• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    My uncle is looking at the TC Compass for a long range shooter. I have no experience with modern firearms since I'm a milsurp guy.
    Any of you gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) own a Compass and have long range experience with one?
    ARJ Defense ad

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My uncle is looking at the TC Compass for a long range shooter. I have no experience with modern firearms since I'm a milsurp guy.
    Any of you gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) own a Compass and have long range experience with one?

I would highly advise against it. Yes you can get one in your hand cheap... but not much to be desired with that factory trigger. I hate where the safety is too. I bought my compass on sell with a rebate for $225. I thought... How can ya beat that? Now that I own it. I wish I would have just spent a little more and bought A savage that i'm used to.

If I was him, I'd spend a little more and get a Ruger American. Or better yet, a Savage with a heavy barrel.

This gentleman's .02

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    My Compass is a great rifle, more than I expected for a sub $300 gun. It shoots 1moa with factory Ammo and since it’s a cheap rifle I don’t have to worry about messing it up. That being said, I wouldn’t use it for long range. Spend a few hundred more and get a Remington 700, they have $100 rebates on some models right now so I’m sure he could find one for around $500 after rebate. A cheaper option is the Ruger American.

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    Thanks for the advice. I tried to push him toward the Savage or Remington. All was good til he saw the price on the Compass.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the advice. I tried to push him toward the Savage or Remington. All was good til he saw the price on the Compass.

Does he already have glass? That's a whole other piece of the puzzle. Don't wanna skimp on glass. That is if he is wanting to go long. Your looking at $500-1500...

Not trying to be disrespectful at all... but long range is NOT a cheap sport. If he is having a hard time spending the right moola on a rifle.... he is really setting the wrong tone right out of the gate.

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    Money isn't necessarily the issue. He is aware of the optics needed, as well. He was wondering if the Compass, at that price point, would do the job. I didn't believe so, but promised to see if anyone had first hand experience.

Top Bottom