• ...and so much more!
  • PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Not having served in regular military, without leaking a / some classified info. Is there a reason that tanks have so any flat surfaces? Just cheaper and more expediant?
    Based on life expectation in combat or most effective for deflecting incoming fire.
    Lynx Defense

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Speaking from a fabrication standpoint, most of the panels on a tank are heavy steel plate. With that being the case, I'm not sure it's possible to bend out a compound curve on plate that heavy. I do remember reading though that the angles used in some areas are intended to reduce radar signature.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Don't matter what shape it is....

This'll kill it ..........DAID!

1626526409632.png

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Sloped steel plate is used on tanks as a way of effectively increasing the thickness of the armor without increasing the weight of the vehicle. The cross-sectional area of a slanted plate is thicker than a plate measured on the perpendicular (vertical). Historically, there may also have been some consideration given to sloped armor for creating glancing blows or ricochet of anti-tank rounds. However, this strikes me (pardon the pun) as being problematical at best.

Reactive armor (some of the flat surfaces seen, especially around the turret) as first used by the IDF proved itself in combat. That’s one reason you still see it being used on tanks today. As the shaped charge penetrator strikes the reactive armor, the resultant explosion serves to deflect the warhead’s path (at least that’s the theory). There are other on-going efforts to develop and field more pro-active self protection systems for tanks.

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Don't matter what shape it is....

This'll kill it ..........DAID!

View attachment 266861
    I was an M1 tank mechanic and I always enjoyed when the A10s would practice strafing runs on us while out in the field. We just stood there watching them pull off and think " we just died"

On the M1 there are parts of the armor that have depleted uranium encased in steel.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom