• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Anyone using System Mechanic? I found it for $25 and was wondering if it's any good. Does it improve boot up speed and internet speed as claimed? What's your experience with? Would I be better off with Norton Utilities?

Is it a waste of money?
    Target Sports

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Why would ADDING a system wide utility speed up the system? You're just introducing a whole 'nother layer of failure and waste system resources. Waste of money, and so is Norton anything. Grab some more RAM instead. That actually helps.

Gmofftarki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    If you want faster boot-up, buy an SSD and just put your operating system on it. It'll cost a tad more than your $25 (I think you can get them for $40-60 in sizes big enough to hold Windows), but it'll actually work.

As to internet speed... that's a complicated issue. System Mechanic won't touch it, but the bottleneck could be just about anywhere. Your CPU, RAM errors, the connection to your house, the connection to the site you want, any of the dozens of connections in between.

Basically, don't waste your money.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Defragment your system and delete unnecessary files. Prevent unnecessary items from auto startup

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Not even defragmenting the system drive is necessary anymore. And actually warned against doing so with SSD drives.

El Pistolero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Frisco, TX
    Download CCleaner and to a scan. Scrutinize some of the items it finds as obsolete and orphaned. Be careful- but its a great alternative to manually combing the registry. You can browse through start up items too. You don't have to keep it monitoring your system but it will do that for you too. Very low process user.

System Mech and a lot of other utils will eat up processor cycles for real-time monitoring- old AV applications will also do that- like Norton and McAfee.

Top Bottom