• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Howie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Hi All,

I have a friend who was telling me about a tactical shotgun reload technique where the load is switched from shot to slug via the ejector and vice versa.

I have never seen this, and I assume it is done with a pump.

Can anyone describe this procedure? It sounds neat.
    ARJ Defense ad

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    he is refering to a shell swap,not a load, basically you are going to rack your slide to the rear, rotate your ejection port to the ground and dump the two shells... you are then going to use your off hand to place a slug in through the ejection port running the slide forward.....

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Your talking about loading directly into the receiver rather than from the mag tube. It can only be done with a pump. You can chamber each load individually and choose what load to shoot each time. However, you can only do this with an empty mag tube. I load my first round this way.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    you do not need an empty tube, see my post above, this is very easily done with practice, the method differs only slightly for an auto loader....

Howie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Thank You DirtyD, That is indeed to what I was referring.

You mention dropping "two" shells in your initial post. I assume this is the empty shell casing, but what is the second?

Off of the top of my head, my Mossberg 500 action ejects the chambered shell when the slide is pulled back, and releases the next shell from the mag tube when the slide starts to move forward again.

When is the substitute shell placed in?

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The first is the empty shell casing, which may have already been ejected, depending on the force you used to cycle the pump to the rear, the second will be laying on the carrier, the action of sliding the pump forward loads the next shell in the chamber. The slug is placed in through the ejection port after dumping the two, prior to cycling the pump forward....

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Does anyone know of any demo vids of individuals doing this? How fast are you DirtyD with this method? What kinds of rounds do you look to load? Different sizes of buckshot and a slug or two or just 00 and slugs?

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    That's not me, just one of many examples on the tube. I do it different than that guy. I have a 4 rnd side saddle, place 1 up and 3 down. Holding the gun with my right hand, I use my left hand and take the first round and go over the top and chamber. Then hold the gun by the pump with my left hand and load the other 3 in the tube with my right.

There is a video of a marine blindly slapping them in. He's pretty fast!

YouTube - Shotgun Tricks....

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    Hi All,

I have a friend who was telling me about a tactical shotgun reload technique where the load is switched from shot to slug via the ejector and vice versa.

I have never seen this, and I assume it is done with a pump.

Can anyone describe this procedure? It sounds neat.

Its called a SWAP. Nothing "tactical" about it. It can be done with either pump or semi-auto.

On a pump: Slide the fore-end back, this will eject a shell if there is one in the chamber, either catch it or just let it eject. Now there will be a shell on the carrier, just dump that one out and put it in your pocket or keep it in your hand. Now just load whatever you want and slide the slide foreward.

Aren't "tactical" reloads only done with something with a detachable magazine???? There is only SPEED reloads with a shotgun.

Check this out:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5dsnBsxXs]YouTube - Army Pro Tips: SSG Johnson, PFC Horner Shotgun Reloading[/URL]

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I agree with starker on this one...it's neat and all, but it seems faster to just have the mag full....the only advantage I can see to practicing is if your mag empties and you need to get 'em in fast to defend yourself. I guess in my situation it would be helpful in the fact that I can't keep a round chambered for a home defense situation because I have small children in the house...I keep the action open so all I have to do is pop in a shell and I'm ready to go. At the same time I think while I'm "clearing" rooms, I should have time (more than likely) to fill the mag on the 870. Alright, so as I'm writing this post, I'm seeing more and more advantages to this...my mind is rambling internally...I need to practice this in case I don't have time... Still it seems more helpful for those of us with kids in the house than those without. If you don't have to worry about someone "playing" with it, you can keep it fully loaded. I will say htis though...in a HD situation, if it takes more than a full mag in your shotty, you're doing something wrong.LMAO...Sorry, I think I'm just rambling now...

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I agree with starker on this one...it's neat and all, but it seems faster to just have the mag full....the only advantage I can see to practicing is if your mag empties and you need to get 'em in fast to defend yourself. I guess in my situation it would be helpful in the fact that I can't keep a round chambered for a home defense situation because I have small children in the house...I keep the action open so all I have to do is pop in a shell and I'm ready to go. At the same time I think while I'm "clearing" rooms, I should have time (more than likely) to fill the mag on the 870. Alright, so as I'm writing this post, I'm seeing more and more advantages to this...my mind is rambling internally...I need to practice this in case I don't have time... Still it seems more helpful for those of us with kids in the house than those without. If you don't have to worry about someone "playing" with it, you can keep it fully loaded. I will say htis though...in a HD situation, if it takes more than a full mag in your shotty, you're doing something wrong.LMAO...Sorry, I think I'm just rambling now...

Dear god I can only imagine a perps chest after a full mag of buck. Talk about a beating. Even if it doesn't strike any organs (which I highly doubt that after a full mag you've missed them all) the chest would be so battered that it would take years of surgery.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    If your in the DFW area the Dallas Pistol Club has a Tactical/Defensive shotgun match the second sunday of the month. It's always challenging and fun, you'll learn alot about your gun and yourself. Those guys out there are friendly and willing to help just be sure to follow the range rules and your good to go.

[URL="http://www.dallaspistolclub.com"][url]www.dallaspistolclub.com[/URL][/URL]

JD

That sounds awesome. What kinds of shooting categories are they competing in?

Twincannons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    North Texas
    Dallas Pistol Club places the shotgun in semi-auto or pump and less then 5 and 5 or more in the shotgun ( or it is 5 or less and more then 5). They shoot steel plates with no-shoots mixed in, one stage will be a speed plate rack and one stage will have cardboard targets for slug use usually 4 or five slugs.

JD

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Speed loading

This is similiar to Cowboy Action shotgun shooting with a Model 1897 Winchester pump. They do this to make the shooting fair for competing double barrel shooters, instead of loading more than two in the magazine tube, they feed the following two by hand through the ejection port. Some are very fast at it.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    This is similiar to Cowboy Action shotgun shooting with a Model 1897 Winchester pump. They do this to make the shooting fair for competing double barrel shooters, instead of loading more than two in the magazine tube, they feed the following two by hand through the ejection port. Some are very fast at it.

That makes sense.

Top Bottom