• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    additives are almost always a bad idea to add to new, quality oil

Engineers have designed a stabile formula using the best base stocks and additive packages and you go an add "Magic XYZ" to the mix?

all you do is throw off the balance of the original formula.
    Do you go to Whataburger, buy a burger and take it home, scrap off the mustard, onions and pickles, and replace it with ketchup, lettuce and mayo?

In any given quart of motor oil, less than 15 percent of the product is additive, the rest is the base stock.

The additive is blended into the base stock during the manufacturing process to keep it suspended in the base stock. Oil additive packages are things like emulsifiers, zinc for anti wear, detergents, viscosity improvers, and phenols
    they are chosen by the manufacture for a reason and blended in a balanced overall formula

when you go buy aftermarket off the shelf super wizard oil additive and dump that crap into brand new oil you run a big risk of throwing off the balance of the additive package that was put there to do a job and you could destroy the capability of the oil to perform like it was intended

now, if you are running low down worn out oil and can't get around to changing it for awhile, I could see dumping some snake oil super fix it in there for a short while, even though I wouldn't do it in my engine.

a lot of these products are all about catching your eye on a TV spot or store shelf

+1 to all that.

Additives suck. Seafoam is something I love and I'd never add it to my oil. It's great for cleaning intake/fuel side stuff, but nothing other than oil should go in your oil.

I can tell you for a fact that Lucas will cause increased foaming in your oil, and all it does that can be considered remotely positive (and only then by ignorant people) is increase the viscosity of your oil.

Until it foams, that is. Air has a rather low viscosity.
    DK Firearms

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    That's pretty impressive for a Dodge.

I concur. I've always been a Ford diesel man, had a chevy that ran like a champ and was ragged on far too much, and now I drive a Dodge that runs like a Kenyan on Powerthirst. I'm impressed.
    Doesn't say it was under it's own power for those 8k miles. Could have been towed the entire time. :stir:

Doing the towing, more like. It's damn fast for fully stock and driven hard. I'm going to throw a programmer, magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust, and a better air intake on it once I get some coin. I spent what I had on my AR :loaded:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Im thinking about adding a cold air intake and an exhaust on my current car. I guess thats another thread though.

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

What kind of car? Most of the time they do nothing (beyond the placebo effect/noise), and a lot of "cold air" setups actually draw hotter air.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    OK, guys, I have owned five Dodge pickups in a row and have never had any problems with any of them. Have never had an engine opened up. And each upgrade was not because of issues, just I wants! First was 10 years, second 8 years, then the Hemi came out, had to have it. Had it for 6 years, got a raise and a new truck. Had it 4 years, then the dealer made me an offer I could not refuse for the one I have now. Last two switched to Mobil 1 at the first change and change every 5000, oil and filter.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I concur. I've always been a Ford diesel man, had a chevy that ran like a champ and was ragged on far too much, and now I drive a Dodge that runs like a Kenyan on Powerthirst. I'm impressed.

Doing the towing, more like. It's damn fast for fully stock and driven hard. I'm going to throw a programmer, magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust, and a better air intake on it once I get some coin. I spent what I had on my AR :loaded:

I agree with the post about CAI not really helping. But if you must, google willy's whistler intake. It's a DIY build. Using a 6" amsoil filter and it really lets the turbo sing. I did one for my 03 CTD for $150.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    a8e7ubu9.jpg

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX

All that does is suck in hot air under the hood. Hot air is less dense. The less dense the air, the worse the fuel burn. The worse the fuel burn, the less power made, and fuel economy takes a hit. Most factory air boxes that I've seen are an actual cold air intake. My truck, for instance, sucks in air from inside the front fender. If you want a better CAI, then, IMO, go with a Safari snorkel.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Im thinking about adding a cold air intake and an exhaust on my current car. I guess thats another thread though.

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

if you are looking for fuel economy improvement, they rarely make a difference.
    Is it a K&N system by chance?

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    All that does is suck in hot air under the hood. Hot air is less dense. The less dense the air, the worse the fuel burn. The worse the fuel burn, the less power made, and fuel economy takes a hit. Most factory air boxes that I've seen are an actual cold air intake. My truck, for instance, sucks in air from inside the front fender. If you want a better CAI, then, IMO, go with a Safari snorkel.
    In my post I said I didn't think it helped. I did it for sound. Back when I cared about that stuff. Now I can care less my new truck is all stock.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    In my post I said I didn't think it helped. I did it for sound. Back when I cared about that stuff. Now I can care less my new truck is all stock.

I replied to you, since you're the one that posted the picture for reference, but it's more directed towards comments of this nature:

That's what I want to do. I hate the factory air filter box. Too restrictive and not enough flow.

-TXG-

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's what I want to do. I hate the factory air filter box. Too restrictive and not enough flow.

-TXG-

LMAO!

I'm sorry, but you're getting your information from advertising copy or people who get their info from advertising copy. Unless you've turned the wick up significantly, the stock air box is more than enough for your vehicle.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    The 25k will be fine. Just try it on the 120k. If you notice leaks or consumption then just switch back. Out work 04 F150 is about to roll over 200k and we've pretty much always use the ford syn blend stuff at the oil changers. It doesnt leak and only consumes a tad. Pribably when hauling the trailer against the wind.

The only reason I see to get Syn is if youre wanting to go 6k+ miles between changes. Ive seen engines last just as long on dino oil si its whatever for me.

I was reading an article and it made sense IF it has been proven. It stated to stay with the same brand and type of oil for the life of tge engine. Switching between brands and such changes the detergents and chemicals each company uses.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The 25k will be fine. Just try it on the 120k. If you notice leaks or consumption then just switch back. Out work 04 F150 is about to roll over 200k and we've pretty much always use the ford syn blend stuff at the oil changers. It doesnt leak and only consumes a tad. Pribably when hauling the trailer against the wind.

The only reason I see to get Syn is if youre wanting to go 6k+ miles between changes. Ive seen engines last just as long on dino oil si its whatever for me.

I was reading an article and it made sense IF it has been proven. It stated to stay with the same brand and type of oil for the life of tge engine. Switching between brands and such changes the detergents and chemicals each company uses.

Brand matters less than viscosity you choose.

FWIW, I like to run synthetics not for the extended change intervals, but for the fact I can get a 0W30 or 0W40.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Brand matters less than viscosity you choose.

FWIW, I like to run synthetics not for the extended change intervals, but for the fact I can get a 0W30 or 0W40.

Wasnt talking about viscosity. Im talking about the different types of oils each company sells. Plain dino, high mileage, syn blend, etc.

Top Bottom