• ...and so much more!
  • studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Is there such a thing as a .380+P?
    I think there is but there isn't. I don't think there's an official .380+p recognized but there manufactures like Buffalo bore that load some with a little extra mustard. Never shot any.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    See post #19.
    I saw it. I posed the question because I know that there is no official .380 +P. Factory or reloaded ammo with a double dose would cause a kaboom but that .380 case is pretty small. I don't know if you could double it.
    I have several Taurus firearms, all work quite well. I also have a Rossi .22 rifle (I believe they are Taurus) and they make the same rifle for Mossberg as the plinkster. Good little rifle.
    I think the newer Taurus guns are literally a good bang for the buck, no pun intended.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I reload .380. With powders like titegroup the case isn’t close to full.

”What about all the other brands?”

Every gun can kaboom, just notice Taurus has more than their market share.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I think there is but there isn't. I don't think there's an official .380+p recognized but there manufactures like Buffalo bore that load some with a little extra mustard. Never shot any.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's my recollection too. It's not officially recognized but some hot loads are available.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    This past week "Guns and Ammo" T.V. had a laudatory Taurus infomercial as part of one their episodes.

So much for their credibility...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    So what about the other manufacturers that have had similar issues? All listed above have had issues, yet you still recommend those.

The incidence rate with Taurus is WAY higher than with more reputable manufacturers. Of the 20 some handguns I've owned, plus those which I've gotten to shoot that belonged to others - budget guns like Kel Tec and Taurus were far more prone to failures and breakages than guns like Glock, Smith & Wesson, Beretta, Ruger or Sig.

Taurus cuts corners to keep costs down. Its not like Glocks and M&Ps are super expensive to produce (IIRC Glocks cost less than $100 each to build) so if Taurus is even half the profit margin of Glock, you're getting a gun with far less attention to detail and lower quality materials and processes to build it. If a $600 Glock costs under $100 to make, that $159 Taurus probably cost $50 or less.

If all of a sudden you saw Glocks blowing up or having frames crack, or having trigger shoes crack from normal use and normal loads - that would severely stain their rep. Of the millions of Glocks in circulation, a relatively few of them have major issues.

Taurus *has* been working to dig themselves out of the hole - the G2C that belongs to my friend was a tempting gun to buy, but Taurus hasn't been building better guns long enough to earn my trust.

I owned a Kel Tec P40 for a while - *it* was a decent shooter and actually the only .40 I've owned that I sort of miss - and for a Kel Tec it was surprisingly reliable - but Kel Tec as a whole have been shit guns that are far more prone to breakage than others, and I wouldn't recommend them either.

Taurus and other cheap guns usually have two things going for them - they're typically better than a pointy stick (until they fail) and they usually have awesome warranties. They *need* the great warranties, or people wouldn't buy them at all, given their spotty reputation for reliability. It usually comes down to materials and build quality more than design - Kel Tec shows us that. Looks how many P3AT and P11 clones are out there that work better than the Kel Tec made guns. Would you go for the Kel Tec P11, or the Ruger LC9? The Kel Tec P3AT, or the Ruger LCP?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    My distain for Taurus is unchanged even tho I recently purchased a TX-22.
    Every previous owned Taurus failed. Normally I recommend against Taurus.
    Jury is still out on the TX. It is a <$250 plastic gun so I’m not expecting steel gun performance or longevity. Just a range toy so if it fails who cares.
    Most certainly never use a Taurus as a serious SD weapon.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    A stark reminder of why we wear ANSI approved safety glasses while shooting.

And all the shrapnel from shooting steel plates.

He shot three rounds and then kaboom. Barrel looks okay, slide broke into pieces. Squib? Out of battery firing? Sure would like to see the brass. I would bet this is an ammo and not gun problem but all speculation for now.

Squibs can be deceiving if one is wearing heavy or double ear protection.
    1606750944908.png

Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus.
    Most certainly never use a Taurus as a serious SD weapon.

:) :) :)

Hmmmm, my wife carried one of these for many years. Although we/she didn't put a lot of rounds thru it. Taurus 605 .357 stainless, concealed hammer, ported barrel.
    1606751222843.png

She also has a little .380 mouse gun that is a real PITA to shoot.
    1606751336131.png

And a Circuit Judge that is fun to shoot but illegal for hunting in PNW
    1606751416974.png

She's almost 80 now... thinking about getting her a .22lr Ruger
    1606751720763.png

And I have a Public Defender in the nightstand
    1606751493905.png

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I work for a Forensic Architect. We study structures that fail all the time. The interesting thing to me is the plastic frame remained intact while the stronger metal failed. This could either be a metal issue caused during production or someone using inappropriate ammo.
    I was near a guy years ago at our public range. He was shooting a Glock 19. He was shooting some potent lead bullet 9mm shells he had reloaded. The range officer reminded him that Glock does not warranty gun shot with lead ammo. He smiled and said he had done it before with no problems. Well, a few minutes later the Glock exploded sending the shooter to the hospital.
    A handgun is a serious item. You must treat them with great respect. I have been a pistol shooter for over fifty years. I reload for everything I shoot. I still have all of fingers.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    The webbing of the metal around the ejection port just failed and instantly became two pieces. From the photo, you can see it just sheared clean off. The pieces the guy is holding in the photo doesn't show a barrel failure from overpressure, but rather a structural failure of the slide itself. It looks like the butt of the slide when it became two pieces hit him in the face and caused his injuries.

I am wondering what kind of loads this guy was shooting since .380 does not generate too much pressure (21.5 KSI) if loaded properly. I would speculate that with the lack of .380 available on the shelves these were probably hand loads. I have found that the difficulty with reloading .380 is getting precise powder drops. The range of minimum to maximum charge is very slim (usually between 1 grain or less) for most of the smokeless powders out there. I hope this wasn't the case for this poor guy.

Top Bottom