• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustycheetah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    San Antonio
    hey guys i just got an older 20 ga with some slight surface rust on the barrel does anyone know how to take it off and is there a way to repair the blueing on the barrel?

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Dependent upon how rusted, If it is very light, I would oil the area and try and remove the rust with my fingernail at first, let the oil soak overnight before you try it. If that works, a few wipes with the 0000 steel wool to get it completely gone, using lots of oil and very little pressure.

Try not to just go over the same area (don't stop and start at the same point every time). If once you have the rust off and the finish does need touch-up you have a couple options. I have used a bluing pen, paste blue as well as liquid blue to replace the finish on a variety of guns. Clean well, apply properly according to directions and oil heavy after you are done. Re check and re-oil the work the next day to ensure you have stopped the bluing process.

Good Luck

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, super fine steel wool, I have used some super fine grit sandpaper and then finished with steel wool but ONLY if it was heavier rust and I planned on having to refinish it anyways. Sounds like steel wool is all you need. I haven't seen the blue paste, where is it available.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller

btp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Houston
    That stuff is freaking magic. I picked up an old Taurus model 80 that had been thoroughly neglected in some closet for a decade. I took it apart, soaked in evaporust for 24 hours, and it looks like it just came from the foundry. Now I just need to find a place to blue it for me. I picked it up at O'riely's

EVAPO-RUST. Evaporust.com

Best rust removal product I have ever used.

Be well.

Nasa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    WCR Kat Ranch, Texas
    Check out Blue Wonder. Comes in blue or black. Catch video on Youtube. Worked really well for me. A little Blue Wonder cleaner with #0000 steel wool. Wipe it down, heat to a little above 145 degrees apply bluing to desired amount, apply developer, wipe with lube. Looks great. Use heat gun or butane torch to warm. Really simple. Did my barrel in about 45 minutes. Looks good. I bought some, used it and now I will use nothing else.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A fellow had a table at a local gun show to sell his "Blue Wonder." He had quite a set up, complete with rusted shotgun barrels, butane torch, gun oil, and a rag.

He demonstrated his "heat the iron with a torch" technique, then apply the "Blue Wonder," and wipe with a rag and oil.

It was impressive.

Another fellow walked up to the table with a rifle he wanted to sell, but it had rust on the barrel. Asked if he could remove the rust, "Sure" said the "Blue Wonder" fellow. After a few minutes of heating the barrel, application of the product, and wiping it clean with an oiled cloth, the stains and rust remained.

Said the snake-oil salesman: This don't work on guns rusted by blood.

I don't know about it working miracles on bluing, but it is the best bore cleaner I have ever used.

Be well.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's called patina. It adds character... Just oil it and scrub with a rag. Some of the rust will come off with the rag, but whatever is left is just part the of the gun's finish. Shoot and enjoy!

Top Bottom