looking for "hollywood quiet", I am looking for hearing safe quiet. The SS crack from a 5.56 round is minimal compared to the sound of the propellant gasses exploding, especialy from a 10.5" bbl. Another factor to consider is that a rifle bullet that is designed to do its thing on target at 2500-3500fps will act like a ball round at <1100fps with no expansion or fragmentation on target. When I desire super quiet from a 60gr bullet I insert the Ciener .22 conversion and shoot Aguila SSS through my can, my Noveske 1/7.5 twist bbl will stabilize the 60gr .22 bullet and it will expand at SS velocities. The SSS rounds are expensive compared to other .22lr subsonics out there but way cheaper than SS 5.56 ammo, and will actualy do something on target.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I have used a .45 can on .40, 9mm, .22lr and it does work, I have also used a .30 cal can on .308win, 7.62, .223. .22 lr and it also works. You start to loose like 2-3db reduction as you reduce the bullet size. However you have to remember the rate at which gases leave the barrel and expand.

From other posts i have done on the board today my opinion is get shooters! reduce cost, and buy items applicable to your situations. For me a .308 can with multi-mounts is perfect. Throw it on my .308 long guns, then snap it onto my bushmaster. Yes you do gain a few ounces of weight, and about half an inch. However you go pay $500 for a yhm .30 cal can with $200 tax stamp and you can now use it on 3guns standard? .308, 7.62x39, and 223? or you can go buy about $2500 worth of silencers and $600 worth of tax stamps? Its kinda your call But with the cost of guns and ammo going up and our right to own them in question I say spread your disposable income around and increase your purchasing power!!!!

Again my two cents!

watch this video!!!
    YouTube - YHM Phantom 7.62 QD suppressor on 10.5" Noveske 5.56 AR #2
    And for anyone that does not own a rifle/pistol silencer please know that it is not like Hollywood. IF you put a silencer on your 5.56 and pull the trigger that bullet is still moving almost 3x the speed of sound and when that piece of lead breaks the speed of sound, you will hear a very loud crack! This can only be changed by shooting Subsonic ammunition.

Please demo cans, so you can see what you are getting yourself into.

dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    watch this video!!!
    YouTube - YHM Phantom 7.62 QD suppressor on 10.5" Noveske 5.56 AR #2
    And for anyone that does not own a rifle/pistol silencer please know that it is not like hollywood. IF you put a silencer on your 5.56 and pull the trigger that bullet is still moving almost 3x the speed of sound and when that peice of lead breaks the speed of sound, you will hear a very loud crack! This can only be changed but shooting SubSonic ammunition.

Please demo cans, so you can see what you are getting yourself into.

The guy shooting in that video is a member here.

Top Bottom