• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    If you bought the can from one dealer and it has to be shipped to another dealer, then there is a dealer to dealer transfer process just like your Form 1 or 4 process.

Years ago, I bought a Varminter 2.0 suppressor from Dakota Silencer (Silencer Central now). The dealer transfer took almost as long as the time it took for my Form 4 to get approved.
    Now that they are licensed in Texas, they can ship a suppressor directly to your house when it is approved, but if you buy from a dealer which has to get the item transferred to them, it takes a long time once you get your stamp approved.
    Venture Surplus ad

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    If you bought the can from one dealer and it has to be shipped to another dealer, then there is a dealer to dealer transfer process just like your Form 1 or 4 process.

Years ago, I bought a Varminter 2.0 suppressor from Dakota Silencer (Silencer Central now). The dealer transfer took almost as long as the time it took for my Form 4 to get approved.
    Now that they are licensed in Texas, they can ship a suppressor directly to your house when it is approved, but if you buy from a dealer which has to get the item transferred to them, it takes a long time once you get your stamp approved.
    The dealer to dealer was done within a week of the purchase.

So the dealer to dealer is a store policy, not law? Silencer shop said they couldn't sell directly to me as if it were law.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    There is no "dealer to dealer law" --- that's completely made up. They just outsource everything to other dealers. They COULD sell directly to you, they just don't.

As far as mailing to stamp-in-hand... 3-6 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes 8 weeks. You talked to a government call center employee on the phone who is telling you what another government agency is supposedly doing, then you're getting USPS involved in delivering it from West Virginia.

My money would not be on Sportsman's Finest as being the ones at fault...

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    There is no "dealer to dealer law" --- that's completely made up. They just outsource everything to other dealers. They COULD sell directly to you, they just don't.

As far as mailing to stamp-in-hand... 3-6 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes 8 weeks. You talked to a government call center employee on the phone who is telling you what another government agency is supposedly doing, then you're getting USPS involved in delivering it from West Virginia.

My money would not be on Sportsman's Finest as being the ones at fault...
    Makes me wonder why they would tell me that. I just wrote Silencer Shop for clarification, just seems odd, unless they just don't want to be the "storage" guy.

I get it on Sportsman's Finest, I don't think the stamp has been shipped yet. I'm sure it's on the government end. I just thought it was odd that I received my stamp withing a week after it was approved last time, but it probably wasn't near as busy at that point.

Who knows, ATF call center says it was approved on 9/2/22 but it still says it hasn't been approved on my Silencer Shop dashboard account tracker. It might not show approved until it ships on it.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Makes me wonder why they would tell me that. I just wrote Silencer Shop for clarification, just seems odd, unless they just don't want to be the "storage" guy.

I get it on Sportsman's Finest, I don't think the stamp has been shipped yet. I'm sure it's on the government end. I just thought it was odd that I received my stamp withing a week after it was approved last time, but it probably wasn't near as busy at that point.

Who knows, ATF call center says it was approved on 9/2/22 but it still says it hasn't been approved on my Silencer Shop dashboard account tracker. It might not show approved until it ships on it.

Silencer Shop has to be the slowest retailer on the planet. It’s well documented about their delays.

I ordered (4) tubes of Rocksett that showed in stock 2-1/2 weeks ago. I finally got a shipping notice today. Won’t be buying from them again.

Capital Armory has always treated me right and in a timely manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio

Silencer Shop is a distributor with a large network of associated dealers. You buy your can from SS, who ships the can to your dealer upon approval of the Form 3.
    Your dealer will (hopefully) handle the Form 4 with you and once the stamp is received, will hand you your can (after you fill out the 4473.

eForms has been faster and easier than the paper Form 4 for me, but my dealer does a lot of NFA transfers.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Silencer Shop is a distributor with a large network of associated dealers. You buy your can from SS, who ships the can to your dealer upon approval of the Form 3.
    Your dealer will (hopefully) handle the Form 4 with you and once the stamp is received, will hand you your can (after you fill out the 4473.

eForms has been faster and easier than the paper Form 4 for me, but my dealer does a lot of NFA transfers.

Yep, that's exactly what they responded to me with. Usually distributors don't sell to the public. Honestly I think it has to do with selling the product and getting it out, they don't want to have to store it.

Eform wasn't available when I bought mine, that's how long it's been.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Less than two weeks, I was pleasantly surprised when they called. Picked up the suppressor and went and voted. I might just go eat some brisket, slam a beer, and hit the range to finish off an all American day.

35lhnWuh.jpg

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I got my can thru Silencer Shop, did everything in late August and I just emailed them to see what the status was.

Here is the reply I got back.

"Unfortunately, after your Form 4 is submitted to the ATF, Silencer Shop is treated as a 3rd party, and we no longer receive status updates in regards to your order. You can request a status update on your pending Form 4 by calling the ATF at 304-616-4500."

So who is the customer then?
    Should I check with the lgs i bought from?

I have a feeling if I called that number, it would maybe cause a delay which I dont want.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Calling the number doesn't really do anything; years ago for my first can (which took 324 days) I called twice. Gave them my info and the guy on the phone simply said "we haven't gotten to yours yet, we have no estimated time of reviewing".

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The ATF call center helped me quite a bit. They gave me a timeline, and suggested I request another stamp because mine was most likely lost. Provided the contact info and everything I needed to give them to get the replacement stamp.

Call them and see, depending on where it's at in the process, you may get some useful info.

Top Bottom