• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Still waiting to read about the high mileage vehicles. I've got 463,000 on my 02 F350 and about 98% of that has been on conventional oil at 5,000 mile intervals. Tried a few different oils, and switched over to synthetic around 300,000 miles because walmart had it on sale for less than the dino version. Switched back when the sale was over. Had the different brands tested after the change at a lab. They all worked well.

Modern engines are amazing compared to the way things used to be. Change to and from synthetic whenever you desire. It won't cause leaks.

FYI: Also ignore the old wives tail about not changing the transmission fluid if it hasn't been changed before or in a long time.
    Military Camp

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Still waiting to read about the high mileage vehicles. I've got 463,000 on my 02 F350 and about 98% of that has been on conventional oil at 5,000 mile intervals. Tried a few different oils, and switched over to synthetic around 300,000 miles because walmart had it on sale for less than the dino version. Switched back when the sale was over. Had the different brands tested after the change at a lab. They all worked well.

Modern engines are amazing compared to the way things used to be. Change to and from synthetic whenever you desire. It won't cause leaks.

FYI: Also ignore the old wives tail about not changing the transmission fluid if it hasn't been changed before or in a long time.

Damn right.

Most modern cars have "lifetime" fluid. I suggest a change at about 100,000 miles. The fluid does wear (color isn't an indicator, though) and if it has an actual filter instead of a screen, it can get gunked up. That's a very technical term, by the way.

As far as my 5K changes... eh. The oil's not that expensive, depending on what you're using (I'm currently rocking Lubrimoly), and if I'm there for the filter, I figure I might as well do the oil, too.

With a lot of cars (like my Subaru), I'm not comfortable changing the filter that has (or should - don't use cheap filters) a bypass valve in it and leaving the potentially nasty oil that's just been bypassing for who knows how long in the crankcase to plug the new media and just start bypassing five minutes after I start back up.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Heck I'm terrified of servicing the transmission in my 85 Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOL'd

Ive been debating switching to synthetic in my trucks,08 Yukon (85k) 09 Sierra(45k). just havent done it.
    seems everyone like Mobil 1, any input on royal purple?
    as far as samples, did yall install sample valves? or have did yall recover the sample. I had blackstone send me a sample kit a few years back for my old 5.9 cummins, I never sent one off though before I sold it.
    Currently run all WIX filters

SERIOUSLY!!! I cant spell "CUMMINS", the diesel engine that comes in DODGE HD TRUCKS, give me a break.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Royal Purple is good stuff and here in Texas to boot. Mobil 1 is generally cheaper and, bigger factor, more easily found.

Wix is good filters too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Royal Purple is good stuff and here in Texas to boot. Mobil 1 is generally cheaper and, bigger factor, more easily found.

Wix is good filters too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

FYI Mobil 1 is made here too

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Anyone have opinions on additives besides seafoam? How about Lucas oil stabilizer? I run a bottle of Lucas with every oil change as well along with mobile 1. My vehicle (08 dodge ram) has had synthetic and Lucas from the get go. No problems yet at 74k. Then again I never had problems with conventional oil on my last truck (04 silverado) and it had 200k on it.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Anyone have opinions on additives besides seafoam? How about Lucas oil stabilizer? I run a bottle of Lucas with every oil change as well along with mobile 1. My vehicle (08 dodge ram) has had synthetic and Lucas from the get go. No problems yet at 74k. Then again I never had problems with conventional oil on my last truck (04 silverado) and it had 200k on it.

If you're running the synthetic lucas, I see no problem with it. However, if you're running the regular lucas, then you're not gaining the full potential of running full synthetic. Modern regular oil has come a long way, and will do just fine, but synthetic has come a longer way and will gain you extended oil change intervals and better protection from extreme/harsh running (high heat, towing, etc).

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

additives are almost always a bad idea to add to new, quality oil

Engineers have designed a stabile formula using the best base stocks and additive packages and you go an add "Magic XYZ" to the mix?

all you do is throw off the balance of the original formula.
    Do you go to Whataburger, buy a burger and take it home, scrap off the mustard, onions and pickles, and replace it with ketchup, lettuce and mayo?

In any given quart of motor oil, less than 15 percent of the product is additive, the rest is the base stock.

The additive is blended into the base stock during the manufacturing process to keep it suspended in the base stock. Oil additive packages are things like emulsifiers, zinc for anti wear, detergents, viscosity improvers, and phenols
    they are chosen by the manufacture for a reason and blended in a balanced overall formula

when you go buy aftermarket off the shelf super wizard oil additive and dump that crap into brand new oil you run a big risk of throwing off the balance of the additive package that was put there to do a job and you could destroy the capability of the oil to perform like it was intended

now, if you are running low down worn out oil and can't get around to changing it for awhile, I could see dumping some snake oil super fix it in there for a short while, even though I wouldn't do it in my engine.

a lot of these products are all about catching your eye on a TV spot or store shelf

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    My opinion is Lucas (and other) oil additives are very good at pulling money out of your pocket. Adding them to your crankcase likely won't cause any motor issues (unless you have a HEUI system), but that doesn't mean they are making the motor last any longer. Unlike decades ago, 100,000 miles really isn't any big deal for a motor. Just keep up the routine maintenance and it should go much longer.

And for anyone who really wants to know more about motor oil, go read or ask questions here - Bob is the Oil Guy

That is the place to go if you want to read about oil.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    additives are almost always a bad idea to add to new, quality oil

Engineers have designed a stabile formula using the best base stocks and additive packages and you go an add "Magic XYZ" to the mix?

all you do is throw off the balance of the original formula.
    Do you go to Whataburger, buy a burger and take it home, scrap off the mustard, onions and pickles, and replace it with ketchup, lettuce and mayo?

In any given quart of motor oil, less than 15 percent of the product is additive, the rest is the base stock.

The additive is blended into the base stock during the manufacturing process to keep it suspended in the base stock. Oil additive packages are things like emulsifiers, zinc for anti wear, detergents, viscosity improvers, and phenols
    they are chosen by the manufacture for a reason and blended in a balanced overall formula

when you go buy aftermarket off the shelf super wizard oil additive and dump that crap into brand new oil you run a big risk of throwing off the balance of the additive package that was put there to do a job and you could destroy the capability of the oil to perform like it was intended

now, if you are running low down worn out oil and can't get around to changing it for awhile, I could see dumping some snake oil super fix it in there for a short while, even though I wouldn't do it in my engine.

a lot of these products are all about catching your eye on a TV spot or store shelf
    Makes sense.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I started running synthetic in my 2006 Dodge Ram around 68,000 miles and have put about 8,000 miles on it since then. No problems whatsoever.

-TXG-

Top Bottom