Tactical Shotgun Reloading

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Howie, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Howie

Howie New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi All,

I have a friend who was telling me about a tactical shotgun reload technique where the load is switched from shot to slug via the ejector and vice versa.

I have never seen this, and I assume it is done with a pump.

Can anyone describe this procedure? It sounds neat.

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    he is refering to a shell swap,not a load, basically you are going to rack your slide to the rear, rotate your ejection port to the ground and dump the two shells... you are then going to use your off hand to place a slug in through the ejection port running the slide forward.....

3. Jeff-Tex

Jeff-Tex Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Your talking about loading directly into the receiver rather than from the mag tube. It can only be done with a pump. You can chamber each load individually and choose what load to shoot each time. However, you can only do this with an empty mag tube. I load my first round this way.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    you do not need an empty tube, see my post above, this is very easily done with practice, the method differs only slightly for an auto loader....

5. Howie

Howie New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Thank You DirtyD, That is indeed to what I was referring.

You mention dropping "two" shells in your initial post. I assume this is the empty shell casing, but what is the second?

Off of the top of my head, my Mossberg 500 action ejects the chambered shell when the slide is pulled back, and releases the next shell from the mag tube when the slide starts to move forward again.

When is the substitute shell placed in?

6. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The first is the empty shell casing, which may have already been ejected, depending on the force you used to cycle the pump to the rear, the second will be laying on the carrier, the action of sliding the pump forward loads the next shell in the chamber. The slug is placed in through the ejection port after dumping the two, prior to cycling the pump forward....

7. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Does anyone know of any demo vids of individuals doing this? How fast are you DirtyD with this method? What kinds of rounds do you look to load? Different sizes of buckshot and a slug or two or just 00 and slugs?

8. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea

thank you.... it seems like the pump hand (non trigger hand) seems to be the speediest method for throwing them into the port... is this everyone else's experience with speed loading?

9. Jeff-Tex

Jeff-Tex Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    That's not me, just one of many examples on the tube. I do it different than that guy. I have a 4 rnd side saddle, place 1 up and 3 down. Holding the gun with my right hand, I use my left hand and take the first round and go over the top and chamber. Then hold the gun by the pump with my left hand and load the other 3 in the tube with my right.

There is a video of a marine blindly slapping them in. He's pretty fast!

YouTube - Shotgun Tricks....