• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Let me say, I am not a hunter... I shoot other things. As far as the guilt of a "clean kill" I dont think I need to talk to you about that. I started my post by saying that it was an idea some of us were talking about. In other words, I was looking for opinions, I guess I definatley got Hoji's!

Yes you did. What you are proposing is about as ethical as hanging out with Michael Vick and fighting dogs.
    Said nothing about guilt, if your conscience will let you wound wild animals, that is on you. I will however, if given the chance to blast a totally inappropiate idea, do so.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So let me try and get a better idea of what you are saying. Is it just a carry gun that you are opposed to or a handgun all together? How about archery equipment? I'm not flaming anyone's ideas or morals, I'm just asking a few questions.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I certainly can't speak for Hoji, but I will venture a guess that he is opposed to the idea of sending in guys with .380/.40/.45's to shoot hogs. Carry pieces tend to be smaller pistols with short barrels, which isn't good for accuracy or power. Then, trying to get the guys within a range they can accurately hit the kill zone is another issue (add a little adrenaline and most people won't hit the kill zone [if they even know where it is] with their 3.5" barrel at 20 yards when they only have a second to fire). Finally, you get at the the fact that hunting pistols are not something you can easily conceal for a reason......and real hunting pistols are over-kill (no pun intended) for self defense unless you have the bad guys lined up 3 deep.

Theoretically, you probably wouldn't get many good safe hunters because a good hunter will have the proper equipment for their prey, therefore, they would not select a concealed carry pistol as a tool for hunting.

Sorry for the long run-on sentences. Again, I can't speak for Hoji, but am guessing that is some of the issue he has with the idea (because that is the problem that I see).

I think it's a great idea to get a hog hunt together, but my opinion is that the methodology needs to change. If you want to hunt hog, bring the proper tools to do the job quickly and humanely.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Been playing with an idea of a CHL hog-hunt... thinking of a small buy in to go to a RTKBA orginization as a donation. Rules would be along the lines of your first shot must be with your every day carry piece, but there will be a designated "saftey shooter" to back you up... Any ideas?

This is where I have the serious problem. A handgun is fine for hunting if it is of an appropiate caliber, and the hunter is skilled. A "carry piece" is not a hunting caliber, nor would it be a humane and ethical method of killing prey. D knows this as well as he speaks of a "safety shooter" to clean up the mess.

D also admits to not being a hunter, fair enough, but I am not the kind of person to be nice to someone who spouts off a really bad idea. then defends it.

What you are talking about is wounding an animal for shits and giggles, and hoping your "safety shooter can get a humane shot off before the pig runs off into the brush to die a long excruciating death by way of an infection, or if it does not die, you have made a potentially very dangerous animal that some other hunter will have to deal with someday.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    midol.gif

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I would not have a problem shooting a hog out to 50 yards with my Les Baer .45. Yes I carry a full size 1911. Hell I have a buddy in Florida that kills smaller hogs with a .22 short rifle all the time with a single shot. Shot placement is one of the skills that a hunter must have.

I think everyone has a different opinion of what hunting is. Sitting in a blind & shooting animals under a feeder aint nothing more then killing IMHO. Hell I can see killing a hog under a feeder with any of my 9 mm as very doable.

I seen guys make kill shots with bows & rifles that I personally would never attempt. That does not make them wrong, just more skilled.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I would not have a problem shooting a hog out to 50 yards with my Les Baer .45. Yes I carry a full size 1911. Hell I have a buddy in Florida that kills smaller hogs with a .22 short rifle all the time with a single shot. Shot placement is one of the skills that a hunter must have.
    That does not make them wrong, just more skilled.

+10,000

awww. was supposed to be the midol pic :(

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have to agree with the idea that a carry gun for hogs isn't the best idea. I would also have to agree with the post by Kingofwylietx. So I would have to say if hogs are the game go 44 (or bigger) or go rifle, and stay away from the smaller calibers. I have carried .40 on a hog/yote hunt but that was a "just in case" gun.

Top Bottom