• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I’ve been seeing a lot of reviews on the Taurus G3 - a G19 sized 9mm.

The reviews are all good - some small nit picking but overall everybody seems to rate them highly.

$250. That’s pretty amazing for what I’m seeing. Reliable with accuracy on par with other much more expensive pistols.

it’s basically a Glock clone - action-wise but has second strike capability and a decent manual safety.

Finish is utilitarian.

Comes with standard 15 round and 17 round mags. Lifetime warranty.

anybody here have one and care to comment?
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’ve got a PT111 G2, which is fairly similar. Be forewarned there will be a very limited aftermarket and many gunsmiths won’t work on Taurus firearms due to their warranty statement.

It’ll do the job just fine but if you have a problem it’ll have to go to Taurus and that can take a while.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I’ve been seeing a lot of reviews on the Taurus G3 - a G19 sized 9mm.

The reviews are all good - some small nit picking but overall everybody seems to rate them highly.

$250. That’s pretty amazing for what I’m seeing. Reliable with accuracy on par with other much more expensive pistols.

it’s basically a Glock clone - action-wise but has second strike capability and a decent manual safety.

Finish is utilitarian.

Comes with standard 15 round and 17 round mags. Lifetime warranty.

anybody here have one and care to comment?
    For around the same price you can get the Ruger Security 9, and not deal with a Taurus. I haven’t owned a Taurus in several years, but my experiences were bad enough I dont plan on ever owning another one.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't have any experience with newer Taurus pistols, but the reviews on most are great. I've been looking for a used TX-22. I'm too cheap to buy a new one, but as soon as I see a sub $200 used one I will buy it.

Only Taurus I've had that gave me problems was a 92 clone. Never had any issues with their revolvers or Millennium series pistols.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I’ve had pretty good luck with them - but all revolvers.

I must admit that when I see such good reviews and features for $250 or even less... my frugal gun self is interested...
    My truck gun is the Ruger Security 9 which is reliable and cheap at the same time.

https://www.usacarry.com/ruger-security-9-review/

It can be found for under $300.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ruger-security-9-9mm-luger-semiautomatic-pistol

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/202302/3810/ruger-security-9-9mm-pistol

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...i-automatic-9mm-4-barrel-151-rounds?a=2180355

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...I must admit that when I see such good reviews and features for $250 or even less... my frugal gun self is interested...

I tend to think the same way. I wound up with mine as part of a trade. It used to be my EDC; somewhere around 5000 or rounds in, I started getting some failure to feed issues.

Now, mines primarily a range and spare truck gun.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have several Taurus...a PT111 Millennium Pro, a PT709 Slim and a TCP 738; all of which have run without issues. While none are my EDC, I wouldn't hesitated in carrying any of them. I especially like the short trigger pull and second strike capability.

The Mil Pro was obtained via a trade and one of the mags had a bent lip. I sent it to Taurus and got a brand new replacement for free.

For someone on a budget, Taurus makes decent pistols that I've found to be reliable.

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I don't have any experience with newer Taurus pistols, but the reviews on most are great. I've been looking for a used TX-22. I'm too cheap to buy a new one, but as soon as I see a sub $200 used one I will buy it.

Only Taurus I've had that gave me problems was a 92 clone. Never had any issues with their revolvers or Millennium series pistols.
    You missed their $50 rebate over the summer. I picked up 2 brand new ones at about $200 each.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I wouldn't hesitated in carrying any of them. I especially like the short trigger pull and second strike capability.
    My 709 has a long sloppy trigger. There is effectively no travel left by the time it breaks. Its reliable however so I keep it as a range/house gun. It has no value so I'd carry it if I expected to be arrested as it would be a small loss... The second strike thing is nice too. People who shoot alot complain about the plastic innards wearing out. I believe it to be a valid gripe. Read a member today that bought an SR9 Ruger for 250 new. That would be a 150% better choice. Or the Security 9. Or a LE trade in Glock 23, they are going cheap and I'd trust one from an American PD.

Last edited:

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Well I couldn't resist. Picked up a standard G3 from Academy the other day. I had to order it from the web site as they immediately sell when they are sent to the stores.

I haven't shot it yet - need to get to a range and I'm deciding which one I'll hook up with - a friend has invited me back to the ARC... might go that route.

The out of box impressions are good- trigger feels pretty good. Very grippy texturing. I got the 15/17 round mag version. The finish is very basic - looks like Parkerizing or maybe even just blued but that's OK.

I'll post the range report when I get that done. Maybe even shoot a quick vid.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Well, I still haven't gotten to the range. With the virus crap going on I'm working from home now and pretty much just sticking around here - walking the dog, etc. Nice to work for a good company that takes care of it's employees.

I did finally find some mags in stock and ordered a couple of 15 rounders. I like to have at least 3 or 4 for each autoloader.

There are scads of youtube reviews of the G3 out now. All seem to be very positive. While there have been some with a few gripes, this has mostly been minor stuff - nothing about reliability, accuracy, etc.

I do have to agree with most everyone that the 17 round mag with it's spacer thing is weird - I don't like the loose spacer. That's why I just ordered the 15 rounders.

Rooster83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2021
    Laporte Tx
    First off if you want a German made pistol buy a Walther. You couldn’t pay me to own a ruger. Secondly i put 400 rounds of 115gr ball through my new g3 today and it shot flawlessly. They’ve really turned over a new page since making their new line in Georgia and Florida. This being my Taurus pistol I’m pleasantly surprised. No, it’s not as nice as my kimber 1911. My kimber was a 1200 dollar gun. I don’t carry it everyday. At its current price point it’s a solid choice for edc. Just be sure to break it in thoroughly as you should with any gun. I say go for it

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    My EDC is a Taurus G3 in stainless. I have just shy of 1000 rnds through it in just over a year. I have had zero issues and eats anything I shove in it. I did buy the stainless steel recoil spring and striker guide, but other than that, it's still stock. I have closely examined my G3 with my son's service Glock for wear points, etc with about the same round count, both are about the same. In fact, my pistol still feels tighter that the Glock. Never touched a brand new Glock, so I don't know what the tolerances are. Other that the trigger pull differences, both are pretty equal.

Top Bottom