Tax Id Holder QUESTION- Comproller Taxes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    Last year I applied for and got a tax Id to sell and charge tax in texas as a buisness. I never opened the buisness up and charged nothing. The paper the state sent me just sat in a folder at home. I get a letter from the comprollers office stating I owed taxes based on a ESTIMATED 1,000, sales,excise and something else. It stated since I did not file they estimate that charge per the letter. Is this normal or does this not sound right. Was I suppose to file state taxes or something(texas has none obviously)? If yes, in which way because im only use to filing federal. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys
    Venture Surplus ad

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    Most holders have to file quarterly. Now you will have to convince them you had no sales. Need to ALWAYS read that government stuff, cause all the rules are written by them.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Had the same problem last year, just call them up. Cant remember if it was the phone call or an email, but it was an easy fix...

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    Most holders have to file quarterly. Now you will have to convince them you had no sales. Need to ALWAYS read that government stuff, cause all the rules are written by them.

Yep,you had to file quarterly.Makes no difference whether you had any sales,taxable/non-taxable,or not. It's all in the paperwork they sent you.
    You also have to file paperwork stating you are out of business,final report.

Now you get to prove you haven't defrauded the State of Texas.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Find yourself a competent (Board-Certified) State Tax attorney. It will cost you, but he/she will be able to steer you in the correct direction.

It is sad but true, our laws were written by Lawyers, not by ordinary folks with common sense.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    You should be able to call the comptrollers office and get it fixed over the phone.
    We have to file monthly on the wife's store (if your sales are over xx? monthly--other wise quarterly).
    Our cabins are only Hotel- motel tax and it's done quarterly, but I still have to call every Jan (automated call) and tell them zero sales tax.
    Had some really nice people from the state call and walk us thru all of this.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    and if you fail to file and pay the fines they will file a lean on you property, as they don't care about you just money.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Why is that? I file every Jan. with 0 sales and owe nothing. Just curious.

It depends if your returns fail to meet a $$ threshold. Then you qualify for an annual submittal vs a quarterly one. If you fail to file, even a no sales return there is a penalty.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    you have to file at least once per year at least to say that you made nothing. You got a letter because you did not file. They pretty much picked an arbitrary number and say that you owe taxes on that.

just file a return with the state and beg forgiveness. Then, if you do not plan to open the business, cancel you tax id. I ran a small computer repair business back in the '80s where I would go to the business or home. You know, before there was nerds on call. Well, when business could not pay the bills, I closed up shop and canceled my tax id.

-Glen, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    Goverment picking on the small company EVEN THOUGH its not a company yet. lol. Go figure shitty goverment hoes always wanting to make money off someone. SOmeone=Everyone, unless your in the goverment or a politian

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Goverment picking on the small company EVEN THOUGH its not a company yet. lol. Go figure shitty goverment hoes always wanting to make money off someone. SOmeone=Everyone, unless your in the goverment or a politian

They aren't picking on you. The FAQ's even tell you to file every year, and as soon as you requested the ID to use for your business, the business exists.

Personal responsibility.

Top Bottom