DK Firearms

Taken my first steps into a brave new world.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    16506077190981444880295197646958.jpg

Now let's try not to ruin a couple hundred dollars worth of meat learning.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Make sure you get a meat thermometer that you leave in. Get one with a set point alarm.

X2

Best $60 OP can spend.

ThermoPro TP25 500FT Bluetooth Meat Thermometer with 4-Probes, Smart Rechargeable Wireless Meat Thermometer for Grilling, Smoker, Oven, Kitchen, BBQ Thermometer with Alarm, Temperature Graph Amazon product ASIN B07Z7HDNC4

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    X2

Best $60 OP can spend.

ThermoPro TP25 500FT Bluetooth Meat Thermometer with 4-Probes, Smart Rechargeable Wireless Meat Thermometer for Grilling, Smoker, Oven, Kitchen, BBQ Thermometer with Alarm, Temperature Graph Amazon product ASIN B07Z7HDNC4
    With BT. That's some next level shit.

It's says it'll be delivered the 25th. Thanks for spending my money for me.

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    I suggest that you fire it up without meat for several hours just to burn off any protective shipping coating also buy a good book that covers wood, briquets, propane, pellets and has lots of recipes...mine is loaned out and my CRS prevents me from listing the name;)
    I love my green mountain pellet smoker. I've had it since it came out. I love the remote control and built in meat temp. I can adjust the cook temp if I'm running late in town, or the meat is cooking to slow when out wine tasting. No need to be home tending the bbq. Pellets are awesome.

Lessons - Get the bbq real hot, then quickly poor a beer across the grates and close the lid to steam it. The new smell will be gone instantly and the bbq is ready to use. Depending on use you need to clean the burn box. It really effects the efficiency. I do mine every few hundred pounds of pellets, probably should do it ore often. Different pellets burn dirtier. Learn how to hot start the grill before you lose power, or trip a breaker. Most bbqs have a hot restart. There are after market slider grill grates that are awesome (bbqhq), they change where the meat is in the air flow and can make it a double decker if it isn't already. Some bbq need it, some don't, mine did.. Totally need a good instant read thermometer along with the inline temp monitoring. You need to read both the flat and the ball of a brisket. I have the thermo-pen, love it. Once you make an amazing smoked Turkey you are never allowed not to make it, and Thanksgiving gets to be 20 people......
    I also did an amazing smoker pot roast as another option for brisket when it's just the wife and I. It was amazing. Pesto covered tri tip is another one of my favorites. You will find excuses to smoke meat.
    I'd suggest a cheap and clean pellet like traiger from Costco until you get your technique down, then brach out to something besides just alder with flavored oils.
    Hope some of this helps. Have fun

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Another area to experiment is with different rubs for the meat. Thing is, you can go real simple or real complex. Different spices and seasonings along with the smoke can leave some interesting flavor profiles.

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    So is that on a pellet smoker? Why is the temp so low? Might be it’s a test.
    It's on a traditional offset smoker, and yes - just a test. It works by monitoring the probes for temperature swings and activates a small blower that stokes the fire. When temp's are too high, the (mostly) sealed firebox chokes the heat - when temp's are low, it brings the fan on proportionally to how low the temp needs to be.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    You know I'm gonna get you don't cha

Grats man..
    Tips 4ya if ya want.
    Always pull the silver skin off the ribs
    During marinade use a little whorshitire sauce never taste it..

And feel the pit it will talk to you from your heat, pellet rate.
    Watch your smoke just like injuns of old it tells you what your pit is doing and how your food is doing.
    Sorry for the unsolicited tips

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom