• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Aug 1, 2014
    Getting ready to buy a Judge to carry outside with .410 ammo for snakes. Cant decide on the snubby for weight and holster comfort or the long barrel for reduced recoil and better patterns.

Would appreciate any input. Also any experience on # 9 vs # 8 shot in this gun.
    Military Camp

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    have experience with the 6”.

Worthless.
    Shot a rabbit at about 10’ , mid body, with #6. Tracked fur and blood ( very faint) for over 100 yards before it got into a green briar jungle.

The pattern with the bird shot is so wide at 10’ that it is worthless. At 2-5’ if might be tight enough to kill a snake, but you would be inside the strike zone.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    My experience mirrors Hoji's.
    I've had much better luck with a .22 revolver and birdshot. Even in my little NAA revolver I get decent enough patterns to take out copperheads at 6-8'.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    2 1/2. The 6" throws doughnuts, due to the longer rifling. The shorty throws decent shot patterns, and still maintains acceptable accuracy with .45 LC - at 'social distances'.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Aug 1, 2014
    You guys got me thinking now. I have been using a 6” .22 WMR with the #9 shot shells and it does a decent job on snakes but you need to be close. I tried the .38 Special shot shells out of a 4” revolver and the pattern was crap. Was hoping the Judge would give me better results

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You guys got me thinking now. I have been using a 6” .22 WMR with the #9 shot shells and it does a decent job on snakes but you need to be close. I tried the .38 Special shot shells out of a 4” revolver and the pattern was crap. Was hoping the Judge would give me better results
    A long stick is just as effective, less dangerous to you, and can also be used to just scoot them along if killing is not required.

cliffhanger

May 9, 2010
    south of san antonio
    am impressed with the judge public defender with #6 or #7.5 2.5 in bird loads it has turned many a rattlesnake into a good snake,,,,, distance is something to be considered but ,,, Has done a good job for us

retired deputy

Mar 19, 2022
    the big country
    I would favor the 6". But I would go that route more for the 45 colt application.

If you are close enough to the snake, you don't really have to worry about holes in the pattern. If you are shy and keeping your distance, then you do have a problem.

Top Bottom