• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Can anybody here tell me the best way on how to find out what the twist rate on a 14'' .22 hornet barrel. One site said 1:12 and found another saying 1:14 twist. How can I do it myself to find out ? Whats the best way recommended ?
    ARJ Defense ad

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You can find anything on the internet:
    If you are unsure of the twist rate of the barrel, you can measure it yourself in a couple of minutes. You need a good cleaning rod with a rotating handle and a jag with a fairly tight fitting patch. Utilize a rod guide if you are accessing the barrel through the breech or a muzzle guide if you are going to come in from the muzzle end. Make sure the rod rotates freely in the handle under load. Start the patch into the barrel for a few inches and then stop. Put a piece of tape at the back of the rod by the handle (like a flag) or mark the rod in some way. Measure how much of the rod is still protruding from the rod guide. You can either measure from the rod guide or muzzle guide back to the flag or to a spot on the handle. Next, continue to push the rod in until the mark or tape flag has made one complete revolution. Re-measure the amount of rod that is left sticking out of the barrel. Use the same reference marks as you did on the first measurement. Next, subtract this measurement from the first measurement. This number is the twist rate. For example, if the rod has 24 inches remaining at the start and 16 inches remain after making one revolution, you have 8 inches of travel, thus a 1:8 twist barrel.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Thanks Bullseye . Gonna write that info down and try to replicate it as soon as I can tonite. I was always wondering how that was done. Thanks again.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Thank you

Bullseye. ... I did the measurement on my barrel and got 1:12 twist. I'm wanting to cast my own but before i commit to buying a mold am wanting to know also what would be a good mold to get now that i know the twist of my barrel. Been shooting 45 gr. PSP Midway bullets but want to get into casting my own. Can you help me there or recommend ?

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Lyman makes a 44 grain .225 round nose bullet mold that should work. I believe it requires a gas check, no surprise there. Your T/C barrel should be .224 so that bullet should work just fine. They also have a 55 grain semi-pointed bullet mold in .225 that should stabilize in your Hornet.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Thank you Bullseye !

Thanks Bullseye. gonna look into it as soon as I can. Gonna have to wait till after Christmas. Right now , I'm going to start looking on line for the mold, sizing die and top punch needed for the RCBS lubeamatic sizer I have. Thanks a million Bullseye for your time and kind words of advice you've given me. If I can ever do anything for you in return ...holler at me. Thanks again.

Top Bottom