0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I don't recall reading that exactly but most gun manufacturers won't warranty guns shot with reloads
    Most gun manufacturers don't use polygonal barrels either.
    A reliable gun manufacturer spends a lot of money and time designing and researching a pistol to make it as safe as possible for public use. When Glock says don't use lead bullets in their products they have a good reason. I have seen two Glocks explode do the the owners using reloaded lead bullets. While I love reloading and have done it for over 40 years, I will pass on lead bullets in my stock Glock. My other Glock has an aftermarket national match barrel with standard lands and grooves. I will shoot lead reloads in this pistol.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is why I'm still leery of Taurus products. Years ago my grandfather decided to 'upgrade' from his old S&W Chief Special .38 - he traded it at a gunshop for a Taurus Millennium Pro - that gun had a broken ejector right out the box. Gun shop swapped it for another (gun shops don't typically trade out guns so I was surprised at that) for another. The 2nd gun he got couldn't put 5 rounds in 5 inches at 7 yards for any shooter who tried it. A trip to Taurus fixed that issue - they didn't indicate if the barrel was jacked up or the locking block or what. After maybe 500 rounds total thru it after ward though, one of the ears on he trigger shoe cracked at the pin. That convinced him to get rid of it (he gave it to a family member) and he bought a Glock 26 (my original recommendation to him) to replace it.

A friend of mine picked up a Taurus G2C last year. I shot it. He shot it. He's probably got over a thousand rounds thru it without hiccup at this point - and I admit I was tempted to get one as a spare gun because they were selling for $159.99 on sale - but my previous bad experience with them just won't let me buy a modern Taurus auto.

I did own for a time a Taurus .357 Mag - old school original blued steel and solid build quality. I didn't put many rounds thru it - I toted it as my anti-cougar gun for a while when venturing into the mountains back in Oregon. If all Taurus pistols were made like that, I'd have no issue buying or recommending one - but Taurus uses poorly cast slides vs forged, and their MIM parts just aren't upto the quality you find in higher tier guns. Investment casting can be good, if you do it like Ruger / Caspian, but Taurus isn't Ruger or Caspian.

I hope the dude recovers, and I hope he replaces that little pocket rocket with a better gun like an M&P Shield, a Glock 43, or a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard.

Well, I have owned both athe GLOCK 26 and the Taurus Millennium Pro (PT-145) for years, as well as several other GLOCKS, S&W's, Colts, etc. I have shot both numerous times. My EDC is the Taurus. Never had a moment's trouble with ANY Taurus.

In the above case, it looks that the barrel, including the chamber, is still intact. Perhaps a factory "hot" load blew back from the breech ?

As someone said above, If you are around long enough, you'll see all sorts of problems, including exploding guns from lots of manufacturers.

In short, from my personal experience, TAURUS doesn't deserve a bad reputation.

leVieux

TXP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't had personal experience with Taurus since the late 1990s. A few of their .357 and .38 revolvers passed through my hands as well as a couple PT 99. One revolver shaved more lead through the cylinder gap than than Norelco shaves faces. Other two revolvers would bind up from poor parts fitting or minor wear. The last revolver's internal parts were fitted so poorly that it was on par with cap gun operation and rattled badly when shook. The PT 99s worked with the exception of the safety/decocker that wore out at less than 1K rounds. I ended my Taurus ownership in 1998 with a 0-5 record.

As of late, people that I know who own the G-series 9mm pistols have been reporting good luck. I'll not go back to Taurus. Give me an old police trade in Glock over a brand new G-series.

I've had guns from reputable manufacturers not live up to minimal expectations, but overall their guns don't fail as badly or nearly as often as Taurus. Ruger and Henry have come through with warranty and after sales support like none others. Bushmaster and CAI support was okay. For Glock, an attempt was made. Don't get me started with SIG and how hard it was to get one stinking plastic grip panel replaced because according to them, German grip panels do not crack under any circumstances and never come from the factory cracked.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Son has a Taurus Tracker, 44 magnum. It has a total of 18 rounds through it with nary a problem. I tell you what tho, it just doesn't feel right. Like it's made of pot metal.

