Taurus go BOOM,

V-Tach

TGT Addict
Forum Sponsor
Sep 30, 2012
South Texas
Had a Glock 23 go kaboom a couple of weeks ago on the range......case blew out at the rim (at the 6 o'clock position) sending the magazine flying out of the gun.....no one injured and gun survived without major damage....I asked if they were reloads and he said no......when asked to see his ammo....he brought a zip lock bag off the range... He claimed the vendor at the gun show told him it was "bulk ammo".......

I've never seen bulk ammo sold with so many different head stamps mixed together.....it was obviously reloaded ammo....

New and inexperienced shooters are buying anything they can.......and some folks will sell anything they can......

Last edited:

Ozzman

Aug 17, 2015
El Paso, Texas
It will work fine for a little while. Until it doesn’t.
Good point.
The G3 and G2C are working fine, but they still relatively have a low round count for me. I guess I haven't learned my lesson yet especially with the experiences I have had with some of their older models.

My PT 111 completely stopped working around 800 rounds, and even after sending it to Taurus and waiting for 6 months, I got the same pistol back with the same issue. Needless to say, it is no longer in my possession. I even feel bad for selling it as-is (yes, I was honest with the sale too. Guy said he "could fix it" so have at it bud).

I had a model 85 as an ankle/BUG that I would practice a lot with for about 5 years. The cylinder blew out into 20 pieces using standard Independence ammunition. Couldn't have had more than 500 rounds through in total. Gave me a few shallow cuts on my left-hand knuckle, and although Taurus replaced the revolver outright I still sold it new to another gunshow'er and never shot an 85 again.

Axxe55

Trophy Husband. Just Ask My Wife!
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
My input on Taurus. I have owned many of various Taurus pistols going back to the mid 1980's. Honestly, I have never had a bad one yet, and I still own a couple.

Taurus doesn't necessarily make a bad product, anymore than any other gun manufacturer. Where they have a huge problem at, or use to, was their Quality Control. These problem guns should never have seen the outside of the manufacturing plant and into the hands of consumers.

Reason you aren't seeing the same issues with other manufacturers, is that their QC is way better. Taurus is kind of hit or miss with their products. You either end up with a great one or a bad one!

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
Taurus is one of those guns that performs best in a sock drawer.
It will work fine for a little while. Until it doesn’t.
So a person on a budget who wants a gun to keep beside the bed and that will never really be fired much if at all will be well served by a Taurus. No sense in spending many hundreds of dollars on a high end firearm if its just gonna live in the nightstand.
If you’re seriously going to run your firearm you will experience massive fail With a Taurus.
Your money. Spend it how you wish.
Maybe, maybe not. You own a bunch of newer Taurus? Mine work okay and I actually shoot them more often then my Glocks or other guns for a simple reason, they are truck guns and so I always have one when at the range.

vmax

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2013
Someone said Glock won't warranty guns shot with lead ammo..

I don't recall reading that exactly but most gun manufacturers won't warranty guns shot with reloads

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
Lots of opinion, zero evidence or proof to back it up...
Literally have had more issues with Taurus firearms than any other brand. My associates likewise have had more issues with Taurus firearms than any other brand. Read any of the forums - Taurus has more problems than just about any other brand besides Jennings or Raven.

Good for you if you haven't had one break - you probably either got lucky or haven't put enough rounds thru it to break it.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
Son has a Taurus Tracker, 44 magnum. It has a total of 18 rounds through it with nary a problem. I tell you what tho, it just doesn't feel right. Like it's made of pot metal.

Top Bottom