Gun Zone Deals

Talk me off the ledge or push me off. Move from AR to something else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thinking of ditching the AR for something piston ran. Considered the piston conversion by Osprey but then ill have some good money into this in trying to "improve" it.

Sig 556?
    SCAR is too much money.

Convert the AR to piston?
    Go with an original piston design gun?

Screw it all and get an AK?
    Hurley's Gold

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Is a 556 AK an abomination?

I'm very interested in the Sig 556. Nothing wrong with the Mini but not what I'm looking for.

I have a Sig 556 and have no operational issues or problems, and I love the gun, however major parts like bolt, carrier, piston, when/if available, are expensive. I wouldn't necessary say that as a detriment to the gun, but something that should be known, especially to someone switching from the AR.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Not to derail the thread (kinda) but what is the best piston driven AR style rifle?

I have a piston conversion ( Ares Defense) on my Rock River and it works fine. I am in the market for a dedicated piston AR though. I love the SCAR but if I go that route it will be in .308 so not much help in the 5.56 area. I guess two SCARs is possible.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    Why do you feel that you need a piston driven AR

^ this

What can a heavier piston gun do that yours can't? Run cleaner? So what.

qyvatypu.jpg

Over 31k rounds, 1 cleaning

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    So many variables here.

Do you want to stick with 5.56mm/.223 Rem?

If so, I wouldn't recommend going the AK route. They make some decent 5.56mm versions, but costly. Then again, if you're looking at a gas piston upper you may be spending a pretty penny anyway.

Isn't there a carrier tilt problem if you don't match a gas pistol upper with an appropriate lower?

The SIG 556 looks like a fine rifle and the US version can use STANAG mags if I'm not mistaken. Probably not a terribly expensive option.

If you don't mind switching platforms you can go for it, but keep in mind that once you get used to a certain manual of arms you are relearning a new weapon. I've handled and fired a pretty diverse range of firearms so the difference doesn't phase me much but I also suffer a bit from having lots of superficial practice with lots of different guns and only good grasp of a handful of weapons. As someone who does not own an AR I can still attest that it's flexible enough that you should be able to come up with something that does what you want while all the controls stay the same. Kind of like handling just about any Glock or 1911 derivative.

So -
    Are you switching calibers?
    What specifically are you looking to do with the rifle? (Hunting, competition, target shooting, defense, generally fscking around)
    What do you like and dislike about your current rifle? (Will have an impact on what you move to)

Those are just questions off the top of my head.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Is a 556 AK an abomination?

I'm very interested in the Sig 556. Nothing wrong with the Mini but not what I'm looking for.

The sig is great, Not as rugged feeling as the old stamped out AKM but its as close as the Sig wanted to take it, its alittle more "Up-To-Date" compared to the AKM and comes with a free red dot. picitiny Rails, sweet butt stock, and all that other good stuff. I got to Shoot one at the old Gun range I worked at during my college days. Enjoy all the extras, because you will pay some cash for them.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I still don't see why you want a piston rifle. Unless you shoot full auto and have a suppressor, there simply isn't a reason to go there. quality DI guns are lighter and cheaper.

Just want something different, I'd get an AK, but I would get 5.45x45. Stryer looks cool to me, but it doesn't have AR mags.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom