• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The thing about hunting exotics is for a purest (me) isn't something I'd do.

Why not?

I realize what I'm about to post is debatable if the hunting grounds are very large and spread out, but for the most part I look upon them as 'canned' hunts.

I'd be embarrassed to shoot an animal trapped in by high game fences.

A buddy of mine though was very proud of his nilgai antelope, even had it mounted.
    Texas SOT

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Beat me to it.

Lots of them in Texas, really all over. Saw a scimitar hunt near Sweetwater. Saw an elk hunt at Dancing Elk dot com.
    Some people hunt feeder

Why not?

I realize what I'm about to post is debatable if the hunting grounds are very large and spread out, but for the most part I look upon them as 'canned' hunts.

A buddy of mine though was very proud of his nilgai antelope, even had it mounted.
    There is hunting & there is harvesting. Game farm/ranch= harvesting.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Why not?

Different places conduct their hunts in different ways.

Had a friend hunt oryx in S Texas. They drove a Mule around and looked at different ones, then he picked which one he wanted to shoot. Not very sporting. On the other hand, he really wanted to shoot one, but hes in his 70's and can't make the trip to Africa. So its a good fit.

There are exotic hunts that are not conducted that way. My axis deer hunt (also an exotic) was a true hunt. Took me three days to get him.

The scimitar hunt I saw appeared to be close to a canned hunt, and I think involved animals coming to a feeder, much like many Texans shoot their whitetails.

Last edited:

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    My first recommendation to hunt exotics in Texas is central or south Austin.
    Sounds like some shooting at hippies feet on the UT Campus back in the 70s. The shootists was not trying to harvest but to makes em get the feets moving rhythmically while wearing the Roman Sandals. Musta been the fore runner of exotic hunting and dancing with the Stars maybe.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Gotcha. Mum is the word to not ever mention that deal again. I still cant believe those mean boys did that. It just wasnt right. Thanks for the reminder.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom