• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Let me tell you a bit about T&G Sales. I bought a magazine from them, for my Beretta 950BS Minx, at the Mesquite Rodeo gun show a couple or few weeks back. Wound up the magazine was defective and I had no receipt and figured it was a lost cause. It was a Triple-K mag but I thought it was doubtful they'd replace something for which I had already tossed the package into the trash and for which there was no receipt. Then, I found a business card in the bag the mag had been in from the show. It was for T & G Sales. I sent an email to the proprietor Rich Scott, told him what was the issue with the magazine. He said to send it to him because he would replace it. I sent the mag to him, he received it, he said he'd send me a new one, likely next week.

Brendan (my son) and I went to the gun show at the Big Town Events center on October 5. I saw that T&G had a table at the Big Town show and went over an introduced myself to Rich right after taking another Triple-K mag off of his display. I told him who I was and asked if I could just take that mag there as a replacement. He most cordially agreed and asked if I had taken it out of the package to examine it which I had not done. So, he took it out, looked it over and asked his associate to find him a box of 22 short. In just a little bit, he loaded the mag full of 22 short rounds to see if this one worked then pushed each out with his thumb and one after another they were pushed to the top by the follower. The first one I got would have failed this test.

So, I was happy to take this replacement. I told him I was glad he checked it because it meant I would not have to return this one and joked that it could wind up getting expensive due to postage to return the mags. We talked a bit more and I was saying thanks again and goodbye when he pushed a ten spot toward me and insisted I take it for the postage. I tried to say no but he insisted. I took it then told him we could split the difference and a 5 would be more than enough but he again insisted. That certainly was not my intent when I had mentioned the postage and I am sure he knew that; he just said he stands behind what he sells. What a professional, courteous and nice dealer. I told him next time I am there to buy mags, it will be from him.

I told Brendan about that maybe an hour or so later when we ran into one another in our ramblings around the hall. I told him if he was going to buy any mags to go to T & G Sales. That's what he did and he bought an AK mag there. I am pretty sure he only did that because Rich had done such a nice thing for me; Brendan certainly did not need anymore AK mags and was short on cash. Anyway, I went back over to the T & G Sales table later on, Rich was not there right then but his associate helped me, and I bought a two-pack of Ruger 25 round 10/22 mags. When I need mags when at future shows where T & G Sales is present, I'll be buying from them if they have what I need. Great guys, large selection, very good to excellent prices, excellent customer service - it does not get better than them.
    Capitol Armory ad

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Every tripleK mag I have bought for my Minx (.22 short) has been a turd)
    I finally found a factory mag on eBay for about $50 that works great.

Glad you had a good experience with a vendor that sells those and I hope you got one that works.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Could not find a website for them. I need some GOOD 1911 8 rd. mags.
    Chip McCormick, Kimber, Sig, and Wilson Combat have all run flawlessly for me. Honestly if you stay away from pro-mag and mecgar you should be OK.

ETA: Chip instead of Chuck.

Last edited:

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I’ve always stayed away from Triple K mags because of bad experiences that my friends and family have had.

About 30 years ago, mags for 44 Auto Mags were impossible to find. If you did find one it would cost anywhere from $150- $200. I had found out that Triple K did a run of Auto Mags once a year, so I got on the waiting list. Oh, and they were like $30 or so. What did I have to lose?

When I finally got my mag over a year later, I was hoping, but not expecting it to work. Auto Mags can be very finicky, even with factory mags. To my surprise, the sumbitch ran like a top!

Do I still buy Triple K mags? Hell no! Not unless I happen to come across a $30 Auto Mag one.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Every tripleK mag I have bought for my Minx (.22 short) has been a turd)
    I finally found a factory mag on eBay for about $50 that works great.

Glad you had a good experience with a vendor that sells those and I hope you got one that works.
    Would you please post a couple or few pics of the Beretta factory mag and any markings it has. I'd like to pick one of them up for myself but I think all I have seen have been Triple-K being sold as OEM. In fact, I am pretty sure the one that came with my Beretta 950BS is a Triple-K mag.

Thanks.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Would you please post a couple or few pics of the Beretta factory mag and any markings it has. I'd like to pick one of them up for myself but I think all I have seen have been Triple-K being sold as OEM. In fact, I am pretty sure the one that came with my Beretta 950BS is a Triple-K mag.

Thanks.
    Will do it this weekend when I get home.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Doesn't the original factory mag have the large vertical open oblong slot along the side? You can see the spring IIRC.
    The after market mags just have the counting holes along the sides?

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Chip McCormick, Kimber, Sig, and Wilson Combat have all run flawlessly for me. Honestly if you stay away from pro-mag and mecgar you should be OK.

ETA: Chip instead of Chuck.

What's wrong with Mec-gar? They are the OEM for lots of brands: Beretta, Sig, CZ, Browning, etc...

