• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    how bout some opinions on a utility Shotgun stock, will have a bird barrel and a 18 in. Synthetic or wood?
    Im wondering about the weight, plastic seems lighter, is there more perceived recoil? And what to avoid in a used 870?
    thanks
    Target Sports

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Synthetic is definitely lighter, and with lighter weight comes more recoil...not perceived recoil, but real, felt recoil. For a dual-purpose shotgun, I prefer synthetic just for the sake of durability and not having to worry about banging the wood up.

On the 870's, like any other gun, look for signs of neglect. If the gun looks good on the outside and down the barrel, remove the forend to ensure no rust exists on the magazine tube or action rails. Make sure there is not excessive slop in the forend. Function test the safety.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Depends on what it's for.

I replaced the wood stock and forend on my Mossberg with a Knox SpecOps. Mostly just for grins but I may like it once I finally get it out and shoot it and find recoil is all but gone. Then again, I may put the wood back on as the sights lines up with it to the shoulder, easier. I dont think the weight change was enough to make a difference.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Weight and recoil never seemed to bother me much, I would have to say if you want to be able to have an all weather shotgun, go synthetic. I like wood, but with my field shotty (88 Mav) I went with the plastic.

Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    Thanks guys for all replies, the 870 will be utility, the bird barrel for hunting, the 18 for HD.
    Anyone know bout MIM parts on the 870? is the receiver on the express differnt on the police model or wingmaster? any advantage to the 3.5? dont really antcipate a need for a 3.5 shell, but are the receivers the same regarding quality of steel?
    Thanks to forum and its members.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom