• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    I dont see a thread about it yet so what the hell.......Im looking for opinions about this. Do you think its an overreaction? Are you worried? Will you be buying more vitamins or gas masks or anything? lol
    Personally I think its an overreaction but the flu seems to be very easily transmitted. I find it very weird though that the WHO has jumped up to alert level 5 so soon. Kind of makes me think others may know more about this anyone may realize. All the media attention is making me worried and ask anyone that knows me, I dont get worried very easy.
    I rarely get sick (maybe once every couple years at most) and I workout/run 5 days a week and take many vitamins/supplements (no roids). Im more worried for my nieces since they have a long medical history and are still in 7th & 9th grades. I think most of it is the media getting in my head though.
    Lynx Defense

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Rule #1 in the media ... if it bleeds, it leads. With that, it's probably an overreaction.

However, with increased global travel, the threat of terrorism, and people not making the jump from sheep to lions, I'm keeping an eye on what I can.

I like to think of it as the 60's. People freaked out over killings of the K's, war, hippies, civil rights, feminism, free love, drugs, definite threats to authority, etc. Very uncertain times and a shake up of the status quo. All very real threats, but surviveable.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Back in the original epidemic era of the flu (Late 1910s) the mortality rate in the United States was around 3% ... you can chalk that up as a majority of small children and elderly that are more susceptible to stronger symptoms, and death.

Today we have much more aware and available medical infrastructure. Places like Mexico where you have true poverty, extreme amounts of population density, and a less organized, and funded, medical infrastructure you are going to see problems.

My opinion is that there is no problem for the United States, and that the media is blowing this out of proportion like they did with SARS.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm going to guess this is going to be a reason for Obama to get a reason to impliment his socialized medicine. I think People are starting to figure out the crap he has been pulling hasn't helped anyone.

There is only so much the media can do to marginalize the opposition without being too obvious that they worship the ideology.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Boycan, the flu shot doesn't keep you from gettting the flu, it just makes you have a milder case. I really doubt that this years flu shot will help you with the "swine flu" because no one really saw this one comming. They have to get (guess) the right combination of viral antigens to try and put in the vaccine each year for it to be effective.

It is really too soon to tell if the swine flu is really something to worry about. All the cases have been pretty mild so far (in the US). The only death that I'm aware of was a toddler.

You don't want to know how many toddlers, infants, and elderly die each year due to the "normal" flu. There is a reason that health care professionals recommend flu shots to these groups of people.

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I saw on the news: every year about 36000 people die from "regular" flu world wide
    these people could have been saved because it is the "regular" flu, we already have vaccine.
    this "swine" flu is brand new, no one on this planet has any natural resistance to it.
    people affected with it don't have to die if treated early with Thamaflu.....

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'm going to guess this is going to be a reason for Obama to get a reason to impliment his socialized medicine. I think People are starting to figure out the crap he has been pulling hasn't helped anyone.

There is only so much the media can do to marginalize the opposition without being too obvious that they worship the ideology.

Create a flu crisis (hoopla) and have Obama come out looking like a leader and savior.

Assuming HK's regular flu stats are correct (no reason not to), this is small compared to the usual course the flu runs.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I saw on the news: every year about 36000 people die from "regular" flu world wide
    these people could have been saved because it is the "regular" flu, we already have vaccine.
    this "swine" flu is brand new, no one on this planet has any natural resistance to it.
    people affected with it don't have to die if treated early with Thamaflu.....

Every year's flu is a new flu. The flu virus mutates constantly. That's why you need a new flu shot every year. And every year, they need to make a new vaccine.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    BOYCAN

OMG, your very first flu shot will give you cravings for abnormal foods.

Chicken fried pork chops
    Skillet gravy over rice
    Biscuits with butter
    Peach cobbler with Blue Bell Vanilla over the top

A good canadian whiskey on the rocks and a good cigar.
    I am sorry I forgot you quit smoking.

Good Canadian whiskey on the rocks and another one to top it off.YAAAAAAAAAA

CharlieBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Dont do this for gosh sakes

Funny

Attachments

• securedownload.jpeg
      securedownload.jpeg
      44.2 KB · Views: 136

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    BOYCAN

OMG, your very first flu shot will give you cravings for abnormal foods.

Chicken fried pork chops
    Skillet gravy over rice
    Biscuits with butter
    Peach cobbler with Blue Bell Vanilla over the top

A good canadian whiskey on the rocks and a good cigar.
    I am sorry I forgot you quit smoking.

Good Canadian whiskey on the rocks and another one to top it off.YAAAAAAAAAA
    Man, I crave that, and I haven't had a flu shot in years!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Every year's flu is a new flu. The flu virus mutates constantly. That's why you need a new flu shot every year. And every year, they need to make a new vaccine.

yes, the orthomyoxy (flu) virus mutates each year (you learn all kinds of fun words to say im medical school), but the calling it "new" is probably not accurate. Different, would be better.

The potential problem that has got everyone's underwear in a wad is that, given a special set of conditions, you can get a virus that is REALLY different than previous years (essentially two viruses of two different species infect the same cell and they mix their DNA). The "normal" flu of this year, is alot like the flu's of the previous years, meaning that there is a lot of immunity in the community. The potential for this "new" flu to be really different means that most, if not all the community has very little immunity. Meaning, there is the potential for a lot of people to die, mostly elderly and young children.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Who's kid is licking the pig snout?!

I don't get flu shots. Don't need a 3rd party involved. If I get sick I get sick. If I don't, I don't.

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I really doubt that this years flu shot will help you with the "swine flu" because no one really saw this one comming.

I wasn't saying I thought it would, I was saying after finally breaking down and getting a flu shot I was going to be awful upset to get some pig flu.

Top Bottom