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    What's wrong with Mec-gar? They are the OEM for lots of brands: Beretta, Sig, CZ, Browning, etc...
    I used to have 2 of them, one wasn't reliable in my Springfield, and the other wasn't reliable in my Kimber. Easyrider has one of them now, because it fed great in his Smith.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Doesn't the original factory mag have the large vertical open oblong slot along the side? You can see the spring IIRC.
    The after market mags just have the counting holes along the sides?
    The aftermarket mag, at least the one I got that was made by Triple-K, has a vertical slot through which you can see the spring. I have no clue about the original Beretta mags for the 950BS in 22 Short.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've had no problems with Mec-Gar mags. They are OEM for Canik, I've got them for my 5906, and I've got some 1911 mags from them. They all run perfectly.
    I've got them for my 9mm 1911's, Hi-Power, and Canik. They all work flawlessly.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Where did you get that info, that Mec-Gar is the OEM of magazines for major brands of gun makers like the ones you mentioned? It got me curious; so, I went to their site and read the OEM Manufactruing page, the About page and some others and nowhere did I notice them claiming to be the OEM of magazines for other companies like Beretta. As a matter of fact, when I looked at their magazines for the Beretta 92FS it seems they make at least one proprietary magazine for the 92FS; and all of their magazines are marked with the Mec-Gar trademark. I could not find anything on their magazine pages either that said Mec-Gar produces OEM mags for Beretta. Maybe I did not look in the right places or maybe they just do not advertise that fact.

If I were to discover that Mec-Gar is the actual manufacturer of mags for companies like Beretta, then the next time I need mags I may go with them if - as I suspect - the Mec-Gar brand magazines would be less expensive than the gun maker brand-name magazines. Not about to do that though until I see some real evidence of it from either Mec-Gar or one of the gun makers.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I can't tell which mags originally came with my 92FS, I've got a bunch from various companies.

But I do know for sure my Sig P228 came from the factory with Mec-Gar mags because all of them say 'Mec-Gar, Made in Italy'. I don't have any for that gun that aren't Mec-Gar and it was purchased brand new.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I can't tell which mags originally came with my 92FS, I've got a bunch from various companies.

But I do know for sure my Sig P228 came from the factory with Mec-Gar mags because all of them say 'Mec-Gar, Made in Italy'. I don't have any for that gun that aren't Mec-Gar and it was purchased brand new.

Well, at least as far as Beretta goes, they make their own magazines, as I had thought. I made an inquiry of them and this was there answer:
    "We make all of our own magazines for our firearms but there are companies that make magazines that will work in our guns for example Triple K and mec-gar, but they don't [sic] them for us."

So, I'll not be buying any Mec-Gar mags for my Berettas; I prefer OEM mags for my pistols when I can get them.

As for your SIG coming with Mec-Gar mags, I would think SIG makes their own mags but cannot say with certainty as I have not ever bought a Sig and have not used one since I retired. When I retired, several years ago, the mags were not marked Mec-Gar. I am the cynical type (that's the New Yorker in me) when it comes to things like that; if I bought a major manufacturer's pistol and it came with another company's mags, I would question that with the gun manufacturer to assure I was not getting hosed by the dealer in as much as the dealer may have pulled a switch. I am not saying that was the case with your SIG coming with Mec-Gar mags, just that if I bought a gun with an off brand mag in it and the gun was supposed to be new in the box, it would have me questioning what was going on. A quick trip to the SIG website shows their available mags for the P228 are marked SIGSAUER, see: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p228-p229-10rd-9mm-magazine.html, and https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p228-p229-13rd-9mm-magazine.html. Could be the ones that ship with the guns now (or at one time) though are marked Mec-Gar but maybe not.

When I see stuff like the below quote, I wonder where the info came from:
    Mec-Gar is the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of a variety of popular factory magazines for brands including Beretta...

I found that at a major magazine dealer's site here. I don't know if the dealer composed that or if they got it from Mec-Gar but I did not see that quote on the Mec-Gar site on their OEM page (although I could have missed it). It seems to me, that statement is, shall I say, either at least somewhat misleading or a stretch of someone's imagination as to what are OEM factory magazines. Sure, Mec-Gar is the original equipment manufacturer of Mec-Gar magazines and they do make them for (my meaning of for here is 'for use in') various major gun manufacturers' pistols but are they the actual OEM manufacturer of the magazines that come with those brands of guns when the guns are new from the gun maker's factory! At least as far as Beretta pistols magazines go, it seems the pistol manufacturer would disagree with that statement.

Last edited:

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    At the NRA convention last year and the expo this year I was able to talk to the people from Mec-Gar. They make magazines for many companies. Not all of them are marked Mec-Gar.

I know my Canik mags are marked Mec-Gar.

Building reliable magazines isn't the easiest thing around. That's why there are a couple of companies that really specialize in it.

Many gun companies won't tell you that Mec-Gar makes the mags. They would rather you buy them from the company and let them make the money. I know that many Beretta mags are made my Mec-Gar and marked Beretta.

Top Bottom