OMG, that can't be good.

I bought one of these at a yard sale way back when that was possible... paid $30 for it and carried it in the woods when deer/elk hunting. Got rid of it as soon as I could afford something better. That was in the days when I was poor and gun poor because I had to sell all my guns to pay for divorce lawyers.

It's a Rohm/RG .38, mine was a 4" barrel and just felt so light/cheap.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    OMG, that can't be good.

I bought one of these at a yard sale way back when that was possible... paid $30 for it and carried it in the woods when deer/elk hunting. Got rid of it as soon as I could afford something better. That was in the days when I was poor and gun poor because I had to sell all my guns to pay for divorce lawyers.

It's a Rohm/RG .38, mine was a 4" barrel and just felt so light/cheap.

maxresdefault.jpg
    I have a Rohm Model 63 in 22 lr that I bought circa 1971 from the long extinct place called Gulf Mart. Looks like an old Western SA, but it is DA. Paid $27.50 for it. I didn't know anything about Rohm. That was my first firearm purchase as an adult. It worked fine and doesn't really feel all that cheaply made. Still works as far as I know, heh. Haven't shot it since, guessing 1985.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I have a Rohm Model 63 in 22 lr that I bought circa 1971 from the long extinct place called Gulf Mart. Looks like an old Western SA, but it is DA. Paid $27.50 for it. I didn't know anything about Rohm. That was my first firearm purchase as an adult. It worked fine and doesn't really feel all that cheaply made. Still works as far as I know, heh. Haven't shot it since, guessing 1985.

I never had an actual problem with it. Just spooked by the pot metal. Sure as heck wouldn't want to put a +P JHP round thru it!

I don't remember what model it was... and honestly, when I thought of that gun "RG" is what came to my mind. I remember looking it up once upon a time, this was 20 or more yrs ago, but I'm really not 100% sure. Lot of memory loss under the bridge since then...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Having a gun, any gun, any manufacturer, is about confidence. If you lack confidence in your weapon, that's a huge deal.

Part of the reason, I don't try to convince anyone that has had a product that has given them problems and they have tried to correct the problem, and it has left them soured on it. No one can instill that confidence back for them.

Personally, I suggest they move onto another manufacturer to try out.

The ones I have issue with are the internet know it all's that go around spreading nonsense, like they heard about their best friend's brother's cousin had a problem with a certain gun, and they go about perpetrating nonsense on any gun they can as it it were the truth and gospel, when in fact they haven't a clue, because they are going by second, third or fourth hand information, and they don't have any facts about what really happened with the gun in question.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Most gun manufacturers don't use polygonal barrels either.
    A reliable gun manufacturer spends a lot of money and time designing and researching a pistol to make it as safe as possible for public use. When Glock says don't use lead bullets in their products they have a good reason. I have seen two Glocks explode do the the owners using reloaded lead bullets. While I love reloading and have done it for over 40 years, I will pass on lead bullets in my stock Glock. My other Glock has an aftermarket national match barrel with standard lands and grooves. I will shoot lead reloads in this pistol.
    I own 8 of them
    I'm fully aware of polygonal rifling
    But I have to ask again about where you read in the owners manual that Glock mentions "lead" bullets?

I just never saw that personally, now I have to dig out my 19X box..my newest and read that owners manual
    Maybe I've overlooked it
    Screenshot_20201202-210224_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-210224_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    We have owned a Taurus Raging Bull (same as a judge, but beefier, heavier, shoots 45lc/.410/454 casull) for 7 or 8 years.

Ran at least 600 rounds of 45LC, maybe 300 .410, and another 150 or so 454. Never had a problem with it. Lockup and trigger, etc are all tight and confidence inspiring.

I love the look of the gun (looks almost cartoonish it's so huge, and bears more than a passing resemblance to Hellboy's pistol), and the feel of how heavy it is.

With that said, though, I'll acknowledge that 1 person's experience is simply an anecdote, and does not an empirical data point make...

Top Bottom