• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I used to have an aquarium filter that used diatomaceous earth, it was used for weekly cleanings of my Oscar tank.
    Target Sports

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I had to look up what diamtacious earth was and I was impressed with all the possible uses. Is there a specific use you have in mind for it?

It's good in food grade for bones etc, it's converted into calcium in times of lacking milk/cheese. . I've used in pest control for mites in garden or for pets. It's also good for de worming animals in a non toxic way. Just an all around great natural silica treatment. There's a lot of good uses for it.

For those of you not familiar with earth tubes or bags, here's a time lapse video:

Last edited:

Ghosty1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Beaumont
    two quick things id add.

Paracord - 550 mil-spec (insist on it) is indeed very handy, essential even. and although paracord bracelet is very handy indeed and easy to carry/use, i dont really see one doing much rappelling with it, as one poster suggested. it can be obtained easily in 100 ft lengths for 10 bucks or less.
    sort of a follow up to first point (i had to do this myself, embarrassing but true...) KNOTS!
    all that great, light, strong paracord is useless if the only knot you know is a granny knot, which was the only one i knew.
    i learned a few basic knots (slip and bowline will get you FAR) and practice them time to time with a short length of line. there are several site from where you can download and print a wallet sized knot guide as well.

as always, just some suggestions...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Knowledge is easy to carry and will serve you well.
    Equipment and such are handy yet cumbersome.

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    Having been through a hurricane and 9 days with out power. It's a good idea to have some cash in various denominations. Supplies were available but with no ATMs or cash registers options get limited very quickly.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    11 days with no commercial power. No big deal, if you took simple precautions.

Actually I think that's a sliding scale and really depends on the situation. 11 days with no commercial power (let's include water, trash service, fuel, etc.) is something I would find rather unpleasant. I could get by, but I would be in a pretty foul mood.

Two or three decades ago it wouldn't have been any big deal. Heck I went through worse than that when I was active duty. I'm more cranky now and prefer to have things like indoor plumbing and such.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Actually I think that's a sliding scale and really depends on the situation. 11 days with no commercial power (let's include water, trash service, fuel, etc.) is something I would find rather unpleasant. I could get by, but I would be in a pretty foul mood.
    In 1979, hurricane Frederick hit Alabama. Despite the fact that she was technically inside the city limits of Mobile, a major city, my grandmother went 6 weeks without power, natural gas, trash pickup, or potable water coming from her pipes. If what you're preparing for is natural disaster, then that might be a useful data point.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    In 1979, hurricane Frederick hit Alabama. Despite the fact that she was technically inside the city limits of Mobile, a major city, my grandmother went 6 weeks without power, natural gas, trash pickup, or potable water coming from her pipes. If what you're preparing for is natural disaster, then that might be a useful data point.

Yes that is a very useful data point, but if we're really going to use it in terms of preparing for a natural disaster, then we also need to include the option to evacuate if it's a regional issue.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I don't see bugging out as a viable option in Texas, especially in the summer. You can't carry enough water to survive more than a couple of days and every water hole will be an ambush site for people who didn't prepare at all, but have a rifle and want your shit. Said water holes will be easy to find though, just walk to the sound of gun-fire.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly

Two or three decades ago it wouldn't have been any big deal. Heck I went through worse than that when I was active duty. I'm more cranky now and prefer to have things like indoor plumbing and such.
    Being an Off-roader and RV'r makes it pretty easy. we can process stored water,burn trash,fire up 1 of 3 gen-sets, cook with propane, solar for area lighting. it would be about 30 days, before worry started to set in. At that point, it would be armed convoy to the back up location.

Top Bottom