• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Just found this Taurus M905 9mm revolver. I have wanted a 9mm revolver and was looking at the Charter Arms Bulldog for a while. I just couldn't make up my mind. I ran across this Taurus 905 in a gun store on consignment. New in box never fired. Serial number showed it was manufactures Dec 2015. Also came with 2 grips, one rubber and one nice wooden type. Beautiful gun, I can't wait to shoot it. Only drawback is it requires a full moon clip. It came with 5 clips so it's almost like loading a magazine.
    Best yet was the price, under $270 plus no tax for consignment purchase.
    Here is a picture.

Taurus 905.JPG
    ARJ Defense ad

Attachments

• Taurus 905.JPG
      Taurus 905.JPG
      1.5 MB · Views: 392

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 23, 2014
    Looks nice, hopefully its one of the good ones. I have a 689 revolver and a model 85 that I bought in '93 or 94' that have been without issue, but some of their stuff more recently has been problematic for some.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    Looks nice, hopefully its one of the good ones. I have a 689 revolver and a model 85 that I bought in '93 or 94' that have been without issue, but some of their stuff more recently has been problematic for some.
    Glad your older ones have been good. Hope this one is too.

Last edited:

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    Took my new Taurus 905 revolver to the range and shot 200 rounds. The kick surprised me at first but easily got used to it. First few rounds missed center of target by 14 to 16 inches at 7 yards. After several more rounds I was able to keep most within a 6 inch circle. I thought the full moon clips would be a pain but it actually helps to load the clips before going and they are ready to load easily in the cylinder at the range. I have 20 clips which holds a 2 boxes (100 ) rounds.

Taurus 905 (1).jpg
    Taurus 905 (2).jpg
    Taurus 905 (3).jpg
    Taurus 905 (4).jpg
    Taurus 905 (5).jpg

Attachments

• Taurus 905 (1).jpg
      Taurus 905 (1).jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 758
    • Taurus 905 (2).jpg
      Taurus 905 (2).jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 757
    • Taurus 905 (3).jpg
      Taurus 905 (3).jpg
      1 MB · Views: 717
    • Taurus 905 (4).jpg
      Taurus 905 (4).jpg
      2.5 MB · Views: 952
    • Taurus 905 (5).jpg
      Taurus 905 (5).jpg
      2.5 MB · Views: 948

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Not knocking it, but asking a serious question. What is the draw of a 9mm snubby revolver ? Ammo availabity and price?
    I'm a fan of subbies but always stuck with .38's loaded with 158 grainers.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Not knocking it, but asking a serious question. What is the draw of a 9mm snubby revolver ? Ammo availabity and price?
    I have a LCR 9MM. I like the fact that I can carry two clips in a single speedloader pouch. I also like that the rounds eject much easier than .38/.357 rounds. And 9mm is a good middle ground between .38+P and .357 in a gun more reliable than any micro-9. I like mine.

If your Taurus shoots as well as my LCR, you have a winner.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    See answer by Seeker_two. His comments are exactly like mine. Carrying pre loaded clips are fast and easy to use. I would say the LCR 9 and this Taurus 905 are comparable as far as performance goes. AND 9 mm is a LOT cheaper
    Jimbo

Last edited:

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    I have a LCR 9MM. I like the fact that I can carry two clips in a single speedloader pouch. I also like that the rounds eject much easier than .38/.357 rounds. And 9mm is a good middle ground between .38+P and .357 in a gun more reliable than any micro-9. I like mine.

If your Taurus shoots as well as my LCR, you have a winner.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Your answer is just like mine plus 9 mm is a lot cheaper.
    Jimbo

zaitcev

Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    I thought the full moon clips would be a pain but it actually helps to load the clips before going and they are ready to load easily in the cylinder at the range.

Now you see why clips came to dominate the competition in recent years. It's gotten to the point where people mill the cylinders of their .357 guns in order to run clips with rimmed brass!

Now what you'll need to figure out is how to transport and carry them. I use a box with a layer in the middle that has holes. It almost is like an egg crate.

My demooning tool is a piece of angle pipe, works like a charm and costs $0.20. It's in .380 ACP but the same principle applies to 9mm, you'll only need a taller box.

taur_clipholder.jpg

Attachments

• taur_clipholder.jpg
      taur_clipholder.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 450

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I have several revolvers in 9 mm. Both Ruger and Smith and Wesson. Love shooting them and all of the reasons for having them apply.

When looking at a used gun like this one, inspect it carefully. Make sure that the tolerances are good and it locks up tight. And if it says Taurus anywhere on the gun, pass. I have had to send way too many back to ever take another chance. :)

Pay very careful attention to the moon clips. The slightest bend can cause problems and bind the cylinder.

I hope this one works out for you and that it gives you many years of good service.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    I have several revolvers in 9 mm. Both Ruger and Smith and Wesson. Love shooting them and all of the reasons for having them apply.

When looking at a used gun like this one, inspect it carefully. Make sure that the tolerances are good and it locks up tight. And if it says Taurus anywhere on the gun, pass. I have had to send way too many back to ever take another chance. :)

Pay very careful attention to the moon clips. The slightest bend can cause problems and bind the cylinder.

I hope this one works out for you and that it gives you many years of good service.

Thanks for the advice. I have already found that certain brands of 9mm will not work because of the brass tolerance. If I stick with Herters it works fine but Blazer Brass will not "fit" correctly. I have not tried other brands yet.
    And I buy Herters at Cabelas for $8.95 a box of 50

Last edited:

zaitcev

Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    I have already found that certain brands of 9mm will not work because of the brass tolerance. If I stick with Herters it works fine but Blazer Brass will not "fit" correctly.
    I face the same exact issue on Taurus Model 380. But it's tolerance of bullets, not brass. The diameter of the bullet is too great for the narrow part of the chamber. Since bullet is conical, the rounds of certain brands land where the bullet diameter meets the chamber and do not go into the cylinder completely, stick out, and prevent the rotation.

It may be possible that Taurus used .38 caliber revolver bores, which are just slightly undersized for the 9mm automatic bullets.

When I discussed this problem with knowledgeable people, I was told that honing revolver cylinder is a time-honored tradition and businesses exist that can take care of it. Here's a sample:
    https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

Top Bottom