Join TexasGunTalk

Take care of yourself folks

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by deemus, Apr 22, 2019.

1. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Lost a friend on Friday. 45ish. Had a heart attack (widow maker) but survived. Took steps to get better, but less than a year later he's dead.

Don't wait to care for your health.

I started at about 50. But I feel I was a bit ahead of the curve due to my California health nut wife. I had no warning signs and good testing numbers when I started. Just pudgy and didn't sleep well.

Now my numbers are better, I'm 35 lbs lighter, and I sleep like a rock. But I'm not taking it for granted. Time for the next step.

jordanmills, Dad_Roman, EZ-E and 3 others like this.
  2. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    Yoga?

3. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Goat yoga

4. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    I’m sorry you lost a friend. I’m close to 40 and though I’m in good shape compared to others my age, I’m feeling the struggle to do what I used to, physically. Again my thoughts go out to you.

5. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Agreed. i'm turning 38 this year. I can tell... my body is slowing down. But, I continue to keep plowing forward with reckless abandon.

Sorry for the loss Deemus.

vmax, Dad_Roman, deemus and 2 others like this.
  6. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    I’m finding it hard to eat healthy all the time. It will come in waves. Few weeks I’ll be good then I’ll eat like crap again.

I’m picking up a bow flex tomorrow. Figured I’d make an attempt to put muscle back on and keep looking for people that want to do boxing and jui jitsu workouts with me even if they don’t know anything and want to learn. Maybe add some jogging in. It’s weird being near 40...I feel, as fireinthewire describes, slowing down. Yet I know we can still get shit done.

vmax, FireInTheWire and ZX9RCAM like this.
  7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I used to enjoy jogging 20-25 years ago.
    My knees quit being able to handle it long ago, between that, and shattering my ankle in 2005 requiring 3 screws, I'm doing good to walk, lol.

FireInTheWire, Sam7sf and toddnjoyce like this.
  8. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    We live 35mi from the nearest town. So, we never eat out. I think eating at home is a huge step in eating healthy. Eating out is expensive and the food sucks.

The part that is showing signs of age are my hands. My hands hurt all the time. I abuse the hell outta them, but that's just my lifestyle. I can tell going forward, i'm going to have to do some research on hand pain relief.

rmantoo, ZX9RCAM and Sam7sf like this.
  9. deemus

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a routine. Salad with chicken on Monday and Wednesday. Baby steps. Last week switched from ranch to vingarette.

When you make a routine it gets easier. Kind of like Tuesday and Friday were leg day for years. I have cheat days and sometimes it's just not convenient, so a burger it is. But the routine remains.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Sam7sf, ZX9RCAM and FireInTheWire like this.
  10. deemus

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Getting back into hiking. I need it fir this fall's hunting anyway. But going to push harder.

Vaquero likes this.